Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Asthma Forum

Breathing Problem ? Constant Fatigue ?

Must Read
Asthma affects more than 22 million Americans. But what happens during a respiratory asthma attack? Learn the basics about asthma now....
Some people are more likely than other to be diagnosed with asthma. Learn if you are at risk of asthma in this section on risk factors and causes of asthma....
How can you identify the signs and symptoms of asthma or respiratory problems? We list the common asthma symptoms here and discuss asthma problems....
okay well im 15 i work 6 days a week 9 hours a day, alot of people say its stress but how should i know. Anyway a few days ago i got extremely tired, couldnt take a full deep breath, and its been continuing i cant sleep, i have no energy , i yawn when i cant take a proper deep breath, I want to know the cause, and when and how it could go away. Its gotten better now that its the 5th day, but im still concerned
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 18th, 2007
Hmm
wow.. i thought i was the only one. i have the same issue and its been happening to me for months. sometimes i cant sleep either because all day and all night its impossible for me to get that deep breath but i yawn too because i feel like it helps alittle. i never have enery and always feel tired. i've never gotten checked yet its something that interfears with my everyday life. someone needs to give you and i some advice on this matter!
|

replied May 2nd, 2008
Hey im just wondering if you guys are still having the breathing problems...Mine have been going on awile and its driving me crazy. Just wanna know if there is hope for me to get better, since the doctors have said everything is fine in my x-rays and lung tests.
|

replied July 27th, 2008
Geez, i thought i was the only one.
i have the same problem, buts its horrible how my parents dont believe me.
i wake up in the middle of the night. i have had this for a year, and its hard to battle with.
if you find any info that'll help LET ME KNOW!
|
Users who thank Miss_Alyssa for this post: sudutgamat 

User Profile
replied August 2nd, 2009
Oh my God finally I'm not the only one lol! I have the same problems too and I've been checked and the doctors say I'm fine and my mom says it's just me being a hypochondriac. I hope that there is some sort of cure for us because this is driving me crazy.
|

User Profile
replied August 5th, 2009
Hey Guys,

Well according to a recent study, stress may be a contributing factor. I think that one of the experts referenced in the article specifically says that stress doesn't cause asthma, but rather exasperates it. This study of the connection between stress and asthma has been the story of the week in the world of asthma.

http://www.webmd.com/asthma/guide/stress-a sthma
|

replied September 27th, 2009
This might help
Ok guys, so I had been having the same issues, I'm a 25 yr. old female Army veteran and had been having the SAME EXACT sypmtoms, thankfully a friend of mine also had these issues, she went to the doctor gave her a breathing treatment and a shot of steroids in her hip and it helped her greatly, they also gave her an inhaler. This practically cured her. She suggested I get an over the counter inhaler from Walgreens. I followed the directions and almost instantly had GREAT RELIEF, it was like my lungs reinflated. I went to the ER and they said nothing was wrong after x-rays and that it was just anxiety. It was anxiety that triggered my breathing problem, then it became a physical issue. So, anyway, my suggestion, I got a Primatene MIST inhaler and it worked very well. Let me know if this helps. Hope so! God Bless.
|

replied September 28th, 2009
dont worry it may be fatigue or simple stress but u must get ur pulmonary functions done and a complete blood picture for anemia and manage it accordingly ,otherwise it may be just somatic.
|

User Profile
replied October 23rd, 2009
Hey All,

What kind of tests are conducted to diagnose asthma? Can anyone help me out?

Thanks for your help.
|

User Profile
replied November 10th, 2009
Hey All,

It is estimated that 22 million+ people in the U.S. suffer from asthma,making it one of the most common and costly of all diseases. One quarter of all emergency room visits are asthma related and asthma is the one of the leading chronic childhood diseases.Controlling inflammation of the airways has become the central focus for managing asthma. Strong clinical evidence suggests
that asthma management and control can be significantly improved by regularly monitoring airway inflammation. However,current methods used to monitor and manage asthma, such as lung function tests, do not measure airway inflammation.

Physicians have relied largely on correlating symptoms and disease severity to assess their patients. Until now, the degree of airway inflammation has not been measurable in a simple and practical way. The eNO Solution Exhaled nitric oxide has been established as a reliable marker of airway inflammation in asthma for over 10 years. It has been the central focus of studies, establishing its link to optimization of medication and prediction of asthma exacerbations. Measurement of eNO in the physician’s office is a much awaited breakthrough in medical technology that provides physicians with a reliable tool to measure airway inflammation as an adjunct to the current diagnostic measures, such as lung function.

Asthma is a chronic disease characterized by inflammation of the airways caused by allergens and other triggers. When airways are inflamed, the inner walls of the airways swell making them irregular. This causes the flow of air to become turbulent. The events that lead to obstruction of airflow and thus to asthma symptoms are complex and usually involve the following events:Bronchoconstriction, where the smooth muscle surrounding the airways tightens in response to a trigger and narrows the airway.

Source:http://www.apieron.com/asthma-infor mation-downloads/Exhaled-Nitric-Oxide-Reso urce-Kit.pdf
|

replied February 21st, 2010
heavy breathing - resulting in yawning- extreme fatigue
Hi-
I have the exact same symptoms. My doc said it is stress.. but I analyse my life and think I have no stress really - so then may be its anxiety - like if I am running late for an appt. Or I have to finish a simple task -say preparing breakfast- in a limited time.
It is called hyper-ventilation. Problem is there is no cure. Slow breathing is one technique- like inhale to a count of 7 and hold for 7 and exhale for 7.
Another way is to breathe in and out in a paper bag (BUT not for more than a minute).

The more you try to breathe (resulting in a yawn) the worse it gets. Even knowing this techniques does not help me because it keeps coming back. If I am distracted then I automatically seem to be alright. But overall I am so FATIGUED because of this.. always carrying my shoulders up (like I am stressed) and resulting in upper back pain ..

This is horrible-- its like you don't have anything- but still you are miserable ---
|

replied March 2nd, 2010
Hey. I'm 21 years old.
I've developed a technique that helps me breathe easier.
So mine's similiar to asmarif's.
Rather than breathing into your lungs, I use the singer's approach. Breathing using the diaphragm. This'll take some time to get used to and is difficult to get a hang of but it has surely helped me out, getting that *extra* breath.

I've noticed when I do my diaphragm breathing that I don't feel weak or fatigued anymore.

Also water...water..water!

Smile
|

replied March 3rd, 2010
Asthma with no wheezing or coughing
At 51, I was diagnosed with asthma after a short illness with fever resulted in a steady decline over 6 months. I am/was very athletic, ski, surf, run, weights, play hard.)My primary MD couldn't figure out what i had. Finally I landed in ER with pleurisy and couldn't walk a block and I fought my HMO to get to pulmonary. I failed the metholchloride test on level 1 at the time but I never once wheezed or coughed. It took 8 months to recover and be able to exercise again. But after less than a year, I keep getting colds that last a long time, am fatigued, I can do moderate exercise but afterward I am so tired I feel sick. I use Advair daily and xyponex ($$$) when I feel tired and before I exercise. My MDs don't know what to do because my spirometer tests are 500 consistently, my O2 levels are good and I don't wheeze or cough. but I am not well. The only thing they can offer is prednezone- i took that once for pneumonia and hated the side effects. Will the steriods help? Thanks for all the comments...
|

replied June 6th, 2010
I feel like I can't even have family leisure time without feeling short of breath. I've had asthma for about 15 years and it is HOORRRIIBLE! I hate buying inhalers and the Pro-Air ones that I use only last for about a month! But I find that my allergies make my asthma worse. I started using Zyrtec instead of Claritin-D. The decongestant can speed up your heart rate, so that was making my asthma worse. If you have allergies too, try an allergy medicine that doesn't have decongestants.. it might help!
|

replied March 13th, 2012
Asthmatic Symptoms - No wheezing, needing to yawn
I've been reading a lot of forums regarding asthmatic symptoms (without the wheezing) and I've been wrestling with the same chronic problem close to 2 decades. I appear to take in nice, full breaths but I still feel like my lungs are not getting oxygenated. So I feel my chest tighten, and my diaphragm gets fatigued from being overworked. But once in a while a deep breath hits the right spot, clears up what feels like a swollen part of my airway / lungs, I feel great - I'd even hold my breath at that moment so the good feeling lasts longer. But after a good 30 seconds to a minute the shortness of breath comes back. I find myself purposely yawning constantly to try to get the tension out during the exhale. Trying to gasp for air throughout the day just tires out my chest and neck muscles, causing my shoulder and head ache. Also, it doesn't help that I sit in front of a computer all day at work.

I get the shortness of breath even though I frequently exercise throughout the week, so I think it's something in my diet or the environment that's triggering the reaction. Allergens that produce mucus, and also inflammation of the airways could be one culprit. And it makes sense to drink lots of water to reduce the thickness of the mucus. There are a lot of asthmatics who go on gluten-free diets and become asthma free ... I want to give that a try! If I get a good night's sleep, I do feel an improvement the following day.

Like a lot of people who spoke out in the forum, I don't feel the symptoms if I'm distracted. I'm trying to stay away from needing to buy inhalers; it feels moreso like a cover-up and it's really expensive.
|

replied April 2nd, 2012
Experienced User
Asthma and Sugar.
In his book Migraine, Oliver Sacks describes a patient that he treated for migraine who instead started having asthma attacks so severe that she begged for her migraines back. This helps conform my suspicion that it is Reactive Hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar in response to highy blood sugar) caused by eating refined sugar that is the culprit. I've proven that with migraine. I believe that asthma is due to having a weak adrenergic (adrenalin and noradrenalin) response. If there was a strong adrenergic response the result would be epileptic fits instead. Adrenalin is also an antihistamine. Without going into too much detail the attack is to reduce oxygen to the muscles so that they can operate anaerobically in order to make lactic acid needed by the liver to make glucose from, especially for the brain which is starving for glucose. Hence hyperventilating making the attack worse. I'm preparing a paper on this. Meanwhile check my post in Migraine Forum, all the details on sugar.
|

replied September 11th, 2013
Dayummmm! I been feeling Exactly the same for 4 months already. I was gonna catch a cold,but the next day i was fined but i have the symptons i have know. Tight Chest, my nose gets congested And my breathing is just awful. I see these post are from 09 Wanted to see if anybody has been able to overcome this!
|
Quick Reply