Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

My Ribs Made a popping Sound ...

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
Hello,

Im not sure if this is the right forum to post in but I felt it was the closest so here I go...

Yesterday I was wrestling with a friend of mine, I was on my back and he threw my legs to the side, while he did this I heard a *POP* coming from my rib cage area. After I let out a "ouch" he got off me and I laid there preparing myself for the pain to come, since that I was sure I had broken it. After laying there for a couple of minutes I felt nothing, so I slowly stood up and started moving around and to my surprise I had no pain at all.

A day later, today, there are slight acute pains, they are not really excruciating but there is somewhat of a pain there that wasn't there before.

Now normally I wouldnt be too concerned about a little pain, what is bothering however that there is a pain where I heard a pop and im not sure what to make of that pop...

Im pretty sure my ribs aren't broken because I've heard that when peoples ribs are broken they have a hard time moving/breathing.

The only time it kinda of hurts is when i sneeze, but again the pain is small.

Does anyone have any idea what might have happened to me? Could it be a ligament tear? a fractured or cracked rib? Also, how long do these things usually take to heal?

Thanks for your time, any help would be greatly appreciated!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper jaysonbee
|

User Profile
replied August 18th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
I'd think a broken bone would hurt like heck...and you'd know you broke something. I think perhaps you could have experienced a tendon rubbing across a bone and re-aligning itself. If you're still not experiencing symptoms...just remember the incident for later. If you do have pain, you might want to consult your GP and maybe ask for an MRI.

Let me know what you decide.
|

User Profile
replied September 20th, 2011
popping ribs
when this happens to me it feels like the bone is sliding out of place then slowly moving back in. im going for an X-ray today ill let you know what they say.
|

replied February 10th, 2011
My ribs to the same exact thing. Except when mine pop, I have to pop them back in place.
|

replied June 27th, 2012
Same thing happened to me, I was doing some strenuous stretching, and leaning on my ribs when I heard a pop. I didn't feel any pain, and now it's a couple days later and that spot is sore, and I can feel it when my lungs expand with a deep breath
|

replied February 7th, 2014
I have bruised ribs from 3 weeks ago sparring in Karate, I fell on my left side and injured mu lower left ribs, right at the base of my ribs. I sparred after 3 weeks, and this morning I moved wrong and felt a small popping. Now it hurts in one spot after it started to finallybheal and feel better
Is that anything to be concerned about? I heard it could be muscle rubbing against inflamed bone, and a couple other reasons.
Frustrating, because I want to up my training as I have a tournament in May...
any answer will be helpful
|