Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Insect Bites Forum

Bites Around Ankles Only ! (Page 1)

Must Read
Insect bites can be difficult to identify. Learn why the body reacts to insect bites, and which types of insects cause which kinds of illnesses here....
Were you bitten by a stinging or biting or bloodsucking insect? We review the most common bites humans get, plus info on who is most at risk of insect bites....
What are some of the signs of a serious insect bite? When do you need help? Learn to identify types of insect bites and know when they are serious....
I have been getting bites around my ankles off and on for about a year now. In the morning when I get up sometimes I will notice a red raised bump on my ankle area that gets extremely itchy. Sometimes I will not notice a bite until later in the day. Sometimes I will have more than one bite in the area. I have 2 indoor cats who have been inspected for fleas and have found nothing. I used to have a bird. I do have a hamster in my bedroom. The reason I dont think these are chigger bites is because I have had them in the winter time also. I had a feather bed under my sheets that I removed and also a down comforter that I removed from my bed. I have taken my bed apart and have never seen a thing. No bed bugs, nothing. These bites only occur at or near my ankle areas. Sometimes I feel like something is crawling on me but I never see anything. Please help! I have no clue whats biting me!! My son lives with me and he has no bites on his ankles.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper evereven
|

replied August 15th, 2007
Ok I had my cats to the vet today and there is no signs of any fleas. I am still not sure what is causing the bites around my ankles and if its from home or I am picking it up from work.
|

User Profile
replied August 21st, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Hey
have you tried to spray your house with raid or something to try to get rid of it? you may be able to narrow it down that way as to where you are getting it.
|

replied October 10th, 2008
I have the exact same thing going, bites always around my ankle and now its gotten to the point where I wake up thinking something is crawling on me. I might go see a doctor about it. Its probably lasted 2 months now.
|

replied February 11th, 2009
I've moved to my new house for 6-7 months, and I noticed that I've been getting bites around my ankles, but I'm the only one in the house (I live with my grandmother and my brother) who gets them. I've bug bombed my house before moving in, we have no pets, and I vacuum regularly, so I don't know what could possibly be getting me.
The only bugs that I see regularly around my house are spiders and crickets, and I would notice if they ever got on me...

Does anyone have a possible explanation?
|

replied June 4th, 2009
Mosquitos. I have the bites mainly on my ankles, but on some other areas too. My wife and next door neighbour have them too.

Maybe your feet are sticking out the end of the bed when you sleep?
|

replied July 27th, 2009
It's Chiggers, otherwise known as Red Bugs...
|

replied August 27th, 2009
Wow...sounds REALLY messed up. I don't have any advice, but plenty of sympathy. Sounds like a totally sucky sitch.
|

replied December 10th, 2009
Bites around the ankles
I have the same problem an I'm the only one that gets them, Ima try an bomb my apartment but if anyone has any info on this I'd really appreciate it. I will say that when I sprayed
my room with flea killer the bites stopped for awhile but I haven seen any.
|

replied March 15th, 2010
I have this same problem. Only its usually on the back or side of my heel. I find them in the morning and they are usually swollen and I can feel it when I walk. The bite usually goes away in a few hours. I am glad to know I am not the only experiencing it. I just knew what it was. My husband never has this happen to him or anyone else that lives in the house. Fleas? Mosquitoes in winter?
|

replied September 2nd, 2010
jc
i have the same problem tey are around my ankles by mey heal and now moving up my leg little my little i saw a flee a little while back right before the summer started but i bomb every three monthsi inspect my bed my clothes and i dont see nothing i constantly feel things are crawling all over me. i hate the fact that i go to the doctors and they dissmiss me and i have to research for my self on internet
|

replied October 10th, 2010
bites on and around ankles
I need answers please, I just came back to CT from a trip to the west coast and when I got undressed I saw a weird line around my ankles, it was as if something was living in the cuff of my cotton socks and was biting me, but it was a perfectly straight pattern two bites side by side, a straight line etc, all the way around, like small mosquito bites, and itchy. Also, some random itchy bites around my ankle and the back of my legs. It also feels like something is crawling under my skin and the side of my left ankle is bumpy and itchy.I put peroxide on it, cortisone cream, antifungal cream and an itch gel on it(not all at once). I am not crazy or on any drugs. I am wondering if something got into my socks and into my skin somehow? This is scary, and I am glad to have found I am not alone with this problem, what do I do? What is it? I have a small dog, he gets a flea and tick application monthly, he is not itching, other family members do not have any bites. I completely washed all my bedding, done all I can think of. This is giving me the creeps!
|

replied August 18th, 2011
bites around the ankles
I have the same problem, but through my research, fleas tend to bite humans around the ankles. Just because the pets have been tested and no fleas are found on them (probably because they have been treated), doesn't mean they aren't around the home. Mine happen to be mostly around my left ankle (17 bites) and not so much around my right one (7 bites). I treat them with anti-itch creams and ice packs. Heat intensifies the itching, so wash with cooler water when taking a shower. Hope this helps.
|

User Profile
replied October 10th, 2010
Community Volunteer
My first thought was chiggers...do you wear socks to bed?

If it continues...I'd say a visit to a dermatologist would be next.

Zig
|

replied October 22nd, 2010
Hi Zig, thanks for the reply. I do frequently wear socks to bed, what significance does that have? I had socks on while traveling on the plane. When people fly with small pets they put them in a carry case under the seat in front of them. I have also done that in the past.As I stated before these bites appeared on my ankles when I just arrived home from my flight, so maybe I picked up a flea that got trapped in the cuff of my sock and tried to eat it's way out going all the way around my ankle?? It took a long time for these bites to heal and there are still red marks. I took pictures of my ankle but don't see where I might post them here.
|

replied February 15th, 2011
bites, nats, itching,
This also happens to me too - doesnt matter wether im at home or at work i constantly keep getting bit round my ankles. now there are a mixture of fresh bites and old scabby bites due to my constant scratching and itching... i have cats but dont have fleas and ive debugged everything i can - i work in a call centre and get bit there too but no one elce seems to happen. im deffo the only one in my house who's getting them and there getting further up the leg now nearly at my knee.. (think there running out of room round my ankles.) this is on both legs and its getting really bad. docs wont see me or give me anything.. im at my witts end.. got 5 fresh bites this morning alone.. and 3 so far since ive been at work ... HELP!!! i realize this is way old but hoping ppl will still look and reply lol
|

replied March 12th, 2011
u got bed bugs, sweetie.
look it up, not everyone is allergic to their bite but what you are describing definantly sounds to me like bed bugs. they are impossisble to find at first, it took me almost a year to figure out where me and my kids were getting bit from. I thought it was fleas, then mosquitos, then chiggers, then fleas again, but i could not find ANY evidence...until one day i found it stuck in my pant leg and was biting and biting and i didnt know it because they put something in your skin so you dont feel them bitting until they are gone, then the crazy itching starts and dont stop no matter what you put on it! Look more into it online because professionals only take you for your money...this is a long stessful war you are about to get into but there is alot of help online...
|

replied July 30th, 2011
What could it be? (not bed bugs)
happens to me to thats why i came to this thread. It can't be bed bug because I sayed up all night to see what the heck was biting my ankels and I saw nothing yet a few hours later (in the morning around 5 or 6) there were bites. Bed bugs are about the size of the common tick and I would see that, I haven't looked into chiggers but it sounds possible. I only get these bites when I sleep at my moms and no matter what bed I sleep in I get bit. It totally sucks, and also I am the the only one out of five people who live in the house, who gets bit. I'll do some research and come back in a little bit but it is not bed bugs. Also, I spray my bed before I go to bed with flea, tick and bed bug killer and no mater what, i still get bit and its not the spray because ive tried not spraying. Time to go on an online adventure.
|

replied July 31st, 2011
Its Fleas!
It's fleas! After a full day of research I have come to the conclusion that is it fleas. I eliminated scabbies because then everyone would have the side effects seeing as how scabbies only live in your skin. I eliminated chiggers because once again, chiggers would be effecting everyone and I eliminated bed bugs because I couldnt fing any. So where does the conclusion to this mystery lie? The answer is this... the blood. Thats right, it is because of your blood which the fleas love to suck... but how? Fleas, it turns out, do prefer a certain blood type, one being present with the antigen B which is like a delacacy for these pesky little bugs. An antigen is a substance or molecule that, when introduced into the body, triggers the production of an antibody which will eliminate the foreign antigen, in this case being the fleas enzyme to stop blood coagulation. Anyway, fleas love the blood type B so if you're B- or B+ or AB- or AB+ or O- chances are fleas are more attracted to you. I will do more research with actual blood and see if I can find out the specifis and why the fleas prefer it but now you know, its because of your blood type. Wash your sheets, buy flea spray and keep clean. Good luck.
|

replied August 18th, 2011
I have also read that fleas won't bite everyone because they don't "like" everyone. Just didn't know why. So thanks for that information.
|

User Profile
replied June 10th, 2012
I have found bed bugs, not in my bedroom, not on my bed, but on my recliner and on my computer desk. My apt. complex has exterminator here every Thursday, and I been sprayed and sprayed and sprayed and....yup,sprayed. I see none on my couch, under and I see no bugs on any other furniture, only time was when they were crawling on me and that was just a few times. However, I get bites on my ankles and feet. Cat gets bit and runs in the kitchen. Exterminator sayd flea do not live in Colorado, I live downtown Denver. Vet says my cat has no fleas. I have a solution. Once someone told me, get AVON 'SKIN SO SOFT', repalls bugs. I have some on my feet and legs as I got tired of getting bit tonight. So far, so good. I put some on yesterday night, so good for that too. I vacuum 5x a day with my Dyson, and that don't even help. Problem is NOT solved, just covered up. Would like to know what little pests are driving me CRAZY and making my life a hell hole....hope someone comes up with a good solution to rid the hellish pests.
|

replied September 4th, 2011
Bites only on the front of my knees.
I have somewhat the same problem, but my bites are on just my knees. I have the same thing where it feels like there is something is crawling on my legs but there is never anything there. These bites are so itchy and very annoying. Does anyone know what it might be that is causing this?
|

replied September 20th, 2011
Itchy bites below your ankles -> chiggers or fleas
Okay, so if you are experiencing random itchy bites concentrated in areas on or below your knees it's possible it could be one of two things:
1) chiggers. chiggers are commonly found on long tall grasses but it's not unusual to have them in your lawn. Think about it, how often do you come in contact with grass? Do you ever walk across your lawn, walk on the grass if there is no sidewalk, or play with a kid in the grass? If so, there is definitely a chance it's chiggers. If it's chiggers there is good news and bad news. The bad news is that a chigger "bite" is actually the site where a chigger injects/releases a teeny tiny barb into your skin which causes the irritation, and there is really no way of getting it out or stopping the itch (trust me, anti-itch creams and bleach won't do the trick). The good news is that the bites will go away on there own in about 7 days.
2)fleas or mites. if you are finding these bites on you and you have a pet there is a good chance your pet is bringing these pests inside to you. Fleas and mites will stay on any surface, especially carpeting, but need a live host for blood. I would recommend getting your pets rechecked for fleas and mites and then shampooing your carpets or getting a pest bomb.

I hope this helps!
|
12 >>
Quick Reply