Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Did I chip or break my shin bone?

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
User Profile
About 1 month ago i ran into a trailer hitch on the back of a truck and developed a golf ball sized lump on my shin, it discolored and hurt very badly. Now there is still a small bump there and it hurts badly when i touch it and it kind of feels like there is a small piece of bone missing. Is there any chance that i chipped my shin bone? What would a doctor do for this anyway. My girlfriend is very concerned because iam a heavy set guy and since iam always on my feet and working, and running around is there any chance i may make it worse?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 12th, 2007
Orthopedics Hip, Knee, and Shoulder Injuries Answer A3261
Only an X-ray image of the lower leg will indicate if there is something broken on the shin, or not. Further therapy will depend upon the diagnosis. If there is nothing broken you can rest and can request a prescription for non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs. If there is something broken you'll want to consult an orthopedist.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Orthopedics , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.