Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acid Reflux Forum

Lpr/acid Reflux diagnosis

Must Read
Flu basics - what is the flu? Get started here to learn how to protect yourself....
Who is at risk of developing flu related complications? Can people die from the flu? More on risk factors here....
We answer your questions on flu symptoms here. How are cold and flu symptoms different? When should you seek medical help for flu? Plus more....
I'm 19 years old and was recently diagnosed with LPR...I have a few questions regarding LPR and would be very grateful if anyone could answer them...

1. my main symptom is feeling as if food is getting caught in my throat...will this sensation ever go away? I had a modified Barium swallow and everything is actually going down, but it is uncomfortable. I feel as if food gets caught in the excess amounts of phlegm in my throat, but is that even possible???

2. I have been on twice a day Zegerid 40mg for almost two months, but still feel acid coming up into my throat, mostly at night, several hours after dinner...is this normal for LPR or should I be having total acid suppression?

3. Will I ever be 100% better?

4. Will my symptoms ever alleviate? Will I ever be able to drink a cup of coffee again!? lol

5. I am a singer, does anyone have any experience with LPR and singing?

Thanks you so much
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 23rd, 2010
mine wont resolve no matter what i do. i am yet to find anyone get better. 90 percent of drs. dont know the difference in gerd/lpr
|

replied April 30th, 2010
Experienced User
Hi, A quick trick I was told by a doctor was t put a couple blocks under my bed so that when I am sleeping I am slightly elevated. Just make sure they are sturdy and big enough so the bed does not slip off. Also, make surre that the blocks are the same size in height. It does help.

Another thing that will help is fresh ginger in some herbal tea. (NOT normal tea. It MUST be herbal. No green tea or black tea!!!) Ginger is natural in healing the tummy. For any excess acid we all know about saltines or any good high grain cracker to absorb the acid. (I am guessing that granola would work well too but, as I said I am only guessing on that one.)
(I love my coffee also but, have not had any in over a year. I tried once and hurt from it. I even tried decaf and got no luck there.)
One thing I do know from my Grandpas troubles is that when you take anacids, and then stop taking them the acid starts producing at an extream rate. I think that is why doctors say to let them know if you are stopping them so, they can wein you off them to prevent the major flare up of the acid.
If anyone knows how to get it gone totally, please let me know. Mine is from a hernia. I guess if I had the surgery, I might be lucky and be able to drink coffee again,. I sure do miss my coffee so, I can relate on that part.
Best of luck,
Temperwolf
|

replied April 30th, 2010
lpr/gerd
i might try the tea and ginger, no green or black. man i was drinking hot chocolate when this all started. these drs. really tick me off. I have a patulous les, chronic gastritis, delayed gastric emtying, a hiatal hernia, and irregular ge junction. My 24 hour dual probe shows 2 a day ppi is helping control the gerd, but not lpr therefore by throat continues to sustain damage on top of damage. I will definitely try the tea thing with ginger. the block thing did not work for me. my probe showed 0 reflux at night and a ton during the day. this is lpr. it defies gravity and drs. can transplant organs, but we are left to suffer
|

replied May 22nd, 2010
Hi, I have finally found a method to bring relief to my lpr symptoms and make it so much more manageable. I have checked all these forums before and everything that has been mentioned (ie. antacids, ppi's, elevating bed, aloe vera juice, etc.) never really worked for me. Trust me I know how miserable this disease can be but now I can manage my LPR enough to get through my days without being so miserable.

Before I share my method with you, by no means am I implying that this a cure for LPR. It might not even work for you. However it has worked wonders for me. I still do have my LPR but my method has greatly reduced my symptoms. No, it's not something you eat or drink and no medications are involved. In fact it is 100% free, although this may sound strange to you...

One day I had this stupid idea (I guess out of desperation) to push my tongue back towards my throat using my tongue muscles. I am not talking about trying to touch the back of your throat with the tip of your tongue. Keep your tongue straight (as it sits in your mouth) and use your tongue muscles to push it back towards your throat as opposed to using your tongue muscles to stick your tongue out. I know I know, sounds strange but this has helped me greatly after a couple of days. To me, it appears that doing so strengthens your throat muscles and in turn helps keep the acid down? Not sure but it has helped me a lot and just wanted to share this to those who are at wits end like I use to be.

PS...In addition to this I typically swallow after pushing my tongue back. It took a couple of days for my symptoms to decrease but now I feel much better than before even when I was on meds which I now no longer take.
|

replied June 6th, 2010
I am 29 years old and just had a baby. I normally am only 120 pounds but gained 50 with my pregnancy. Not only did I get the sweetest baby on earth, but I got LPR reflux in my last trimester. I am on Nexium twice a day and Zantace at night. I feel like my acid has gotten worse and it has been 2 months since my diagnosis and 6 months since the start of everything. I feel like I reflux all the time no matter what I do. This is so life changing and it makes me so sad. I will try the tongue exercises. My pressure was only 20 when they did my manometry reading. What were any of your readings?
|