Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Mouth full of canker sores - Am I contagious ?

Must Read
Can you tell the difference between a canker sore and a cold sore. Start here for basic info about types of canker sores and their characteristics....
Canker sores a triggered by a number of medical conditions and reactions. Learn what triggers a cnaker sore and how you can avoid canker sores in the future....
Can you identify the main characteristics of a canker sore? Start here and learn when you should seek help for a canker sore that won't heal....
User Profile
I have a mouth full of canker sores and it seems like everything I do to try and get rid of them isn't working. It's actually getting worse. I woke up with 2 more this morning, which makes about 8 now. I have suffered with canker sores all of my life, but they usually don't last this long (over a week now). Could it be anything else, other then just cankers? Am I contagious?

Thank you

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 24th, 2007
General Q and A Answer A3232
Canker sores in the oral cavity indicate that you are probably experiencing some kind of mouth inflammation (stomatitis aftosa). Infection is one of the possible causes for stomatitis. But even if something else caused the inflammation, infection is often secondarily present because the oral cavity is not sterile but always full with microbes that can cause a secondary infection and worsen a primary condition. That’s why you can use some local antiseptic (1% iodine solution for example) to treat the symtpoms, no matter the cause. You can then consult a dentist about your condition.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Dental Health , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.