Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Appendix and Appendicitis Forum

My Appendectomy And Staples Left Behind

Must Read
How do you know if abdominal pain is caused by appendicitis or not? First know where to locate the appendix in your body. Learn more here....
Classic symptoms of appendicitis include pain in the center of the abdomen that moves down and to the right. Learn more about signs and symptoms of appendix pr...
Understand how to diagnose appendicitis and abdominal pain correctly. Appendicitis may be the cause of your discomfort but symptoms vary. Learn more now. ...
I had an appendix removed in February. It was diagnosed within 4-5 hours of my arrival to the ER by the ER doctor. The surgeon didn't get to me for 28 hours... while periotinits set in. He did a long vertical incision. It was a prolonged recovery. I have felt a sharp edge for months near my belly button and told the DR within 3 weeks about it. He dismissed my pain and said that there was nothing there. I finally went to a new Dr and she requested an x-ray. There are at least 4-5 staples? in three different areas across my abdomen as low where the ball joint of my left leg rests in the hip and two other places higher up on the right side. The protruding one seems to be moving closer to the surface and causes pain wearing snugger slacks. I am a 115lb, 50 year old very healthy female... that used to be able to run 3-5 miles a day. I have never felt right since this surgery. What will be involved to have these staples removed? Is it common to use staples in this manner? Thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper ladyhawksperch
|

replied January 7th, 2009
Staples left in after appendectomy
I just discovered 4 years after my surgery that I have 2 staples that were left inside. Is this common? Should they be removed?
|

replied January 7th, 2010
Staples
I sure hope you get an answer to your question because I'm in the same boat. I didn't realize they were still in there until I had back trouble and I needed an x-ray. Kinda freaked me out. It's been 10 years for me.
|

replied August 19th, 2010
i am 24 yrs old female and had a tumor the size of a softball caused by birthcontrol in my liver. i had a the entire left lobe of the liver and my galbladder removed as well. i was supposed to only have 1 surgery and be back to work after 2 weeks. its been almost 2 months and as in the hospital over 2 weeks. i have an odd shaped scar from the complications from the surgery one incision all across my stomach around my ribs and down however on the bottom lower right of my stomach i feel something sticking out... after my staples were removed. i can see a color to it because part of it is so close to the skin. i called my dr and the nurse said things like that don't happen. i've felt it as well. i had NO INTERNAL STITCHES.. i asked my surgeon personally but now felt today like it was ripping my inside open where the small part is sticking out of my stomach. i'm sorry i have no answers but it is nice to hear that i'm not alone in this. i'm worried it may move and cause more permenant damage, so after i was in the worse pain ever, even after my liver resection from this, i told my brother if the pain comes back then i'm going to the er tonight. if anyone has any answers about this or any malpractice advice would you please let me know. they basically told me it isn't possible and didn't even set up an appointment to see what i was asking about. thank you
|

replied August 2nd, 2011
Appendectomy Procedure
My husband has an appendectomy a year ago this September and we took him to er last night because he was having alot of pain n vomiting where it hurt right before they did surgery.After blood work,urine sample they decide to do ct scan and needed to do an IV.After 5 sticks and 4 blown veins I told them either do it without dye or you're not doing ct scan at all.Then when results came back we overheard cna and nurse talking about the results and it showed that my husband still has staples inside his body from when they done his surgery.The doctor didn't even say anything about it to us and said he didn't see anything wrong but yet gave him a prescription for pain pills.???Anyway,I am just wondering if it normal to have staples after all this time and if it could possibly be what is causing him pain and vomiting?Any advice would be appreciated,thank you!
|

replied May 8th, 2013
STAPLE LEFT AFTER SURGERY
Hello, I hope there is an answer to what can be done about them leaving staples behind after surgery. My appendix ruptured over 20yrs ago. 4 months ago a staple surfaced right on the right side of my belly button. It itch so bad I scratched at it and now it is sticking out.I have had so many female problems since then and wonder if that might have been the cause of all the pain. I just survived breast cancer almost 3 yrs ago and need an anser. Please can anyone tell me what can be done?
|