Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Swollen Veins Underneath Tongue

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
hey, okay i dont know the proper name for this, so i'll describe it, the two ball type veins underneath my tongue were swollen and a long white sharp pointy thing came out of one, it was there for a few hours. I was sent to hospital and the nurses and doctors said that they had never seen or heard of it before. It went away right in front of their eyes, and all the doctors did was give me headache pills.
That was 3yrs ago, now a few months ago underneath my tongue and down my neck would feel like the muscles were freezing up and pulling, and I had feared it was going to happen again.
And sure enough a few days ago it did, and went away, but now the vein under my tongue on the right side is swelled up and has a white large spot, and it is painfully down my neck also.

pls help, do I go back to the hospital that dont know what it is, or will it go away??? Sad
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper bennyjaq
|

replied May 18th, 2010
Swollen Veins under Tongue
Bennyjaq: Did this get resolved? I have one of those white pointy things, too. Mine went away, but now it's back.
|

replied October 17th, 2010
swollen glands under tongue
I have the same problem. And ive been looking it up for hours and cant find anything on it. Has anyone had any success in finding out what this is?
|

replied March 5th, 2011
Same thing.. almost
ya, strange just happened to me.. I was sitting on the couch and all of a sudden my tongue was on fire and one of the veins under my tongue got huge, felt like i had a worm under my tongue.. FREAKED me out. I stayed calm and drank some cold water for the burning, and withing 5 minute everything went back to normal. Was that about? The only foods I had all day were a protein shake for breakfast with an energy drink (speed stack) and later snacked on some blue corn organic chips (high in salt)
|

replied April 2nd, 2011
swollen vein under tongue
I have the same problem. I started with me tasting something draining under my tongue. Then notice something white on the vein, then something long and white came out...twice after feeling swollen. Went to doctor, but was told to go to ear,nose and throat doctor. rinsed mouth with peroxide rinse, felt burning from the vein. still do not know what this is and what causes it or a cure. All of this started a month ago.
|

User Profile
replied April 3rd, 2011
Also have swollen thing under my tongue-can it cause a lisp?
I wish someone knew what this is because I have it too... so strange!

One thing I noticed is that I lisp now and I never had before. And I'm not sure if it's due to this swollen gland or due to a mini stroke I suffered last week.

Do any of you lisp when you speak certain words? (try words like "sixth" "desktop" "seven" "seventh" "seen") ..something strange when I say words with "S"s in them,

Would like to know. If it's the swollen gland then I don't have to fear that the mini stroke I had causes this strange lisp that I never had before (I had major slurring during the incident and a lisp but the slurring went away but I still have a lisp!)
|

replied June 24th, 2011
Could Listerine have anything to do with it?
I have the exact same thing, and sometimes I also get a big lump on my throat, on the same side as the swollen vein under the tongue. It comes and goes. This time it's bigger and more painful than ever, and I even have a light fever. A question to all of you seem to have the same thing: Do you all use a strong mouth wash, such as Listerine? I use Listerine vigorously morning and night, and I keep the mouth wash in my mouth for a few minutes before spitting it out, and I also gurgle with it. I was wondering if this could have anything to do with it.
|

replied July 28th, 2011
Pain under tongue and burning
SRW787...I believe you are right! it is mouth wash. I started doing it Monday and by wed my tongue and underneath were burning. Still does right now because I washed my mouth with it two nights ago. It has to be that, I've never experienced this before until this. I've been using Crest. Hope this helps, I will let you know if it goes away since I stoped using it
|

replied July 28th, 2011
Pain under tongue and burning
SRW787...I believe you are right! it is mouth wash. I started doing it Monday and by wed my tongue and underneath were burning. Still does right now because I washed my mouth with it two nights ago. It has to be that, I've never experienced this before until this. I've been using Crest. Hope this helps, I will let you know if it goes away since I stoped using it
|

replied July 10th, 2012
I think it has something to do with it. For me, I have the same exact problem but I think my toothpaste affected it. I kept my toothbrush in my mouth for a bit too long I believe.
|

replied July 18th, 2011
What is this swollen skin "bubble" under my tongue?
It seems like I have the same thing. Under the right side of my tongue I have this "bubble" that will swell so big that you can, like, see through it, almost & it has like a division down the middle. It is, as though, there are two or one that has swelled into another part. Like a cell that is multiplying into halves.

My boyfriend says it looks like a blood blister but I don't really see blood or see it bloody inside, a lil veiny maybe.

When it is not swollen & "bubbled" up, it almost goes all the way down to normal but I can see a couple of white spots.

Some months ago I had a molar (2nd to last tooth on the r.side) pulled out and since then I have bitten my tongue (UNDER my tongue)a few times which is right in that exact spot (same area with a couple different spots within that small area). So, I'm wondering if the "white spots" are my bite marks. When I bit under my tongue it was super painful because that skin is so thin & whoever heard of anyone biting "UNDER" their tongue??

I figured out I must've been turning my tongue up & sideways to expose that area of my tongue to the area of the lost tooth thereby making it more vulnerable to biting. Make sense to anyone??

I've googled it & that's how I got to this page. I read some stuff about salivary duct blockage & also swollen white bumps on tongue (tip & sides, one or a few). Although, those two are different (I think) but I understand the white bumps on tip of tongue are swollen taste buds resulting from salty or spicy foods and will go away in a couple of days & NOT to take them off (which I never have!) I wonder if the two are related or are the same thing.

I haven't had a chance to look more into blocked salivary gland or duct or salivary stone. I also noticed when my "bubble" is swollen & I thrust my tongue or the "bubble" spot towards the front of my teeth to get a closer look, that looking behind or beyond it that section (like going towards back of tongue yet attached to "bubble") there looks like a slightly swollen linear section too! ! I'm not sure if that is just the muscle from me pushing my tongue forward or if it is more swollen tissue.

So, for now I'm leaning towards salivary duct blockage/stone. I will try lots of water to drink daily & gargle w/hydrogen peroxide, water mix - I eat some unflavored yogurt w/active enzymes? or active something. I will also probably drink some cranberry juice too. I will stay away from salty & spicy foods to see if it clears up! If not, I will have to go to doctor to make sure it's not cancerous.

I will definitely be chewing a lot more carefully too. I will chew slower, NOT talk & chew at same time (which I shouldn't be doing anyway) as well as make SURE my tongue is flat while chewing so I don't bite under my tongue anymore! !
WHAT DO YOU THINK??
|

replied September 21st, 2011
Swollen sublingual veins
This happened to me too. Veins under tongue (sublingual) swollen from normal to 5x size in space of a few minutes and i couldn't talk or eat for around 45mins until it cleared up by itself. Really uncomfortable and painful while it lasted, then back to normal like nothing had happened.
Saw dr today (3 days later) and she didn't know what it was.
Anything to worry about? Seems similar to one of the symptoms of mumps described online, but because it went away so quickly i'm hoping it is nothing?
|

replied October 14th, 2011
bumps under tongue
I have it too. It has come and gone for the past 5 years. I can go months with no flare up and then it can last 5 minutes to a week. It never hurts me it is just really uncomfortable because it feels like there is something in my mouth that shouldn't be there. I am not worried just curious. I have not come across any answers online.
|

replied January 14th, 2012
Sharp white spot under tongue
My wife woke up and had the same sharp white spot under the tongue and swollen gland. I did some research and found other people would push on there glands and the white spot would pop out of there mouth like a grain of rice and it worked. White thing popped out with alot of saliva and felt relief only a little swelling but is going down. Hope this helps
|

replied January 26th, 2012
Just then I had an issue where it felt like a vein under my tongue swelled up and the muscles in my throat tightened and burned. Now I have a head ache but I don't use mouth wash. Anyone found out what it is yet?
Im not sure if I had the white part issue though if looks like it would if pimples have popped on the vein under my tongue
|

replied April 21st, 2012
i found that under my tongue keeps swollen on and off, since the past 26 years! Every time its swollen the vein became harden and painful. After awhile n sometimes longer, suddenly, salty saliva burst out slowly from a small hole on the vein and turn it back to normal.

But now, i'm experiencing different type of swollen at the inner left gum vein and gland under my left tongue. it's already almost 2 months and i only can feel it with my tongue. Cant touch it with my finger or see it with my bare eyes. I'm also feel dryness around the swollen area. If my tongue touched the dry gum zone for few minutes (2-3 minutes), it will sticked a little bit
|

replied May 15th, 2012
white bubbles. >:-0!
Wth -_- I was making out and then I realized I got this o_0? Normal!?
|

replied September 9th, 2012
Found some help
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/ar ticle/001040.htm
If it spreads to the neck it could be cancer. The only way to get rid of it is surgery. Most of these things arent harmful, but have a dentist check you for swollen salivary gland tumors. Hopes this helps everyone...and mine did not come as a result of mouthwash. I was just eating grapes
|

replied January 5th, 2013
Try oil pulling ....its a simple yet wonderful therapy ....and im sure it will help...Smile.
|

replied January 29th, 2013
Swollen sublingual vein under tongue
I have a swollen sublingual vein on the left side of my tongue. It swells till its painful but the swelling comes and goes. There are two lumps on the vein one near the middle of the vein and one near the floor of my mouth.

My gp doesn't know what it is.

Has anyone actually had this and found a resolution?
|

replied June 21st, 2013
vein under tongue getting enlarged
yes I get one too now and then, goes off by itself. leaves a ulcerous pain in my tongue. What I have observed is when I eat too much of chicken it comes and i feel somehow it is food related as normally I observer it forming when eating only. kindof some food irritates the tongue and next thing, the vein starts to bulge some times it goes of within minutes, last it stayed the whole night.
Hope I get a concrete answer for this problem
|

replied July 12th, 2013
SWOLLEN VEINS UNDER TONGUE CIRCULATION CANDIDA
I had the veins swell, I ate about 1/4 of a bunch of cilantro. It helps pull out mercury and metals out of the body. Also took a Natural Vit E 400 IU
Helps with circulation, blood flow better,Also ate some garlic helps blood flow too.
Dont know if it is thick blood, clots or the body needing to clean but the next day it was gone and normal. Let me say I do eat fish some maybe 1 to 2 times a week.
I do not take any fish oil Dr Fuhrman in his book "Eat Right America"
says most fish oil that you buy is rancid, his testings show. I did find the Sea Buckthorn Oil has the Omega 3,6, 7 & 9 so take it 2 times a week might do more. I eat flax, sunflower, and sesame seeds too most days to get good oils. good to rotate foods and supplements. if tongue feels too large in mouth can be sign of low thyroid. white tongue usually is candida fungal problem. Garlic is great antifungal also the butter and coconut oil. iodized salt is also antifungal can rinse with but salt can ^ BP so use sparingly and eat celery to keep it low. Hot sauce is good too helps with alot in the body or peppers. folic acid which is in multi vitamins and apples I do eat some, helps keep the homocystine levels low, so keep heart functioning well.
|

replied April 3rd, 2014
I am a Type 1 diabetic, and I have noticed this happens to me when I get severely dehydrated then take 1 to 2 bites of food, it almost seems that the saliva glands go into shock. The 2 veins under my tongue and then all the saliva glands at the back of the tongue start burning to the point that I want to cry it hurts so bad. I drink lots of water when it starts and usually goes away after 5-10 minutes later.
|

replied April 3rd, 2014
I am a Type 1 diabetic, and I have noticed this happens to me when I get severely dehydrated then take 1 to 2 bites of food, it almost seems that the saliva glands go into shock. The 2 veins under my tongue and then all the saliva glands at the back of the tongue start burning to the point that I want to cry it hurts so bad. I drink lots of water when it starts and usually goes away after 5-10 minutes later.
|