Medical Questions > Nutrition > Vitamins Forum

Neon Yellow Urine Means Good Or Bad B Complex Absortion? (Page 1)

Hi!
Everyone I ve been talking to agreed that the neon yellow urine is due to vitamin b intake (b2 I think) now what I need to clarify is if that indicates bad or good absortion of the vitamin. Some say is good cause b is water solluble other say is bad absortion and its waisted. Please help
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper donkeypunch
|

replied March 29th, 2004
Not Absorbed
I am not a doctor, but I would say it is not being absorbed.

I take liquid vitamins, and I have taken pill vitamins in the past. I know that in the past I had bright yellow urine. When I take the liquids, I have more afternoon energy and I don't have bright urine. My unprofessional opinion is because it is all being absorbed and used.

|

User Profile
replied July 16th, 2011
yellow urine
Actually, your urine is yellow because your body only absorbs what it needs and the rest is excreted. If your body didnt excrete the excess then you would have an overdose of vitamin B. It is a good sign that your urine is yellow. It means your body is working properly in conjunction with the vitamin B. Your body isnt going to absorb what it doesnt need.
|

replied August 26th, 2011
where do you find liquid vitamin b complexe that isnt made for kids?
|

replied April 3rd, 2012
GNC has a great one. I don't buy a lot from GNC as they are usually over priced but this one is great
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied September 18th, 2011
Your urine turning hyper yellow should never be the case, it's unnatural. I used to think it was a positive reaction until I got schooled by a holistic nutritionist.
|

replied February 8th, 2012
Vitamin b bright yellow urine
This is wrong. It should be bright yellow due to niacin. I doubt the person tell u that pass his/ her courses. I am a registered holistic nutrition and this is Nutrition 101 in the fundamental course. Bright yellow means it got assimilated properly thru your digestion system and get into blood stream and excess passed thru kidney.
|
Users who thank dchan7 for this post: jazzered 

replied March 6th, 2012
Correction:
Wow, I'd say you're not a 'Registered Holistic Nutrition*ist' because if you had even ANY knowledge of Vitamin B3, you would know that it is the exact same substance as Niacin. Nice job with the false credentials though, it really gave you the credibility... Maybe you should take "Nutrition 101" again.
|

replied March 28th, 2012
If you have not taken the course, do not accuse me. Even if you go to Wikipedia, you can easily found out that it is not the same substance.(b2 vs. b3) B2 is synthetic Ribiflavin which cause your urine to appear like bright yellow. While Niacin(B3) tend to be a little bit red but that doesn't show in your urine normally unless you take a great amount for another use *niacin flush)! I AM NOT GOING TO ARGUE IN THIS POST BUT JUST LIKE TO HELP AND EVERYTHING I SAID IS NOT MY PERSONAL OPTION BUT HAVE EVIDENCE AND CAN DIRECT YOU TO THAT PIECE OF ARTICLE FOR EVIDENCE...Please search for B2 - riboflavin and B3-Niacin from wikipedia to find out more details... Smile
|
Users who thank dchan7 for this post: Writetopixie 

replied March 28th, 2012
By the way, the correction from my previous post should be B2 is Riboflavin which causes your urine to appear yellow not niacin. This is a good sign cause it means it is properly absorbed into your blood stream and the excess excreted thru Kidney. If no color change in your urine doesn't mean all bad either..but there are two possibilities..you have been deficient all along and your body take up much of the B2, or it didn't get absorbed properly into blood stream(in that case you probably have bad digestion/absorption in general).
|

replied October 15th, 2012
Idiot
Did you quickly just get that off Wikipedia? By the way... That's site is not credited. Anyone can go and edit whatever they want. I just added that vitamin B3, when taken in excess can make you morph into a unicorn. It must be true... It's on Wikipedia.
|

replied October 17th, 2012
Vitamins
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) is a water-soluble vitamin. It is a "coenzyme in energy metabolism. Aids in the conversion of tryptophan into niacin," (pp. 98 in Nutrition Essentials for Nursing Practice 6th Edition by Susan G. Dudek.) Vitamin B3 (Niacin) is also a water-soluble vitamin. It is a "coenzyme in energy metabolism. Promotes normal nervous system functioning, (pp. 98 in Nutrition Essentials for Nursing Practice 6th Edition by Susan G. Dudek.)
|

replied January 5th, 2013
RE: IDIOT
You just stated yourself "Anyone can go and edit whatever they want" yet you are still referring to Wikipedia. How can your answer be 100% correct as you well know yourself that Wikipedia can be edited even with an idiot. As far as I am concerned and learning this in PD/H/PE: clear urine means you're drinking too much water which dilute the urine's colour. The urine supposed to be slightly yellow which means your body is not recieving too much or less nutrients. Darker coloured urine are all the waste/ left over substances that the body does not need. This occurs in anyone who takes vitamin supplements or strong medication, or have kidney condition/s, the body can only take so much nutrients that any excess needs to be removed.

Try it yourself, in 3 days: Day 1- Eat normally BUT drink alot more water than you normally do, Day 2- Eat/drink normally BUT do not take any vitamin supplements (including energy drinks) or medication, And finally Day 3- Eat/drink normally BUT Take vitamin supplements/energy drinks such as berroca, fish oil etc. And notice the difference yourself. For Day 1 Urine should be clear due to dilution of the urine, Day 2 should be slightly yellow and Day 3 should be dark yellow. PS: THE FOOD AND DRINK YOU HAVE SHOULD BE EXACTLY THE SAME FOR THE 3 DAYS THAT WAY YOU KNOW IT HAS GOT NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FOOD AS WE ARE HYPOTHESTISING THAT THESE EXCESS VITAMINS/NUTRIENTS/MEDICATION ARE THE CAUSE FOR DARKER URINE. AIM TO EAT HEALTHY IF YOUR DIET IS NOT ALREADY GOOD OR STICK TO THE USUAL DIET WHERE YOUR URINE IS SLIGHLTY YELLOW (NORMAL COLOUR) AND KEEP IT CONSTANT IN THE 3 DAYS TO MAKE THIS RESULT VALID

The reason being, the food that we eat (especially fruits, veg and meat) basically have the correct amount of nutrients that the body needs. Supplements are made for those who lack those intake of nutrients being unable to eat much or the ill or being a vegetarian as they lack the nutrient from red meat. When you are eating normally and the right type of food (not necessarily to be a health freak but at least have something healthy during te week) you are just wasting your money on these supplements/drinks as they will just go out in your urine.

The end hope that makes sense and BTW don't bother criticing if you have NOT even try the 3 day test yourself properly.
|

replied January 10th, 2013
Not true. It's a myth that vitamins are unnecessary. Americans eat poorly and the majority have deficiencies. I've heard from quite a few doctors that (unless you're taking bottles a day) vitamins do nothing but help and that's it's very difficult to 'overdose' on them.

Oh and, for the love of god, buy a dictionary. "Criticing" is not even a word!
|

replied January 11th, 2013
Ummmm did you read it properly? I did mention that they ARE NOT NEEDED unless you have certain condition that requires supplement. AND taking supplement and noticing the urine turning darker colour means you're just wasting your money on them. (referring to the second last paragragph) WOW i think you really need glasses.

OH AND ITS JUST A WORD I MADE MISTAKE ON, ITS CRITICISING.... HAPPY NOW?
|

replied January 14th, 2013
Spelling 101
It's actually "criticizing" so I'm not happy now. No. But I am now that I've corrected the horrible grammar and spelling errors on this page.
|

replied January 14th, 2013
what
Well Australian spelling is with s not with z. Mainly American use z in their "criticising" and other words. There are no right or wrong. Why don't you check it first. This is beside the whole point anyways. Any thing else you would like to pick on?
|

replied May 16th, 2012
Question.?..Is it a good thing or bad thing to have bright yellow urine...I take a iron pill everyday and a B complex everyday...and a liquid vitamin...
|

replied February 23rd, 2012
Bright yellow
Urine that looks nearly neon-colored may seem somewhat alarming, but the cause is most likely nothing more sinister than your daily multivitamin pill. “The B vitamins and carotene in particular give the urine a deeper, more golden color,” says Dr. Deborah J. Lightner, associate professor of urology at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn. And don’t worry: That brightly colored urine means you’re simply pissing away all of your expensive supplements. The urine color can be affected as the vitamins filter through your system—even as they are being absorbed and utilized.-- from MSN health
|

replied February 25th, 2012
I can back the doc up. I just took my first multi vitamin with iron a few hours ago and when I just went to pee it was a neon color yellow and I had no idea why so came on here to research and am relieved that is all it is!
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.

replied March 29th, 2004
Active User, very eHealthy
I just read something today actually about over use of vitamins and how you can tell if you've over used one or two.. And one of the vitamins they described was b2... And said that if you have bright yellow urine you are taking too much of it...
|

replied March 29th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Your body will absorb what it needs. It flushes out excess. That is why your urine changes colors. So, I would lower your intake. Otherwise, do not worry, your body will absorb what it needs.
|

replied March 30th, 2004
Not 100% True
If your body can't break down the pills to absorb it, it will flush it out. And your body might need it.
|

User Profile
replied July 16th, 2011
its water soluable so it will break down.
|

replied March 30th, 2004
Vitamin B2
Hello
i am study vitamins now, and we just went over b2 vitamin. B2 is a water soluble vitamin and will absorb what it needs. The rest will flush out. Hope that helps.
Cin
|

replied March 31st, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Your body will have to "break down" the pill before it will pass through your system, right? So, therefore, your bodywill absorb what it needs and flush out what it doesn't.
This atleast has to be true for discolored urine. If the pill was not broken down, then it would not be in your urine at all...
|

replied October 7th, 2011
is buying b2 a waste if your body is just flushing it out?
If your urine is bright yellow and that means that your body is getting rid of the excess b2 then do you still need to take it? Is it a waste of money to buy the b2 if your body is just getting rid of it?
|

replied April 14th, 2004
hotasfrick wrote:
your body will have to "break down" the pill before it will pass through your system, right? So, therefore, your bodywill absorb what it needs and flush out what it doesn't.

This atleast has to be true for discolored urine. If the pill was not broken down, then it would not be in your urine at all...

boy are you wrong!

There is a huge difference between "broken down" and absorbed. Any vitamin or mineral taken into the body will be broken down by the digestive processes but synthetic vitamins and minerals that are not chelated will not be completly absorbed by the body. The parts that are not absorbed will be passed in the urine and or stool. This is why it is far better to take/use an all natural supplement rather than most of the off the shelf cheap worthless supplements that most people waste their hard earned money on.
|

replied April 14th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Kazeyama,

i can only assume that you have a degree in chemistry for you to be so sure that what you say is so much more correct than what others say!!

I have taken top of the range supplements & had them both absorb & not absorb, i've taken purely natural sources of vitamins which I am low in (eg iron) & had the "food" flush out the other end.

In other words like everything we are all different, we have different systems & our systems react differently to things (even at different times of our life etc).

In other words since you seem so pedantic, I have taken tablets which have not broken down at all, in other words they have come out whole the other end, same with foods. I have also taken tablets/foods that have been partly absorbed (blood tests showed this) but which my body has still ejected part of without adsorbing them.

Chelated, non-chelated & all-natural this still applies. You need to find what works for your body not what some pseudo-chemist preaches.
|

replied October 25th, 2012
elimination of B2
I dont keep an exact take this much or that little. We all have different ways that our body handles certain things. What may work for you ergo may not work for another. Usually most of my patients have a feel for what works and what doesnt its their body
|

replied April 14th, 2004
purple333 wrote:
kazeyama,

i can only assume that you have a degree in chemistry for you to be so sure that what you say is so much more correct than what others say!!

I have taken top of the range supplements & had them both absorb & not absorb, i've taken purely natural sources of vitamins which I am low in (eg iron) & had the "food" flush out the other end.

In other words like everything we are all different, we have different systems & our systems react differently to things (even at different times of our life etc).

In other words since you seem so pedantic, I have taken tablets which have not broken down at all, in other words they have come out whole the other end, same with foods. I have also taken tablets/foods that have been partly absorbed (blood tests showed this) but which my body has still ejected part of without adsorbing them.

Chelated, non-chelated & all-natural this still applies. You need to find what works for your body not what some pseudo-chemist preaches.

not a "pseudo-chemist" but just well studied. Also I have an iq of 164 which is in the top 2% of the world.
|

replied March 24th, 2011
People have studied you well? That's nice. What does it have to do with your I.Q.? King Tut is well studied, and likely, his I.Q. barely rated that of today's elementary students.
Also, if you were speaking on or experimenting with chemicals without the proper training or qualifications, you would be a "pseudo-chemist". Pseudo is simply the prefix demonstrating something or someone being used as a substitute. It's often misused to mean "false" or "fake" which can seem like an insult.
Of course, that's what these internet forums are for; insulting rather than informing.... Have fun, you two!
|

replied October 27th, 2011
Vitamins from a food source compared to Sythetics.
Non-Chemist high school drop out here.

Your use of the word "chelated" means you can't explain the concept simply and therefore don't understand it. You are not wrong however.

Our bodies have evolved to use the mineral compounds which are naturally occurring, when found in nature they can be categorized in a distribution similar to a bell curve. The enzymes in our small intestine only take a certain shaped molecule, and because synthetically all molecules are made similarly, they're dimensions are very similar. Natural compounds or those that are found in food have molecules which can be placed into a similar distribution than those of the enzymes of our body.

An interesting journal article I found explains this all very well: "Electrochemical Study of the Antioxidant Activity and the Synergic Effect of Selenium with Natural and Synthetic Antioxidants.", Analytical Letters; Sep2010, Vol. 43 Issue 13, p2078-2090, 13p, 4 Charts, 6 Graphs.

A lot of the journal articles I found on Natural Vitamins had a lot have significant commercial interest funding them. One was conducted by "The Free Radical Research Group", a very small percentage on EBSCOhost had been conducted by Universities and those that had were not typically reputable universities.

From what I've read here is what it comes down to if you eat at least a modestly balanced diet your body will be able to absorb compounds which are missing from the synthetic vitamins, eliminating any difference in the vitamins except of course the price. If you eat Taco Bell all day natural vitamins may be the way to go!
|

replied April 27th, 2012
Bravo, Andy.................Now that sounds like a smart man!!!!
|

replied April 14th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
I take it there isn't spelling in an iq test. Ha ha. Anyway, I do not claim to be a vitamin expert which is why there was a question mark after my above statement. But, anyway, my doctor told me not to waste my money on expensive vitamins and that for me (young and healthy) a "one a day" type of vitamin is fine. And I choose to listen to my doctor as she is the one with the degree. But, everyone is different and to each his/her own. I personally would never spend more then $10 on a bottle of vitamins (and there better be a lot of vitamins in there) unless I was terminally ill or something and new that the expensive vitamins would save my life or something.
|

replied September 2nd, 2011
Doctors
FYI... Doctors are only required to take a few courses in nutrition during their entire college career. And just because someone has a degree does not mean I trust them completely. Doctors are awesome to have around for emergency situations. However, many doctors only treat your symptoms and not your body as a whole. Therefore, most of the time, they just cover up the real problem. Everyone is different, and I believe that your body will tell you what you need. But doing your own research can help you decode what you body is trying to tell you. Just one opinion. Smile
|

replied April 14th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Kazayama,

you really are insecure aren't you, to feel the need to post your iq, showing in itself that you know nothing about iq & iq tests, still, I am not in the least interested in your insignificant iq, I have a great one of my own as does my husband & both our kids, our daughter is at university (college to those of you without international knowledge) at 15 & could have been there at 14 or sooner had she chosen.

In any case iq is totally irrelevant to the discussions on ehealth, here it is knowledge, experience & the ability to assist/advice & be open to & accepting of different views & experiences that counts. But then I guess some people only see their own experiences & knowledge as relevant to anything. Your loss but not our gain, at least not in terms of your ability to assist.
|

replied July 12th, 2004
Colored Urine
I really just want to give input to this very popular topic. I am not a doctor either, but I guarantee their opinions would be different, also. I am a supplement user. I would never base my opinion on what color you pee. Show me facts supporting this theory. Many people (usually people selling it), have said that liquid is more absorbable than pills..Then why do doctors still give antibiotics in pill form. It is my opinion that a liquid would be much less absorbable due to the fact that it leaves your system faster than a solid. Most of our nutrients are absorbed through our intestines, I do not know about most people, but whatever I drink, seems to leave my body within a couple hours.

Anyway, since the fda regulates supplements as they do foods, the standards are not very high. Be careful. If the fda regulated supplements as drugs, there would not be very many to choose from. If a drug can be found in the pdr (physician drug reference) its ingredients are facts. Noone regulates whether supplements #s are correct. Check the pdr, ( the real pdr or the compendium ) not the supplement pdr, see the few supplements that are listed in it.
|

replied March 19th, 2012
I can tell you why some antibiotics are pill form and some are still liquid where i am a pharmasist. There are capsules around the medicine that disolve before the actual medicine is released, some capsules (depending on the type of medicine or vitamin) are thicker than others because of how they are absorbed by the body at certain stages of the digestive tract. So some antibiotics are still in liquid form for quicker absobtion and ease of being taken because some people have trouble taking pills due to medical conditions. And i may point out just because a Dr prescribes a medication does not mean it is the best one or the right one, but may get a monthly check for prescribing certain brands. This industry you are all talking about is worth billions. As for the pee being bright yellow the truth of the matter is regardless of how much is actually absorbed if your pee is yellow of any shade you kidneys are working properly!
|

replied June 7th, 2005
Source Below
Urine consists of excess water and waste products that have been filtered from the blood by the kidneys. Its natural yellow color is due to excretion of urochrome, a blood pigment. Depending on the amount of fluids you drink, your urine can range in color from almost clear (diluted) to dark orange (concentrated).

Most changes in urine color are temporary and caused by food colors or medications. However, an abnormal urine color may indicate a serious disease. If you're concerned about the color of your urine, especially if you notice blood in it, consult with your doctor.
Urine color possible medical and dietary causes
clear

* excess liquids
* liver disorders, such as acute viral hepatitis or cirrhosis

bright or neon yellow

* vitamin supplements

dark yellow or gold

* dehydration

pink or red

* blood in the urine, such as due to kidney or bladder infection or cancer
* certain foods, such as beets and berries, and food dyes
* some laxatives

orange

* side effect of certain medications, such as rifampin, doxorubicin (adriamycin, rubex), phenazopyridine (pyridium) and warfarin (coumadin)
* certain foods and food dyes
* dehydration

blue or green

* side effect of certain medications, such as amitriptyline and indomethacin (indocin)
* certain foods, such as asparagus, and food dyes

dark brown or tea colored

* liver disorders, especially if accompanied by pale stools and jaundice
* side effect of certain medications
* blood in the urine
* certain foods and food dyes

cloudy or murky urine

* urinary tract infections
* kidney stones

more questions and answers

© 1998-2005 mayo foundation for medical education and research (mfmer). All rights reserved. A single copy of these materials may be reprinted for noncommercial personal use only. "mayo," "mayo clinic," "mayoclinic.Com," "mayo clinic health information," "reliable information for a healthier life" and the triple-shield mayo logo are trademarks of mayo foundation for medical education and research.
|

replied April 2nd, 2011
Thank you for your input, I found your information to be the most helpful on this site.
|

replied June 9th, 2005
Neon Urine Means Good Or Bad Vitamine B Absorption?
I found this discussion because this happens to me everytime I take a multi-b vitamine, so figure I don't need a b vitamine.

I found this useful info at wholehealthmd.Com that I think might answer some of the debate:

a high-quality vitamin b complex supplement will provide, in one convenient pill, a full range of b vitamins, including biotin, choline, folic acid, inositol, paba (para-aminobenzoic acid), and the six "numbered" b vitamins--vitamin b-1 (thiamin), b-2 (riboflavin), b-3 (niacin), b-5 (pantothenic acid), b-6 (pyridoxine), and b-12 (cobalamin). Combination products can simplify the process of taking individual b vitamins for a range of ailments including alcoholism, depression, diabetes, hair problems, lupus, multiple sclerosis, and stress.

Vitamin b complex products are generally available in two forms: b-50s and b-100s. In a b-50 complex, look for a minimum of the following: 400 mcg folic acid, 50 mcg b-12 and biotin, and at least 50 mg of all the other b vitamins. Generally twice this amount is found in b-100 complexes, except for the folic acid (400 mcg), which remains the same. A b-100 typically contains 100 mcg b-12 and biotin, and 100 mg of all the other b vitamins.

While convenient, combination b vitamin products can produce an unpleasantly strong vitaminlike odor and cause queasiness if taken on an empty stomach. To minimize these side effects and enhance absorption, take this vitamin pill with food. A bright yellow hue to the urine following a b-complex vitamin is a harmless side effect of the riboflavin (b-2).
|

replied April 5th, 2007
Not Just Urnine But Feces Too!
I find that when I take a multivitaman/radical fighter with high doses of vitamen B it not only makes my urine turn neon yellow (which is a bit frightening). However what I also notice is my stool or feces turns a bit lighter in color. The stool does not change consistency but its the color that changes to a lighter shade. Is this a coincidence?
Michael Tarinelli
|
Users who thank donkeypunch for this post: funcity 

User Profile
replied April 16th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Re: Neon Yellow Urine Means Good Or Bad B Complex Absortion?
shaolin95 wrote:
Hi!

Everyone I ve been talking to agreed that the neon yellow urine is due to vitamin b intake (b2 I think) now what I need to clarify is if that indicates bad or good absortion of the vitamin. Some say is good cause b is water solluble other say is bad absortion and its waisted. Please help

I have drank pure beet juice before and my urine was red. DOes that mean my body did not absort it? I don't think so.. I think some things just change the color of your urine when you drink them..
|

replied May 1st, 2007
Dried Rasberry Powder Is High In B
I am taking dry rasberry powder mix daily and it is really helping with my bowl movements and overall cold prevention. My urine is still very yellow (almost orange) Embarassed but it more than makes up for the benefit I get with "flushing me out" intestinewise with great bowl movements and also cold prevention. its hard to get but can be found on the web and also some boutique health food stores.
Just some food for thought
Michael Tarinelli
|

replied May 2nd, 2007
The bright yellow, or neon yellow urine is just due to your body excreting excess B2 or Riboflavin. Too many B2 has no negative side effects, unless you count bright pee to be a negative side effect o_O. Your body just maxed out on all it could absorb, and the extra got flushed away...however this is no reason to decrease your B2 intake. Some doctors argue that the only way to know that your body is taking enough (max) B2 is to see if there's any extra being flushed out.
|

replied May 25th, 2007
If It's Yellow, It's Too Much
If it's yellow, it's too much. Your just wasting it, and it's hard on your kidney's. Even if they are water soluble, they still have side effects, don't let that fool you.
|

replied August 21st, 2012
yellow urine and irritated bladde?
I have been taking vit b complex for about 3 months. I started getting yellow urine for the past few weeks. My guess is that i cannot absorb anymore at the moment. I would like to agree with you in saying that there are side effects. I think now that the vitamin b complex has irritated my bladder. So i have stopped taking it for the last few days and my bladder feels better. So, i do think that whatever is making my urine yellow is irritating my bladder. Just wanted to point that out because i had to spend ages on the net to find out if that was a possiblity. I had only had an idea that it was upsetting my bladder. thank you.
|
Quick Reply