Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

How to Tell If Tampon Still In

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
not sure but i think i have left a tampon in 3 days ago, the string was really short and i think its gone up inside i couldnt remember the next day if i did put one in or not as i was abit drunk!, couldnt find the string the next day so i presumed i didnt, but i have a bit of tummy ache and it just feels odd to me down there inside, without being to graphic i cannot find anything, is there any way else left to check, i dont want to go drs and waste there time if there is nothing there!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 2nd, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Well, you should be able to reach in and feel it. Can you feel all the way to your cervix? (that is the end and it pokes into your vagina a little) if you can, then there is no way there is a tampon in there.... they can't go past your cervix.

If you can't feel that far, can you peek with a mirror? If you try these and still think it might be up there, go to a doc. But I never lost one... I can always reach in and feel them.

Good luck
|

User Profile
replied August 2nd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Oy. That sucks.

Crouch down, like spread your legs and crouch down to the floor. Poke around in there, you should be able to feel it if it's there.
|

replied August 2nd, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Yep, crouch down, on the bathroom floor, and push! Yes, you can push... and while pushing, feel inside for your cervix.
|

replied August 3rd, 2007
if its been in u for that long it puts u at risk for tss(toxic shock syndrom}!
|

User Profile
replied August 4th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Yeah, if you think it's in there you should go to a doc because it can be dangerous-- for tss and infections...
|

replied August 4th, 2007
update!!! well its always nice to get that isnt it!..well first off thankyou to all that answered me worry...well i did have a delve about and i couldnt feel or see anything, and last night me and my husband had sex and i didnt feel anything untoward Very Happy so i guess it was a false alarm this time!! i know in future now tho just to be a little more aware of what im doing!!!
|

replied August 28th, 2010
I think my tampon my be in so far the i cant reach it
i understand what all of youare saying but can a tampon actually go to the side where you cant reach it at all it's been a month is it possible for it to be that far in where i cant get it. i've started my next period and it is very light where usually it very heavy. dont have any insurance to go to the doctor please some one help doctor
|

replied August 29th, 2010
Especially eHealthy
mshobbyshack, Not really. Your vagina ends. It does not extend endlessly into your body. Stand or squat like you do when you insert your tampon, Stick your finger in there and feel around all the sides and at the top of your vagina. Feel around your cervix. You cannot break anything. As a matter of fact, you will learn something useful about your own body.

If you still had your tampon in, you would have had a smell coming from there and most likely an infection by now. The string should also still be there.

Best of luck!
|

replied April 16th, 2011
I'm in the same position. Last night i think i fell asleep with a tampon in, but i woke up this morning to pull it out and it wasn't there. I have tiny little abdominal pains, but i don't know whether that is just my period? I've tried to squat and feel if it's inside me, but i can't seem to feel it. Is there any other checks i can do before going to the doctor or a sexual health clinic?
|

replied April 16th, 2011
I'm in the same position. Last night i think i fell asleep with a tampon in, but i woke up this morning to pull it out and it wasn't there. I have tiny little abdominal pains, but i don't know whether that is just my period? I've tried to squat and feel if it's inside me, but i can't seem to feel it. Is there any other checks i can do before going to the doctor or a sexual health clinic?
|

replied April 16th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
Haych, if you cannot feel it, it is not in there. A tampon cannot go anywhere. The vagina is a sealed organ. Whatever you put inside it must come out again the same way.

It sounds like you forgot to put a tampon in...

Take care.
|

replied October 30th, 2012
If the vagina is sealed, how does the baby make its way into the vaginal canal from the womb? Confused!
|

replied October 30th, 2012
Community Volunteer (online)
At the top of your vagina you will feel something that feels like the tip of your nose. in the middle, there is a little dimple. this is the entrance where sperm will enter your body to make you pregnant.

During child birth, everything stretches and opens up tremendously. The baby will come out through your cervix (that little hole stretches and stretches and stretches) and vagina.
|

replied August 18th, 2013
I put a tampon in last night at least i thought i did i woke up to go pull it out and it wasnt there! And if their is a tampon inside me would i still being bleed and would their be blood on clothes??? Please help me im really scared out mind
|

replied August 18th, 2013
There is no reason to be scared. Your vagina is closed at the top. Your tampon cannot go anywhere. If you put it in, it is still there. Put some personal lubricant or saliva on your finger, take the same position you use to put it in and feel with your finger. Feel around your cervix.

If you still think you have one in after that, but cannot feel it, go to the ER, a nurse or your doctor.

Unless you bled very very very heavy and right through it, you should not see blood in your underwear. If you do not take it out, you can see some spotting and get a bad smell after a few days, but not within hours.

It does not sound like you put one in.
|

User Profile
replied December 24th, 2013
losing your tampon
its making me really upset to see all these responses about how you "can't" lose your tampon... about the cervix hole being too small. that part is true- it won't go into your body randomly, but it can absolutely go deep inside you. especially if you had sex, or put another one in, forgetting about the original. i should know, both has happened to me. this first time, i was on the fence about it, so went to get it checked out, and lo-and-behold! there is was. the second time, i never even knew. i didn't feel any pain, but my boyfriend noticed a smell, i assumed i had a yeast infection so i went to get it checked out and when she opened me up- that's what she found. almost a month after my period ended and i drunkenly had sex with my man! its super common. so don't act like no one's every gotten a tampon stuck just because you haven't. every body's different, i've never been able to fish mine out, even if i can feel it. so guess what? on to scenario #3: last night and i'm off to the doctor's in a bit. but don't be nervous or embarrassed. it is MUCH better to be safe than sorry.
|

Not sure what you are upset about? Nobody is saying you cannot forget a tampon in there. You are living proof of that. But it cannot get lost. Guaranteed, if you forgot it in your vagina, it is still there. 'Deep' is only as deep as your vagina. Typically about 10 cm when you are not aroused.

If it has been in there for a while, letting it soak up a bit of water will make it break up. Douching with clean water is actually a good thing when you have a stuck tampon.

Best of luck with scenario #3
|

User Profile
oh and if you don't have health insurance, check to see what woman's clinics are available in your area. like planned parenthood. no insurance necessary!
|
Quick Reply