Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Sore Throat/pink Eye? (Page 1)

Must Read
What is pink eye and how long is pink eye contagious? Basic facts on types of conjunctivitis and pink eye here....
Pink eye can be allergic, infectious or chemical. Details about what causes pink eye here....
What to do for pink eye? Learn to identify symptoms of pink eye first, and know when to seek medical help. Start understanding more here....
Hello everyone, and thanks in advance for the help Wink .

I have been having this recurring condition now for about a year and a half. It does not recurr often but has now about three times in about a 2 year peroid.

I get a sore throat which steadily gets worse and then my one or both eyes seem to get a very mucusy covering when I wake up (Also very red as like pink eye).

I am wondering what this may be.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper quale213
|
Users who thank Amor for this post: sha31337  sha31337 

replied August 11th, 2007
Recurrent Sore Throat/pink Eye
Okay, so about 2 weeks ago I came down with a sore throat whjich gradually got worse and worse. It seemed isolated to one side of my throat. Two Sundays past my eyes then became inflammed and I had a wealth of mucosal discharge from my eyes. In the morning they were sticky/shut and had to slowly be flushed with water. I visited my campus health center and saw a PA who seemed convinced my symptoms were linked to allergies. She wasn't convinced there was anything related to a bacterial infection. I picked up eye drops and began the 2 drops 4x daily regime. After a day the itchiness and much of the discharge was gone. After 3 days I was able to return to work and after 5 days most of the redness was gone. By Saturday the sore throat I had disappeared. I thought I was free and clear, but not so fast...

My application of the eye drops had become a little infrequent, although still occurring. By the following Thursday (a week after I had returned to work) there was red inflammation again, and then the regionalized sore throat (right side) re-occurred! As I had taken Claritin-D to quell my histaminergic response I was now convinced allergies were contributing to my symptoms. I had to take yesterday off (Friday) and today I'm okay. (Still a little sore throat).

I'm fairly convinced there is something in my cityscape that is highly allergic. I know that there has been some work with my building so I'll have to check on that. However, I believe there may also be a virus going around that is able to reinfect the eyes. There is an adenovirus associated with pink eye, but usually once you have antibodies to these things, that's it, you don't get it again.

However, without jumping to a conclusion of some type of chronic irritating retrovirus that cannot be stopped -I would lean on looking further into your allergies. It may be that we have a allergy that makes us highly susceptible to a virus (even one we are immune to) that causes us to get sick again. (Like a temporary differentiated T-cell deactivator). What I mean is (and this may be totally bugs thinking), maybe your basophils get increased to the point (during an allergic onset) that a co-occurring virus, (like one left on your bedsheets or something you come in contact with) is able to take hold even through you have the antibodies to fight it. Maybe the allergic reaction fights your body's ability to fight it off!

I'm drinking green tea and looking to get an air purifier to place by my bed. I really like the effects of Claritin-D for the short haul, but it caused some insomnia with me last night so I'm going to be watching that. I'm from Fresno, and even with our ag-pollution and asthma rates, I have never experienced anything like this; I'm normally a very healthy guy. Contact me directly if you want,
Spud
|
Users who thank spudhalvorson for this post: chillen  sha31337 

User Profile
replied April 13th, 2011
Upper Respiratory Infection w/ sore throat, and eye infection.
Dear Spud,

About a week ago I went up to the Placerville area, a relative was sick with a sore throat. So, I stayed 15 feet away from her, but as soon as I got back to San Jose CA, about 2 days latter, I noticed the exact same symptoms as you are describing. The sore throat really came on strong last Sunday and (I been the VA Doctors 3 times no help). Now I wake up with a sore throat, and my eyes sealed shut with this crap in my eyes just as you've described.

About a month ago, my daughter living in Florida got the upper respiratory infection with a sore throat, them I got a card in the mail from her and thought that I may have been exposed to it?

There seems to be across the nation a new type of upper respiratory infection that is very serious, and highly contagious, that the doctors are afraid to treat with antibiotics, until the death toll raises to a specific number that they can justify actually doing a test on the bacteria; It's a new disease? Or it�s a biological weapon? Wait and see?

Regards,

Artie
|

replied May 16th, 2012
My sons both had the same symptoms and I just took them to our doctor. He said it was a typical "summer virus" that he has seen lately. Now I have a sore throat with white patches (ulcers) at the back and a dry cough. I feel weak and not much like myself. No pink eye or fever and my sons have both of those. I didn't ask the doctor if he saw ulcers on my son's throat. My infant son had herpangina a few months back, which was a high fever with nasty throat ulcers. We've never been sick so often!
|

replied May 18th, 2012
I just got same symptoms 3 days ago... I'm a very active gal... but today have felt drained and my right eye is solid red... looks awful. fever.. sore throat,chills, aches. Am normally healthy. Hate this. I'm in South Coastal Plains of Texas, near Matagorda,Tx.....Hope your doin better. Im going to bed... its only 730 in Texas. I feel like crud.
|

replied October 30th, 2007
Red Eyes/sore Throat
There must be some virus going around - that seems to have a 2 week cycle.

On Wednesday, the school sent my 7 year old son home with pink eyes - we took him to doctor and got drops so he could go back to school. They cleared up by Sunday. He had general cold symptoms, but generally felt OK.

The following Tuesday (6 days after son's first symptoms) my husband and I both woke up with red itching goopy eyes, with general head cold symptoms, slight sore throat congested head, but the eyes were worst symptom.

I went to doctor and got antibiotic drops. My husband did not. After 5 days, my eyes were still red, but getting better. His were perfectly clear with no drops. We thought we were out of it.
Sunday night (6 days after our first red eye symptoms) the red eyes came back with a vengence, and with a severe sore throat for both of us. It is now Monday night and our throat is still very sore and eyes still red and goopy. Hopefully this clears up in another day or so like yours did!

My son, however, had no such relapse. Ahhh, youth!
|

replied April 11th, 2011
Pink eye
I think I have exactly what you described! I have been sick for almost two weeks now with some sort of cold/ sore throat on and off, and now pink eye for about a week. I am on antibiotics but for some reason the pink eye reappeared with a sore throat 5 days after I have been on the eye drop medication. Any advice?
|

replied April 30th, 2011
Pink eye?
Hello, I'm in the VA area and developed a really bad cold which has turned into a sore throat with pain worse on one side. I then had one eye very swollen with yellow sticky discharge. The swelling has gone down but now both eyes have discharge and I still have a sore throat. Not sure what to do.
|

Found This Page That Best Describes What I Ave
This recent notice is about an increase in pinkeye caused by virus that is going around ...
http://www.gov.ky/portal/page?_pageid=1142 ,2305873&_dad=portal&_schema=porta l
|

Link Doesn't Work
Sorry, that link doesn't work, but it's from Cayman island news and I searched on pink eye sore throat and found it! Hope you find it too!
|

replied September 13th, 2011
i've got it to...in ny
i thought i was the only one going throught this, i live in the bronx, new york and earlier this year i got the same symptoms, i thought it was pink eye and my throat was killing me, the doctor said it was'nt pink eye, it was allergies, the symptoms would leave after about two weeks then return again, but this time my throat would hurt so bad i had to take my friends rx pain killers just so that i could sleep...now my kids are getting it this year...now autumn is coming and im getting the same symptoms and so are my kids...doctors really need to work on something for this...or somthing is happening in our environment...
|

replied November 30th, 2011
Pink eye/ Sore throat from Pharyngoconjunctival fever
I know this is mostly an older forum but wanted to reply. I am also having these symptoms and I believe it is Pharyngoconjunctival fever (a type of Adenovirus). 1-2 weeks for it to run it's course and longer in some instances.
As this is a virus, antibiotic drops would only be affective in preventing a bacterial infection of the eyes but wouldn't treat the viral infection, hence the pink eye persisting and seemingly worsening at 5-7 days in (or the peak of the virus).
As much as I wanted to believe there was some new crazy illness that was making me feel so horrible when I was up reading this forum at 3 am after waking up with sore throat and eyes crusted shut 7 days into my sickness, I am afraid this is just a normal old PCF infection. Antibiotic drops are great for preventing a secondary bacterial infection, but other than that it is rest, fluids, and ibuprofen for swelling/pain. Warm saline compresses also seem to help the eyes.
|
Users who thank Anon485 for this post: jeanettey 

replied January 13th, 2012
Thank goodness!!!!! I was really starting to freak out, wondering what the hell I have gotten!! Everything everyone says here is exactly what I have been going through since the day after Christmas. It started with a sore throat for a few days, then the super red eyes, then green and yellow crap coming from my eyes and sealing them shut at night. Then it started what seems to be a bad sinus infection and possibly strep throat? My ears have also become itchy inside and the goop from my eyes seems to have spread to my nose and into my lungs. This thing is pretty nasty. I have never had anything like this before in my life and never knew anyone with it so it is a huge relief to have found this posting. I hope that others will find it helpful too!
|

replied January 13th, 2012
Thank goodness!!!!! I was really starting to freak out, wondering what the hell I have gotten!! Everything everyone says here is exactly what I have been going through since the day after Christmas. It started with a sore throat for a few days, then the super red eyes, then green and yellow crap coming from my eyes and sealing them shut at night. Then it started what seems to be a bad sinus infection and possibly strep throat? My ears have also become itchy inside and the goop from my eyes seems to have spread to my nose and into my lungs. This thing is pretty nasty. I have never had anything like this before in my life and never knew anyone with it so it is a huge relief to have found this posting. I hope that others will find it helpful too!
|

replied January 22nd, 2012
Wow. I have the same symptoms
Damn, I am going through this right now. Had a cold a couple weeks ago. It got better then all of a sudden it came back with vengeance. Now a bad sore throat, cold, and my eyes are horribly ugly red, sore itchy. 24 hours on anit-biotic srops and all it did was go to the other eye as well. I woke up last night and thought maybe I have some really bad health condition or something. Or that maybe I was going to go blind. I already missed two days of work. This is some horrible stuff.. I am so glad I found this posting. I watch Contagion last night and was thinking all kinds of stuff. Miserable bug whatever it is.. At 50, Pink Eye was never in my equations.

Keep me posted please
|

replied February 3rd, 2012
Viral pink eye in NYC January 2012
I just had viral pink eye. Started in right eye on 1/22 then moved to the left on 1/25. I had a sore throat, stuffy nose, body aches, swollen lymph nodes
In my face and throat. I am scared of it coming back. I was out of commission for 10 days with ear neck and back pain. My eye had swollen so bad on the right side. I agree that it is scary and is a robust virus. I am really going to try and eat better and get more sleep bc being sick makes you appreciate when you are not sick!
Praying for all of us. Mica
|

replied March 20th, 2012
Pink eye- sore throat
I had an infection with my lungs- i have asthma and am a teacher so always exposed to things. I woke up 2 days later with what appeared to be pink eye. The pink eye seemed to be controlled and I ended up with extremely sore throat and hurting ears. I went to the doctor, he said the antibiotics did not help so it must be viral. He said my ears were clear but he couldn't see inside my throat. It is not getting any better and it has been about two weeks. I live on an island in the pacific. I was recently in Guam, where I am wondering if I picked up the virus during the regional spelling bee. No one else has come up with pink eye here on the island.....yet.....
|

replied May 18th, 2012
Sore throat and pink eye - both on right side
I have the same exact thing. Please tell me this goes away...
|

replied June 8th, 2012
I have the same symptoms. Fever, soar throat with ear pain (probably strep), and red pink gooey eye (conjunctivitis)-both on the left side. I feel like crap. My friend, mom, and sister have been sick too, but not as bad. I have had a fever many times in my life, strep two or three times, but I have never had pink eye until now. I am very clean and all... I just guess I'm just prone to it. Anyway, I just hope this virus goes away soon so I can enjoy summer break!
|

replied June 10th, 2012
same here!
Yup, totally have what you all do. Had a sore throat about a month ago followed by pink eye, which was treated with drops from my eye doc who was stunned by how bad a case of conjunctivitis I had after only experiencing symptoms for a day. I hadn't had pink eye since I was like 10! So it had been gone for about 3 weeks and now it's back with a vengeance, but at least I have left over drops this time so I've managed to stomp out the pink eye before it gets horrible again. SO annoying!!!
|

replied June 12th, 2012
strep and pink eye related?
I have a similar story as well. I'm 27 weeks pregnant and developed a SEVERE sore throat/stuffy nose complete with green goo but no fever or white spots on the throat. My OB advised benadryl, tylenol and throat lozenges. Within a few days my eye became constantly gooey and later that night I was feeling worse than i already did. By next morning my eye was sealed shut and my nose had a similar crusting. I saw the dr that day and was given antibiotics via drops and orally. I'm convinced my sore throat and pink eye are related and had my sore throat been adressed immediately I would not be suffering as greatly. IT FEELS LIKE STREP. As a side note, I do wear soft contacts and have still not shown any signs of fever. Although my blood pressure did skyrocket to 160/80. I find it no coincidence that 24 hours later all my symptoms have eased up immensly even though I was considered to be acting like a baby over the side effects of a cold. I urge you to listen to your body and follow your instincts, only you know how you're feeling!
|

replied July 16th, 2012
Summer
I caught the same sickness, same symptoms, pink eye and sore throat, and then stomach problems. I had just went to six flags last Thursday, read about Adenovirus last night, I have the same symptoms listed, it seems I may have caught it on the water rides. ;( I never miss work. Hope everyone feels better.
|

replied July 22nd, 2012
Summer 2012 virus
Yep - Started on Friday the 13th. Boom. Sore throat and 102 fever. This lasted the weekend and on Sunday the 15th went to clinic to R/O strep and was told it was viral. On Monday the 16th it moved to my lungs and head. By Wednesday night I had complete laryngitis by Thursday/Friday I had an ear infection. On Friday I started prednisone and antibiotics. By Saturday I had red eyes with thick discharge. Pharmacist stated that I should stop the pred. Today is Sunday and both my eyes are bright red with discharge. I'm an RN and have lost four days of work! This is horrible!
|

replied July 23rd, 2012
follow up report ;D
@georgina, mine started Thursday the 12th, I have not taken antibotics nor went to the doctor since, I made soup - tumeric, potatoes, cumin, beans, carrots, spinach. Drinking Orange juice, lime honey and water, two slices of fresh cut ginger and yogi tea and honey... Vicks cough syrup made me sicker and REAL tired!Sad...left eye super red on Friday 13th ;( fit the theme, I tried really hot compresses on eyes, kind of worked, still woke up with stuff in eyes all last week, both eyes kind of red, saline did not work, tried doctor recommended systane ultra high performance, ok, but eyes still itchy. Friday, July 20, got homeopathic Chestal Honey by Boiron, every two hours, by Sunday July 20th, got second bottle, cough clearing up. Sunday also got bottle of Silmilason, Irritated Eye Relief, eyes on Monday July 23 much better, not so much gritty stuff on wake. Trying to fight this cold best I could without antibotics.
|

replied November 17th, 2012
Similar Symptoms
My goodness I thought I was going crazy or something!!! I have very similar symptoms to what people are posting.

The night I had gotten off the plan in SF, I developed what seemed like a common cold but usually I have the worst of it for about 2-3 days then I start to recover. But it's been almost two full weeks of almost non stop yakking, fevers, vomiting, plugged ears, etc...then I woke up in the morning with my right eye blood shot red and later in the day the left on went red on me too. Then I woke up with crusted shut eyes and I completely freaked out. I washed them out and put in allergy eye drops.

So far, I'm on day 3 with crusted shut eyes and still that persistent cough. I don't like to sleep because whenever I wake up I yak like I'm dying with all this mucus coming out to the point I'm starting to throw up after coughing.

I've been taking vitamin supplements, carrying around my tea containers and always drinking liquids (water, hot tea, etc). I've been eating hot cereals as snacks throughout the day to soothe my throat and keep some energy in me. I've resolved if another week goes by without any improvement, I'm checking in the hospital for an exam to see if I really do have something dangerous 0_0"....
|
12 >>
Quick Reply