Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

Why Does Alcohol Cause Hallucinations Even Hours Later?

Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....
Have you had hallucinations after ingesting just alcohol?
Yes, many times
Never
Only when I was very drunk
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
75%  75%  [ 3 ]
25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 4
I never had hallucinations, hangovers, vomitting, headaches when I was in college and drank like a fish. Later, after several life tragedies, I began drinking again. There were physical consequences at 30: I got nauseous, headaches, fatigued and tired. I couldn't go on with life as if I'd done nothing to my body the way I did at 20. I experienced internal pain, withdrawls, dizziness, 'the room spinning,' and EVEN HALLUCINATIONS.

Why does alcohol cause hallucinations? I had some hallucinations 12 hours after my last drink. I'd even 'slept it off.' This really freaked me out. I'm glad there are consequences, now. I got off too easy binge drinking in college. Now, I have deterents.

In college, I was always the coolest. Never hungover. Never looked drunk. I could "hold my liquor." Now, about the same weight, I don't think as clearly, my body doesn't hold up well, and I'm even hallucinating. I know all this is bad, and it is a wake up call. It's time to stop and I am, but does anybody know why I experience these symptoms now?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper reddwarff100
|

replied August 13th, 2007
Experienced User
CHC… I drank like a fish for years, but I never hallucinated. I have heard guys in AA meetings tell stories of the DT’s Delirium tremens. That is something that does happen to us. But from what I hear, they are more like nightmares than what I think of as hallucinations. I have tripped many times, and what guys tell me, DT are nothing like that. Much more scary.

Also, DT’s can be fatal, people die from alcohol withdrawal.

Just my two cents worth, but no matter what the source, getting sober is probably a good idea. And Alcoholics Anonymous is an excellent place to do that.

Richard
|

replied October 9th, 2009
Hallucinations from alcohol consumption or withdrawal don't occur in a large percentage of alcoholics. The majority of alcoholics don't experience this. At least that is what I have heard.

The fact that you are having hallucinations from alcohol use or withdrawal strongly suggests that you are alcoholic. Hallucinations typically only occur when the disease is relatively advanced.

If you are at this point you need to get help ASAP. Make a phone call to your local AA group.

One last thing, the fact that you had high tolerance to alcohol when you were young only signified that you were much more likely to suffer from alcohol dependence later in life.

I am not a medical doctor but I think you need to get help quickly. Just my opinion.
|

replied October 9th, 2009
I wanted to say a couple more things. Go to your doctor, maybe even a psychiatrist. Let them know what is going on with you. Get into a local AA group, be honest with yourself, be open minded, and work the AA program.

If you are having hallucinations it may not be long until you are having full blown seizures.
|

replied January 24th, 2010
I just see shadow like things and I am not thinking clearly which is scaring me.
|

replied June 26th, 2010
I know your pain
I had the same problem i drank everyday for 2 years then my mom died of kidney failure from being an alcoholic her whole life and i decided to try and get sober OH MY GOD it was awful I tried to do it cold turkey and I had horrific nightmares I almost could never sleep I had seizures I was throwing up all the time and when I was awake I felt like i was still messed up. Shadows would kind of move around and I just couldn't think straight I felt really scared like I was going to be stuck like that forever. What's happening is this condition called akisthisia and it's caused by withdrawal from opiates, alcohol and benzodiazepines you constantly feel the sensation that something is terribly wrong with your body or mind it's basically paranoia at an off the charts level. Also the withdrawal symptoms for alcohol can be rage, mood swings, sleeplessness, nausea, nightmares, inability to focus and pain. Finally i went to a doctor and he put me on small doses of Valium and it literally made all the messed up stuff going on in my brain go away it was amazing now i have been sober for 3 years and i don't take any kind of medication or anything. I just want to let you know that eventually all things pass with time and the hallucinations and intense paranoia you feel now will eventually go away. Also just let me tell you from experience man alcohol never makes sadness go away it only puts it off until later and make it worse when it finally gets you. PEACE OUT MAN x_X
|

replied November 1st, 2010
Alcohol Withdrawal
Hi All.

I just wanted to write a few things regarding serious alcohol withdrawal symptoms and what to do if anyone out there is experiencing them.
So what does it mean to be alcohol dependant?
Someone who is alcohol dependant needs alcohol to relieve alcohol withdrawal sypmtoms usually in the morning. Alcohol withdrawal will start to have it,s effects on the body when the alcohol has left the system. 1 unit per hour. so if you have drank 30 units the night before from the time you had your last drink it will take around 25 hours for alcohol withdrawal to start and at 30 hours it will be very unpleasent. Do not stop drinking if you have bad shakes, this will not just be in the hands but will be felt through the whole body. buy more alcohol, arrange to see a doctor ASAP, and try to reduce your alcohol intake. like this.
40 units intake per day.
day 1.... 40 units.
day 2.... 36 units.
day 3.... 32 units.
day 4.... 28 units.
day 5.... 24 units.
day 6.... 18 units.
day 7.... 14 units.
day 8.... 10 units.
day 9.... 6 units.
day 10... Stop.
If your withdrawals are serious, and you are experiencing Hallucinations (people or creatures that aren,t there) hearing voices (like when someone talking to you) not in your head. You may find that your hallucinations will talk to you. (able to have a conversation with an hallucination) This stuff is very very serious. Even if you are having early signs of this you must go to A & E at a hospital or ring 999 and call yourself an ambulance. You cannot try to reduce your alcohol intake when withdrawal has reached this stage, it is to dangerous.
You will be treated in hospital with cloridediazepoxide, given thiamine and vitamin B tablets daily, and a drip will be put in your arm, and a glucose sugar solution will be administered from the drip 5-10 times over a period of usually 5 days.
Acute alcohol withdrawal is very very unpleasant. Your symptoms will get worse for the first 3 days. The chloridediazepoxide is used at regular intervals throughout the day. This drug is quite literally a life saver. If things are getting too much for you, shakes, sweets, hallucinations, then ask for more chloridediazepoxide, Your hallucinations maybe terrifying but they cannot hurt you.
The whole process will usually take 5 days.
Do not rely on this experience to stop you drinking altogether, over time you will forget just how bad it really was.
I wish you all the best.

From a recovering alcoholic.
|

replied July 9th, 2012
i have been there an done this twice,,ive been drinking beer now an tapering of it with a couple of beers an a valium,i cannot beleve how good it works ,,, its hard for me to talk about my hallucination experis
|

replied November 1st, 2010
Alcohol Withdrawal
Hi All.

I just wanted to write a few things regarding serious alcohol withdrawal symptoms and what to do if anyone out there is experiencing them.
So what does it mean to be alcohol dependant?
Someone who is alcohol dependant needs alcohol to relieve alcohol withdrawal sypmtoms usually in the morning. Alcohol withdrawal will start to have it,s effects on the body when the alcohol has left the system. 1 unit per hour. so if you have drank 30 units the night before from the time you had your last drink it will take around 25 hours for alcohol withdrawal to start and at 30 hours it will be very unpleasent. Do not stop drinking if you have bad shakes, this will not just be in the hands but will be felt through the whole body. buy more alcohol, arrange to see a doctor ASAP, and try to reduce your alcohol intake. like this.
40 units intake per day.
day 1.... 40 units.
day 2.... 36 units.
day 3.... 32 units.
day 4.... 28 units.
day 5.... 24 units.
day 6.... 18 units.
day 7.... 14 units.
day 8.... 10 units.
day 9.... 6 units.
day 10... Stop.
If your withdrawals are serious, and you are experiencing Hallucinations (people or creatures that aren,t there) hearing voices (like when someone talking to you) not in your head. You may find that your hallucinations will talk to you. (able to have a conversation with an hallucination) This stuff is very very serious. Even if you are having early signs of this you must go to A & E at a hospital or ring 999 and call yourself an ambulance. You cannot try to reduce your alcohol intake when withdrawal has reached this stage, it is to dangerous.
You will be treated in hospital with cloridediazepoxide, given thiamine and vitamin B tablets daily, and a drip will be put in your arm, and a glucose sugar solution will be administered from the drip 5-10 times over a period of usually 5 days.
Acute alcohol withdrawal is very very unpleasant. Your symptoms will get worse for the first 3 days. The chloridediazepoxide is used at regular intervals throughout the day. This drug is quite literally a life saver. If things are getting too much for you, shakes, sweets, hallucinations, then ask for more chloridediazepoxide, Your hallucinations maybe terrifying but they cannot hurt you.
The whole process will usually take 5 days.
Do not rely on this experience to stop you drinking altogether, over time you will forget just how bad it really was.
I wish you all the best.

From a recovering alcoholic.
|

replied August 22nd, 2011
Thank you
Thank you all for informing the world about alcoholism, and especially withdrawal. I am just discovering that my father is one. Today, he was yelling for no reason and I didn't know why and he also said some weird things. I feel like if I say he needs to get help he's going to yell at me or even hit me. I dont know...
|

replied February 14th, 2012
Hallucinations
Thanks guys for all information. This really helps me, I got hallucination these few days, fell terrible and I feel like something is wrong with me.

I wish all the best!

Reno
|

replied February 15th, 2012
I've had some only once when I drank an incredible amount of 4 litters of beer, 2 litters of brandy and a litter of vodka, however I only had them when I laid down and closed my eyes, as in some monsters or whatever tried to get me, I could see their "siluets", but no clear image. Not even sure if you can call that hallucination, however I wasn't asleep.
|

replied August 2nd, 2012
My dad is having a different experience. He fell a little over a month ago, and was a heavy heavy drinker. He was on a ventilator for almost a month, broke 6 ribs along with much more. He is now awake and talking and saying off the wall things, and hallucinating...He was given stuff to help with the withdrawls and is still acting this way, It is really hard to watch him like this. I hope it ends soon.
|