Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Plz Help - Depression From Seasonique?

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
I am reaching out to anyone out there who has any knowledge about why this is happening to me...i have been on seasonique for a little more than a month and i have had problems in the past with certain birth control pills causing me mood swings. But about two weeks ago i started feeling tired all the time and really irritable...then i started the yellow pills at the end of the pack on friday and since monday (it is now wednesday) i have been in some kind of crippling depression i am crying all the time i am sad and panicky i have a history of depression and anxiety and i want to know is seasonique making it worse?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper postfetalphase
|

replied August 8th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Yes, it could be.

The hormones in BC pills can make depression worsen, especially in women that have a history of depression.

Do you take any antidepressants? That does help most women with this problem.

Using non hormonal birth control could be an option too.
|

replied August 25th, 2007
Experienced User
The hormones in Seasonique are ethinyl estradiol(estrogen, 30 mcg) and levonorgestrel( progestin, 0.15 mg). Levonorgestrel is a potent progestin, which is why it occurs in such a low dose. I'm most familiar with norethindrone and it's kind of the guideline for progestins, so I'll compare it. 0.15 mg of levonorgestrel is equal to 0.795 mg of norethindrone, which is kind of a high dose of progestin. Higher progestin is associated with depression, so you might want to switch to a pill with a lower concentration of progestin (beware that different progestins have different strengths, so a lower dose doesn't mean a lower concentration). Some pills you might want to switch to, with similiar estrogen content, are (keep in mind yours has an equivalent to 0.795 mg of norethindrone):
Femcon Fe (35 mcg estrogen, 0.4 mg norethindrone)
Brevicon (35 mcg estrogen, 0.5 mg norethindrone)
Modicon (same as above)
Ortho-Cyclen (35 mcg estrogen, 0.25 mg norgestimate which equates to .325 norethindrone)

Avoid triphasic pills (pills that have a different amount of hormones in each week) as these can also cause depression.

A lower progestin potency may cause increased risk of breakthrough bleeding, but give it a shot.
|

replied September 4th, 2008
I lost weight with Alesse 28!
I have used alesse 28 for at least 5 years! and i have no problems with it! and further more i haven't gained weight.. I lost weight instead and no pimples either! and some of my friends are taking it just to loose weight as well.. and now I can't find it... can anybody point me to where I can get alesse? I switch to a different brand and i was all of a sudden emotional and I gained weight! (it's Sronyx levonorgestrel) supposedly my doctor said that it's generic of alesse.. I guess that's what most doctors say to their patients when requested with Alesse. I called Wyeth as well and asked them (I didn't want to just buy online as far as drugs are concerned.. kind of scared... But Wyeth said they sold teh product to Akrimax, I went to their site but I guess they have repackaged Alesse.... and not sure if they do have the same ingredients. Does anyone knows where I can get Alesse or can recommend a good BCP from their experience??? Thanks!
|

replied October 1st, 2010
Not a fan
I also have recently started taking seasonique and I too am having a really rough time. I am usually very active and upbeat, but since starting this I go from feelings of rage to hysterical crying. I was against going on birth control as I have never found any that I am happy with and I don't like to take medications that mess with my body like this. I am going to give this one more month to see if it improves and if it doesn't I am going to stop taking it and just suffer through my crazy bad periods. It is better than feeling crazy and still cramping!!!!
|

replied March 28th, 2011
Depression and Seasonique
! have been taking seasonique for about 8 months to regulate my hormone deficiency.My OB said she thinks that was what was causing me pain whenever I had sex with my husband then later had random pain almost all the time. I did have 2 cysts burst which was some what to blame. But My OB said the pill or an IUD would help with the cysts and other pelvic pain. since I've been on the pill the pain has been alot less frequent but depression has been a big problem. I have always been a generally easy going, happy person. Since I've been on the pill I have been screaming at my kids for no good reason, Feeling sad all the time, feeling angry often, feeling exhausted as soon as I wake up in the morning and it sucks! I think I'll take the pain instead of this. The most frustrating part is I have seen 2OB's, a midwife, a regular family practitioner and had dozens of tests and the best they can come up with is put me on some type of birth control. Is it really to much to ask to just be healthy without having to fill my body with crap that works for one problem but creates 10 other problems?
|

replied October 1st, 2010
i would not wait any longer and stop bc now !! i was on generic of seasonique called quasense . past 6 weeks have been a nightmare . depression and anxiety. BAD.
stopped 7 days ago and see no diff yet but my dr said it would be 3-4 weeks most likely. if i had known i would have never taken bc.
|

replied November 11th, 2010
I have a similar problem. I have been on birth control for about 5 years. I was on Seasonale, then switched to a generic version. Now I live overseas so I am on another version with supposedly the same hormones. I, however, have been feeling very stressed and nervous. Especially in the later days, like day 60. Can I take another birth control bill without stopping for 90 days that have different hormones? Is it really safe to take birth control pills for 90 days?
|

replied September 21st, 2012
This is my second month on Seasonique and the last week and the first week of both packs have caused me to be very depressed! Im a very happy, outgoing person and during those weeks I cant stand to be around anyone and Im very edgy, almost suicidal. Im talking to my dr monday about changing. I cant take how it makes me feel.
|

replied September 27th, 2014
I also took seasonique for nearly seven months, so I was on my third pack of it, and during that time I develop th most severe anxiety and depression I had ever experienced. Before I started taking it I had moments like any normal person but I could manage my stress we'll and was pretty happy. About a month after I had a major panic attack, the first one ever an literally thought I was dying. After that the anxiety persisted for about two months and then faded away into a dull occasional type of thing so I figured I had moved past it. However just about two months ago now, I had to take a trip to the DR for severe heart palpitations, I could barely breathe and was completely hysterical, they gave me xanax to calm me down and a prescription for ten more to keep until I went to the doctor. I then had blood tests and a general check up and everything is fine with me physically. Finally, about a week and half ago I put two and two together and realized that the hormones in seasonique were too much for too long for my body to handle. Now I'm currently trying to get my body back to normal. I don't find pleasure in things I used to love, I'm paranoid, unmotivated, have crying fits for no reason, can barely get out of bed, have headaches and muscle tension all the time, feel helpless and alone, and just have this general "empty" feeling. I'm taking xanax pretty regularly now just to get through the day an I'm just waiting for all these hormones as to get out of my system. In the meantime though ive contacted my obgyn and have gotten my pill switched over to a much lower dose of the same hormone that is a monthly instead of a three month one. Of course I'm waiting a month or so before going on it and if this new one doesn't work for me I will try a non hormone pill instead. If my story matches up with what's happening with you I would strongly recommend stopping! Some women are just not meant for pills like seasonique and I would've stopped earlier if I had made this connection! If you do feel like me also, don't feel alone, find a support system because even after you stop it won't be instantly fixed and will be a struggle but even if you need xanax or something or classes or tea or whatever, it'll get better and you gotta work at it! Good luck ladies, take care of yourselves and watch out for any changes that seem odd and tell your doctor right away!
|

replied January 18th, 2016
Summer of 2015 was very rough for me - I was waiting for my work permit approval, I was looking for a better job, etc. The only good thing was my new boyfriend. So I'm August I decided to go on birth control (for the first time in my life).
As most of us, I hoped that all the terrible side effects listed on the back of the package would not happen to me, and I didn't even think about the pill being the cause when I turned into an extremely negative all-the-time-crying and panicking girl. It was horrible. Everything seemed bad, I felt terrible on the inside and on the outside - tired, week, pessimistic and unmotivated. After starting the pill, I started feeling like my bf didn't care for me enough and was interpreting his every step and word in a negative way, not willing to understand that he's busy with work and school, and not appreciating what he was giving me.
In October, I had a major breakdown and was sent home from my internship because I couldn't stop crying. Hysterically crying. That night I broke up with my boyfriend.
A couple days later, it hit me that something is wrong - that it can't be just my head, something physically was wrong. And the only change that could've influenced my body was the pill. I read the side affects on the instructions list and the first one was "Most common: Persistent Sadness - stop taking the pill and consult with your doctor". I stopped taking it. I talked with the Doctor and he said I should've stopp right after starting feeling sad and depressed, but I thought it was all the consequence of a bad summer. I thought it was me - that I was wrong in the head.
I am not at all saying that the pill is bad. It works different for different people, and it definitely didn't work for my body. It's been almost four months now since I stopped, but I am still dealing with the consequence of the pill - one of them is that I miss my boyfriend, I can't help but wondering how my life would be now if I hadn't started the pill.
I'm never taking a BC again. There are many ways to not get pregnant, and my mental health is so much more important than being careless and lazy and not take precautions against unplanned pregnancy.
|