Medical Questions > Mental Health > Stop Smoking Forum

Dipping Skoal / sores

User Profile
Last night I probably dipped for like an hour/hour and halfish straight. I used to pinches but then i noticed these weird like lines which stuck out a tiny bit in my cheek and on the inside of my lip. I'm hoping their just like sores and not cancer or whatever. I took a break for two months and just started up again. Is this normal because I never have gotten them before nor have I kept a lip in that long?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper jeffthemarine
|

User Profile
replied May 31st, 2008
Community Volunteer
Yes its normal. It is not a sign of cancer, its just irritation from the dip itself.
|

replied May 31st, 2008
To KNB89
tobacco products have a rather dehydrating effect and when placed against the mucosal surfaces inside your mouth, they draw moisture away from the surfaces resulting in a wrinkled appearance of sorts. In time, the tissues return to normal in the absence of further use.

Cancerous changes in cells associated with chewing tobacco products usually begins with Leukoplakia, a blanched or whitish lesion that typically has raised borders and doesn't go away.

These lesions are precancerous and excision is usually recommended.

Best regards,

J Cottle, MD
|

User Profile
replied June 1st, 2008
lol thx for the responses Smile bout a year late lol
|

replied December 9th, 2008
Is this true?
Ive been off and on since I was 16, im now 21. I heard that the cuts and the burn when i put a dip in is fiberglass in the dip. I heard that its in the to get the nicotine in your system. Is that true????
|

replied November 9th, 2009
dipisgoodstuff
No, there is no fiberglass in dipping tobacco. That rumor came from people seeing the salt crystals in the dip. A can has about 2300mg of salt so it's quite visible.

I've been dipping for two years, know all the risks, but love it too much to quit. The irritated skin is from the high acidity in dip and the actual tobacco is what damages the skin. Combined with the high levels of acid it feels like your lip is being cut but thats just anti-tobacco propaganda.

I suggest using pouches more often and put the occasional cut dip it, that'll really reduce damage to your lip but you'll still get the wrinkles from the salt drawing water from the skin.
|
Quick Reply