Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

During Sleep My Body Temperature Rise to the 100's (Page 1)

Dose anyone else have this? I have metioned it over the years to my Doctors, but I guess they thought I was not telling the truth or it was no big deal.

Not to mention it makes it hard to sleep with another person. I am afraid of that spontanious combustion thing. But no one seems to even give a crap that this is happening to me and always has.

Weather you believe me or not, My temperature has gotten as high as 105 wile I was asleep. My first husband complained constantly of my body heat wile asleep so he started charting my temperature wile I was asleep. It always got into the hundreds.

I am healthy and happy with no complaints with the exception of worry over that combustion thing, But is this normal?

I also Get cold very very easily I do not break a sweat until the temperature hits over 90 and I am very comfortable in high heat. Is this all combined?

Am I just built different? and why do Drs seem to just egnor my questions over the subject.

Dose anyone even have an explanation for me? Question Question Question
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper billy01
|
Users who thank tammyokcity for this post: jamesn1960 

replied August 12th, 2007
Body Temp Over 100
My husband's temp also gets extremely hot while he sleeps. I think it is because of the chemicals that he works around and that he works in extremely high heat, like 130 degree temps. However, it also turned out that he had hypertension and his blood pressure rises a lot when he gets hotter. Also perhaps you are having high aniexty. Hope this helps.
|

replied February 21st, 2012
I have had the EXACT same experience, save I am a male.... Since childhood my body temp has risen SUBSTANTIALLY at night, often causing my wife to scoot close in the winter and away in summer. I have done extensive research on this without garnering any real help as most issues seem to be related to other problems.
I have noticed that my Father, Brother and Sons (no sister or Aunt to test) all have the same physiological response while sleeping - independent of their external environment, diet, mood or emotional situation, age, geographical location, body fat content and MOST IMPORTANT - Independent of any secondary health problems!
After years of investigation and medical discussions I have come to the educated conclusion that the trait of a raised temperature during a persons sleep can be attributed to a genetic difference. I have a substantial (50%) amount of Native American heritage in me - my father being 100% and my son's 25%. (alaskan native.)

I believe that this is nothing more than a regressive gene that has yet to be identified. However, I am speaking specifically about Britwhit and my own experiences - from childhood on - I would NOT think this about a case with a person that suddenly develops these symptoms...

I am actually quiet proud of the fact that I don't need a blanket in Alaska! That's saying something eh? Course....Global warming might make me quickly feel cursed in the years to come...

All my best!
Barry Littleton at yahoo electronic mail
|

replied May 3rd, 2012
I'm a quarter Native American too and I also get extremely hot at night. My usual trick is to put 3 or 4 ice cubes in a zip lock bag and hold my wrists on it or put it behind my knee as I go to sleep. It helps cool your blood down as it circulates.
|

replied June 16th, 2012
Hot when sleeping
Exactly the same problem, but being born in Africa, with French/Dutch forefathers. I consider changing my bed - sleeping separately from my wife, but that is causing a bit of anxiety. Any suggestions? Please send suggestions.
|

replied June 24th, 2012
My body temp rises to 100+ when sleep.
I get extremely hot when I sleep. To the point that I've had complaints of bed partners. My dog won't even cuddle with me if I doze off. I am also afraid of spontaneous combustion. I do have native american ancestors only 2 generations removed. I wonder if that is what it is. I would be very interested in a verified factual scientific explanation.

Kema
|

replied April 13th, 2008
body is like a furnace while sleeping
I have this, too. It actually started for me after getting lipo a few years ago. I don't know if that is related, but my husband complains about how hot I get while I am sleeping and sometimes I wake up with a headache. I would love to hear why it happens since I am starting to get very concerned. I read that a thyroid test might help, so I am going to see if that is the cause.
|

replied May 14th, 2008
Intense Nightsweats and High Body Temperature during Sleep
Hello,
my boyfriend gets severe nightsweats and his body temperature is extremely high while he sleeps. Even if the room temperature is at 68F and without a blanket he sweats excessivley. He gets so warm at night that even I start to sweat, which I never do while sleeping. This makes it very difficult to get a goodnights rest when he stays over but more importantly I am concerned about his health. He recently started on blood pressure medication, which keeps his bp in the normal range. Otherwise he is a very fit and healthy person.
Does anyone know what the possible causes could be and how to solve this problem?
|

replied June 19th, 2008
Night time sweating
Hello all, I see there are plenty of people that are familiar with this, but no one has answers huh? TammyokCity...everything you described...my husband goes through. I decided to Google it, and came across your posting. He sweats profusely at night time and during the day he never sweats. We live in FL and I sweat the minute I walk out the door. He does labor work in 95 degree weather and doesn’t sweat. Come night time when it’s 70 degrees, under a blanket, with barely any cloth on, he gets so hot, and sweats so bad, that in the middle of the night he has to put a towel underneath him.

Hopefully someone will post some answers soon. Thank you for sharing.
|

replied July 12th, 2008
Body Temp Rise during sleep
Mine does as well. As a matter of fact, this morning I woke up and could actually feel the heat, and had to turn the temperature down a few degrees until I cooled off. I have had my ex husband and a previous boyfriend say I generated so much heat, I must be sick. Every thing I have googled has said body temp decreases during sleep. Mine doesnt though. Have no idea why. While I am older, this isnt night menopausal sweats since I have been this way since I can remember. I guess I will still keep looking. My heat was so high this morning, I decided to google again and found these posts!
|

replied July 15th, 2008
Radioactive Mode
This same thing happens to me just about every night. My fiance likes to tell me that I go "radioactive" at night as soon as I fall asleep. I have no clue what causes it and I came across this forum when I was trying to get some ideas...

The strange thing about it is that I am actually a very cold natured person. I take very hot showers that to me seem luke-warm & comfy but to my fiance is scalding & painful. I will even wear a sweater jacket in 70-degree weather.

But as soon as I go to sleep, my body temperature just skyrockets. My fiance says it feels like heat is radiating off my body and sometimes its actually bothersome to him. I will wake up in the middle of the night with all the covers kicked off. I even have to run fans in the room so that I will be able to make it through the entire night comfortably, otherwise I'll wake up numerous times due to feeling so hot.

Does anyone have any clue what this is from? And what can stop it? I've never mentioned it to a doctor before, but maybe someone out there has found a solution?
|

replied June 2nd, 2011
overheating during sleep
I have excactly the same thing...normally cold natured, take very hot baths, always saying the ac is turned too low, etc. Shortly after going to bed & start to get uncomfortably warm & it continues through most of the night - sometimes I get up & walk around the house to cool off.
|

replied October 11th, 2011
Excess body heat
I am the same way ! I radiate heat so much . That when we go camping in the Fall or hunting . My husband uses me as his blanket . . lol
When the temps. anywhere dip below like the mid 60's I start to break out into hives .
I have to have a coat .
Even out in early evening , if I'm watering my yard and I get wet . My skin starts to itch and I turn red .
During this summer (Texas) I couldn't even go anywhere dressed up , I sweat to much !
|

replied September 23rd, 2008
my body temperature is way off too
Hi, I'm so glad I came across your post as I'm starting to realize how bad my sleep actually is. I've known for a few years that my temperature rises during my sleep, but I thought that was normal. It seems like I just accumulate and store heat, though, and throughout the night it just keeps getting hotter. In the winter, I'll wake up sweating and throw off the covers, then get incredible chills from the cold air hitting the water on my skin. Throughout most of the year, though, I just wake up and can't fall back asleep, alternating between throwing off and pulling on covers.

I also have some other body heat problems, namely I am constantly cold and have to wear socks or else my toenails turn light blue. My hands are constantly icy to touch and my fingernails are pretty much always light blue unless I'm exercising, showering, etc. Furthermore, I seem to overheat easily and not just while I sleep. For instance, if I'm late in the morning and I have to run for 30 seconds or so to try to catch a train to work, I overheat and sweat and feel the flush go all the way up to my head. The thing is, I am so sweaty I have to either take off clothing or use my shirt to fan myself to try to dry the sweat. After just 30 seconds of running, it takes me 10-20 minutes before I return to a comfortable temperature and stop feeling flushed.

A lot of people on this thread have posted similar overheating problems, but who has some solutions? What is going on with my body and how can I change it???
|

replied February 17th, 2012
Keroppi, I don't know if you're still reading this thread after 4 years (probably not) but what you describe sounds like a heart condition which results in poor circulation. The extremities turning blue is typically a sign the tissue isn't getting enough fresh oxygen. Cold hands can also indicate poor circulation of blood (which also circulates heat through the body). Also, you say it takes an inordinate amount of time to recover after running. After you've stopped running and are waiting to stop feeling flushed, what's your heart rate like? Still fast as if you were still running? The flush is a natural result of physical exertion, but the duration of the flush could indicate a health problem, I definitely think you should get your heart checked for function, i.e.a fitness test.
|

replied May 30th, 2012
Sounds like classic symptoms of Raynaud's Syndrome, with icy cold fingers and toes. Look it up, print out info, and take it to your dr's.
|

replied October 7th, 2008
body overheat during sleep
Hi all, I'm so glad I came across this forum although no clear answer has been posted yet. I just went to the walk-in clinic this morning because of my UTI problem. I really think it has a lot to do with my overheating body temperature during sleep. I'm usually very cold, and take extremely hot showers. However, after I fall asleep, my body temperature seems to just keep rising. My husband has complained about this. He usually feels hot, and would sweat immediately anywhere above 25 degree Celsius. I on the other hand, never sweat even though my skin feels way hotter to the touch than his. If I try to lift the blanket to cool down, I feel extremely cold as soon as my skin is exposed to the air at room temperature. I mentioned this to the doctor this morning, and he said it's a body defense mechanicsm. I guess he tried to say that things like fevers or increased body temperature is a warning to infections and such. However, I've had this problem forever and I can't possibly have infections all the time. Anyway, he told me to measure my body temperature when I wake up in the middle of the night, and if it's clearly higher than other time of the day, then there's something wrong with my body. I can't wait to find out what it is.
|

replied November 2nd, 2011
Body Heat Rising During Sleep
I have this same problem too, but i don't get the shivers from trying to cool down. If i kick the covers off I eventually get cold but warm back up to sweating in seconds. I don't sleep well either and haven't for years. Haven't went to the doc yet but if anyone finds out i would love to know why this happens
|

replied May 24th, 2012
I think mine may be auto-immune disease related, yours too?
I was wondering if you ever found out. Yours sound much like mine. I was diagnoses with Fibromyalgia and Hashimoto's disease. With FM one of the symptoms is not being able to regulate body temp. But Hashimoto's disease is my own immune system attacking my thyroid. So even though I haven't been told, I figure auto-immune disease probably has a lot to do with why I get hot. My body thinks it's at war. So when I'm sleeping and I want to a lot, I am always tired, my body is busy fighting itself.

Not the answer I was hoping to find in my internet search, but the answer I was expecting. Nothing I have read has fully confirmed this. But when you've been to see a doctor as much as I have, you start just appreciating theories, even your own.

Oh I took my temp and blood pressure with this last nap. My temp is higher than usual for me. I'm cold when I'm awake, usually. My blood pressure, which is always very normal when I'm awake was the highest I have seen it today at 160/100 which alarmed me enough to take it twice (both arms) then wait a while and have my son do it again. I couldn't believe it was that high. So it obviously rises when I'm heating up. And to clarify the body temp was almost 99F but my son touched one of my legs and his hand felt like ice. This is the son that is always very warm. So I am sure my legs were hotter than my ear. Which is how I got my temp.

And I get terrible headaches for anyone reading this that wonders about that. I'v had migraines that have lasted a week before someone would take me to the hospital. I was no longer able to say what I wanted or needed. After that long I usually just start asking questions about what to do. I must look desperate by the reactions I do remember.
|

replied December 21st, 2008
I am happy I came across this thread as well. I also get very hot and usually sweaty when I sleep. Even just being in bed watching TV with my husband I start to get hot. I never noticed it until my now husband said something awhile ago. I have always lived with it and thought it was normal until he kept telling me there was something wrong with me. Other than that, I am a normal, healthy 22 year old with no other complaints. I wonder what it is that makes us hot like this?
|

replied December 22nd, 2008
High body temparature
Hi! My husband started having sweats some years ago. Usually at night, but sometimes during the day too, especially first thing in the morning when he's trying to get ready. We traced it down to an overgrowth of yeast problem. The fermentation of sugars in his body causes his temperature to rise. He went on a very low sugar diet and anti yeast programme and it cleared up for a good while. Whenever he doesn't watch his diet and drinks more alcohol and eats more sweet things it comes back again.
|

replied March 31st, 2011
This makes sense. I also have a bit of HBP. Seems that if I don't drink half my weight in ounces a day, I get warmer at night. Eating before going to sleep also seems to get the sweats going. Anyone who can't find answers from a regular doc should see a naturalpath.
|

replied December 24th, 2008
Re: Intense Nightsweats and High Body Temperature during Sleep
billy01 wrote:
Hello,
my boyfriend gets severe nightsweats and his body temperature is extremely high while he sleeps. Even if the room temperature is at 68F and without a blanket he sweats excessivley. He gets so warm at night that even I start to sweat, which I never do swhile leeping.
. This makes it very difficult to get a goodnights rest when he stays over but more importantly I am concerned about his health. He recently started on blood pressure medication, which keeps his bp in the normal range. Otherwise he is a very fit and healthy person.
Does anyone know what the possible causes could be and how to solve this problem?
|

replied January 9th, 2009
Body Temp Over 100
Hello Tammyokcity,

I found your posting while searching for answers...it's now 2am in the morning after waking up beside my wife. I'm unable to return to sleep beside her due to her extreamly high radiant body heat, identical symptoms to your's.

She's been like it since I can remember, over 30 years. She never sweats but at times I swear that I could cook an egg on her. At times I think she's going to spontanious combust.
It's pitty that to date nobody has been able to provided you with answers. Anyway if ever you do find out I'd love to hear from you, as I always worry that my wifes symptoms could be a sign of something that's going to harm her in years to come...if not I'm sure that one night she's gonna cook me.

Regards,

James
|
Users who thank jamesn1960 for this post: tammyokcity 

replied September 29th, 2011
No combustion or impending doom.
Just a word to put the spontaneous combustion thing to bed.. It is not real, there is no scientific proof of it being real. Second, a body temp is not dangerous until 108 degrees. 96-99 is a normal temp range, 100-101 is a low grade fever, 102-104 is a moderate fever, and 104-105 is a high fever BUT not dangerous. Also, fevers are not a bad thing (until they get in the high range, that can be a sign of a bacterial infection), they are the bodies way of fighting of illness.

As far as the hot as a skillet while asleep thing goes it probably isn't a fever. I experience the same thing and also am not sure why but on a normal basis it is not dangerous. Some of us are just like that. And just because the skin temp feels high, that does not mean that some one has a fever. Skin temp does not always reflect a core temperature, which would indicate fever. Example: You can stand in the sun and your skin will be hot to touch, but if you take your temp it will be in a normal range.

So moral of the story: hot skin at night is not dangerous and you will not spontaneously combust. And just because your skin is hot does not mean you have a fever.
|

replied January 9th, 2009
all of you concerned with sleep and body temp
THERE ARE MULTIPLE POSSIBLITIES THAT CAN CAUSE HIGH BODY TEMP WHILE SLEEPING, there is a possibility of a hypothalamic tumor or disregulation (part of your brain that controls body temp) if you refer to sleep apnea...individuals stop breathing while asleep, well this is similar except your hypothalamus may be forgetting to regulate body temp. there is also a possibilty that infection has gotten into the blood stream, i would ask for a CBC (complete blood count), if inconclusive, maybe an MRI to rule out brain lesions or misfiring synapses of autonomic nervous system functions, another possibility is just simply you may needto try cold wash cloths on the head just before bed, drink a lot of water to ensure you arent dehydrated sorry if this doesnt help but keep me posted this is very interesting to me
|

replied April 7th, 2011
Any doctor out there?
I am a very healthy woman. I exercise and eat very healthy. For the past 5 years, past boyfriends (including my current) say that my body is "like a furnace" while I am sleeping. I've actually made my boyfriend break into sweats (numerous times) during the night from just sleeping next to me. It's sometimes uncomfortable to even touch me at night because I am "burning up." I (on the other hand) don't break a sweat. I can feel the heat mostly in my chest area... but all over my body. I ALWAYS keep water next to my bed & replenish throughout the night. Once I rise in the morning, the heat seems to disappear & I go about my day.
Truth - I feel like I might completely overheat while I'm sleeping. Scares me.
Any doctor out there know what's going on???
|

replied June 30th, 2011
boiling high body temp
I have Auto Immune Thyroid with extremely high antibody levels. These last few years it has taken me longer and longer to cool my core body temp. To the point I am up almost all night trying to get cool..cause the heat causes muscle cramps in my legs. All day long I can feel it rise especially during the summer. I have been fighting with Dr about the thyroid issue for years..as it goes from hypo to hyper and the back to hypo. I have lost control of my ability to be active..cause of the thyroid, it is harder to deal with in the summer. any suggestions.
Boiling in NY
|

replied January 11th, 2009
sorry, no answers either
Hi everybody,

I have the same thing. My body temperature rises when I fall asleep. If I can't get warm enough, I can't fall asleep. But I only noticed how warm I get, after somebody else mentioned it to me. I don’t kick my covers off and I don’t wake during the night.

Sorry, I don't have any answers either. It’s very likely, that there is more than one possible cause for this. But I think, that people, who get warmer when they fall asleep often have cold hands and/or feet, love long hot showers and have less problems during hot summer days than in the winter. Does this apply to you (your spouse/boyfriend/…)? Because it definitely does for me.

I don’t think that this temperature rise is a fever that the body uses to fight infection. That would mean that we are permanently fighting some infection for the last x years.
I don’t want to believe, that I have a tumor in my head either…
One of my theories is (in case this does have something to do with cold hands and feet), that the body needs to raise the temperature of the hands and feet so they are as warm as the torso, or maybe even warmer. And after they are warm enough, maybe the torso starts to cool down.
Did anybody try measuring the temperature of the torso, the hands, in the mouth, maybe even in the rectum at different times? To see how the temperature evolves when we start to fall asleep and when we sleep. Even better would be a thermo-picture, if one could borrow a thermo-camera somewhere. Smile I’ve been planning to do this for a long time, but never really tried it.

What is your experience?
As many others I’m really glad I found this discussion. So if you find any info on this topic, don’t forget to post it here. Wink
|

replied December 1st, 2011
you know I was thinking maybe along the same line of the same thing, I notice when I radiate heat is when I'm most drained. I've been study new meditations and they talk about energy healing and when you are meditating/sleeping you receive cosmic energy either way if you believe in the cosmetic energy or not fact is that we do receive energy while we are sleeping and relaxing. makes a little more sense, thanks for you post I prefer to think that my body is healing and energizing its self then its a symptom of death or disease!!
|

replied February 24th, 2012
I would agree with this. I also light up like a "furnace" at night, but during the day I can be cold (i like hot showers and warm weather too). My theory is also that I am in a relaxed state (much different from my normal life in which I live a busy, fast paced life and have some energetic blocks) and my body is in a high state of healing/relaxation. Also, I do see some ties to hormones with this and the energetic state. Are any of you hypoglycemic or diabetic? My hormone levels rise and drop fairly easily, and I have to watch my consumption levels (eat small meals throughout the day) and sugar in-take so I don't easily crash into recovery. I saw a person on this thread has thyroid issues. I do a slightly healthy amount of anxiety, and I believe this also creates an energetic imbalance.
|

replied January 28th, 2009
been pondering this lately
Well, interestingly enough I also don't have an answer but do have the basic symptom of rising body temperature during sleep. My ex told me my body would typically start to radiate heat about half an hour after falling asleep. He liked it in the winter, but not in the summer. This is a consistent part of my life without any correlating ill health.

Anyways, the post about cold hands and feet touched on what I've been pondering lately... which is, what if it's just that during the day we're stressed enough to cause circulation problems (hence the cold hands and feet) and at night our bodies relax enough to reverse that? Or, I've heard of people who do "energy healing" where their hands actually radiate heat while either giving a massage, Qi Gong, or hands-off healing. Maybe it has something to do with the physical process involved with transmitting energy?

As others, I have no answers. Interesting that I've just now become curious enough about it to Google it and came across this post.
|

replied November 6th, 2011
body heats up while sleeping -
Blood heat, is what I was told I live with by a couple friends who are acupuncturists. I have accepted this as my constitution...that my body becomes a heater in the night after asleep for a good hour. And I do have cold hands and feet during the day other than when I give a massage or do my tai chi practice.
|

replied February 6th, 2009
Night Sweats
I too have the extreme heat during sleep and then I'm cold the rest of the day. I don't know what the cause of this is. However, a few people have mentioned severe night sweats. Night sweats are a sign that something could be seriously wrong. Anyone who has night sweats where they are drenched in the morning MUST see a doctor. For the rest of us, i have no idea what the issue is.
|

replied February 9th, 2009
high body temp at night
I get extremly hot during the night I mostly do not realize it but my husband has been tellin me that I got hot for years now. I unlike others that I have read do not sweat. I am a diabetic so I have no idea if my blood sugars have anything to do with it. I have never asked my doctor but now that I have read how many people get high temps at night I plan on asking.
|

User Profile
replied February 10th, 2009
OMG Night Sweats !!!!
I also get very "heated" at night. My husband is nice enough to get the blanket off my back at night and cool me down before I get to bad (as some nights are)...I also experience hair loss and growth where this was not an issue before.
I have had the full panel of Hormone, thyroid and hypothalmus tests and CBC Blood work, I was thinking it was a result of a hysterectomy in 2007. However "NO!" is the answer I get from the Dr's because I am still in my 20's and considered to be in good health....I'm frusterated with a lack of information in this department and not knowing what is happening..so in my desperate need for answers (not only for me but for my patient husband) am seeing the Dr once again today to find out more answers (hopefully) if any possibilities come up I will share.
I'm glad this is not an isolated issue. Thanks to everyone for sharing.
|

replied September 7th, 2011
Hair loss / Cold during Day / Burning during Sleep
I'm also having hair loss for over 2 years!!! Very cold in the day but I notice shortly before falling asleep I am burning up. During sleep, my husband pushes me saying he can feel my body heat and he can't sleep because I am too hot. I wonder if stress is a factor- and doctors told me I have a hormone imbalance due to stress which causes the hair to fall out. Maybe stress also affects the body temperature.
|

replied February 15th, 2009
Not sleeping due to body temperature
I also have had the problem for some time now. I go to bed cold and wake up warm 2 to 4 hours later and then can't go back to sleep for a couple of hours. Which on the weekends isn't quite the problem that it is during the week. I have been to sleep doctors regular doctors had every manner of test done. The one phrase I saw I on a similar forum is "I am so tired of being tired". I am in my late 40's and am really hoping I won't have to live like this till I die.
|

replied July 11th, 2011
Sleep disorder
Even I am suffering fro this problem.I don't know what's wrong with my body.It's quite encouraging that I can see many people with same problem.Need help!
|

replied September 24th, 2011
one thing i found out that works really well ia a blanet that wicks away moisture from your body to cool you down so you dont over heat that mush and a fan to blow on just my face to make the gland at the back of the head that controls body temp think its cool to stop trying to cool the body down by sweating.
hot and comfey in ny
|

replied September 24th, 2011
one thing i found out that works really well ia a blanet that wicks away moisture from your body to cool you down so you dont over heat that mush and a fan to blow on just my face to make the gland at the back of the head that controls body temp think its cool to stop trying to cool the body down by sweating.
hot and comfey in ny
|