Medical Questions > Womens Health > Womens Conditions Forum

Bruise Easily And Even More During Period

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
i bruise easily. I have had all blood tests done, and everything came back normal But during my period i bruise alot more than usual.and i do not remember bumping myself. I have mentioned it too my GYN and she has told me it is nothing to worry about. But it is becoming very unsightly to say the least, I like to do yoga and go to gym. i usually wear tank tops and shorts to do this and i am starting to feel a bit insecure, I am sure some people a wondering where i get all the bruises from,. But i tell them how it is I JUST DO NOT KNOW, and the bruises are located everywhere except my face and kneck. Yes even on my back side and vagina
any other ladies have this problem and any suggestions.....
thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 17th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Some people really do just bruise easily. If you're really worried about it, I'd see a general practitioner to rule out anything weird.
|

replied December 7th, 2008
Treat the Bruises
Saw your post while looking for another subject. My wife bruise easily too (even when the wind blows!). anyhow I know I am not suppose to recommend specific products but I'll risk it here, do a search for BruiseMD. My wife has been using it for 3 months and loves it. Hope this helps.
|

User Profile
replied December 14th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Have you had blood tests done to confirm that you don't have iron deficient anemia? If you have this, when you are on your period, because you are losing blood, it causes you to bruise more easily and makes you feel fatigued. It is a simple blood test that counts the level of hemoglobin in the blood. It is called hematocrit. Generally for a woman, a normal hematocrit ranges from 38-46%. For example, if your hematocrit is 25%, that means that there are 25 milliliters of red blood cells in 100 milliliters of blood. If you are iron deficient, your hemoglobin will be less than normal. A simple fix for this is to take Ferrous Sulfate, the simple iron pill, found in most grocery stores. I take iron pills because that time of the month is so heavy, it causes my hematocrit to drop. This can happen in some women.
|

replied July 17th, 2010
I would go to a DIFFERENT doctor and make sure you really had ALL blood testing done. It sounds to me that you have a condition called Von Willebrand's Disease. It is not detected on standard blood testing and requires special tests. The signs and symptoms include increased frequency of bruising and bruising in odd locations on the body particulaarly before menstruation. Treatment for this condition is very simple. It sounds to me like it may have been overlooked!
|

replied February 20th, 2011
Thrombocytopenia
to proud army wife
it means that you bleed heavily during your menses because during menstruation clotting factors like platelets go to your endometrial lining to stop the bleeding. What happens is that you used so much clotting factors for your menses. Naturally, our blood vessels contain pores but we dont bleed because we have clotting factors like platelet but in conditions like menstruation where you used up so much platelet just to stop the bleeding of the endomentrium bruising may occur. The condition is known as thrombocytopenia or decreased platelet
|

replied December 25th, 2011
bruise on the knee
I also have little bruises on my knees before my menstrual period. I look at it as a sign. It will vanish as soon as the menstruation stops. I haven't went to a doctor yet because I find it normal. They say I'm anemic, or I don't exercise often. I'll still have to let it checked by a doctor.
|

replied April 29th, 2012
please help Sad
its been 2months in a row now that i noticed i have few bruises on my upper legs and looks bad. everytime i have my menstruations. Now i am worried having two girls in my life and Fiance.
thanks please i need advice..
|

replied April 9th, 2013
I know exactly wat u r going through because i've had this problem since i was 10 years old. Basically, i talked to an internal medicine md and after testing i was told it was a lack of vitamin k. Hope this helps
|