Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Getting Pregnant Forum

Progesterone Pills

Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
has anyone taken these and do they know how long they are suppose to delay your period for? I quit taking them the day before my period was suppose to come and now its 3 days late
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 30th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Why were you taking them if you don't mind me asking? were you taking them after ovulation, possibly for a low progesterone issue? Or were you taking them to 'jump start' your period after being late?

Either way, for the most part, it won't delay your period. If you are going to start, you can start while you are still taking the progesterone. If you are taking it to 'jump start' your body needs to have the 'withdrawl' effects so it is best to give it a week before you call your doctor (and you are testing negative).

Have you tested? If not I suggest you do that. The progesterone will not effect the results.
|

replied July 4th, 2012
Period 2 weeks late on progesterone supplement
My period is now 2 weeks late - after taking 12 days of progesterone from days 14-24 of my period...I have some mild acne - wondering now if I could be pregnant...
seems unlikely as I"m 51 - yet have had a regular 28-day cycle for the past 10 years...any other reason I could be 2 weeks late?
|

replied July 30th, 2007
Experienced User
I was taking them after ovulation to stop the spotting that occurs a week before my af and to help I guess boost the horomones that I lack. So Its now day 32 of my 28 day cycle with no signs of af. Which I thought was due to the pills, I wasnt clear on when to quit taking them, so I stopped on day 27. Now my boobs are so sore and I feel very sick but thought it could be the side effects of the meds bc on day 30 I had a bfn and with dr telling us we cant concieve naturally Im now ruling that out. When I talked to the dr he said it could be 2 days to two weeks till af comes so now im confused why you would give those to someone who is ttc bc now my cycle is off whack! I just want to cry uncontrollably in bed all alone life gets worse day by day it seems, and yet I never get accurate answers Crying or Very sad
|

replied September 11th, 2011
Post surgery for an ovary and cyst removal, I went off birth control pills. First two periods came on time and I was super happy with my life Smile until the next period was missed. The doc did an ultrasound, ruled out pregnancy, and told me that my AF is due, anytime soon. Still a week later, nothing came. So he put me on progesterone for 10 days and told me NOT to stop the dose even if AF arrived. You shouldn't discontinue a dose or your AF can abruptly stop in the middle of the flow period. Anyway, this month again I missed AF and have waited 2 weeks. Will talk to him tomorrow. In all possibility he would also check my progesterone levels and put me on supplements.

However he is very encouraging- he tells me each time that with one ovary also, I can make many eggs and get pregnant by the end of the year. That's how your doctor should be!!! Btw, he is the one who performed my surgery and with whom I consult.

A doc can tell you with surety that you cannot conceive naturally ONLY when all the options have been exhausted. From your explanation it does not seem that all the possibilities have closed down. It is insensitive for your doc to even say such a thing that can have only adverse mental and physical consequences for you. In any case I think that you should switch doctors if you feel confused or in need of more advice- clearly you're not getting it from them.
|

replied February 7th, 2012
So what does this progesterone pill actually do for you does it stop you from getting pregnant like a birth control pill or it helps you ovulate all this is so new to me im so cknfused somebody help me out please
|

replied February 16th, 2012
I wondered the same thing
Im not sure. but what i do know is im on the pills and after my first month of taking them, I has a very light period that only lasted two days. Im now on my second month of pills and very emotional, i wonder if i am prego. several hpt say negative
|

replied February 7th, 2012
So what does this progesterone pill actually do for you does it stop you from getting pregnant like a birth control pill or it helps you ovulate all this is so new to me im so cknfused somebody help me out please
|

replied June 4th, 2009
Prgesterone and TTC
I agree with what you are saying. I am taking 100 mg of these pills too- I was told to take 4 per day 2 in AM and 2 in the PM for 3 weeks following ovulation. I ovulate on day 18 and my cycle is always on day 28 -= now its day 31 and no sign of it- Tested with clearblue and NEGATIVE- so now I am off whack too-
|

replied June 10th, 2009
Progesterone
I'm about to go on Progesterone because my estrogen levels are exremely high. Apparently thats the only reason I havent been able to get pregnant. I really hope that this will my last month of trying for a while now. I've been trying for 9 months already Sad Has anyone gotten pregnant on their round of Progesterone??
|

replied August 12th, 2009
Trying to get pregnant with PCOS taking progesterone pills.
I am trying to get pregnant and was recently diagnosed with PCOS. I have one son who is 2 yrs old and he was a surprise I wasn't even trying to get pregnant. We decided to start trying agagin about 9 months ago then suddenly my periods just stopped. I have never missed one except when I was pregnant with my son. So the doctor ordered some tests and diagnosed me with PCOS. He put me on progesterone pills 12 days a month to help regulate my cycle and make me ovulate. He says if I'm not pregnant in 5 moths we will try something else. Has anyone got pregant on the pill and how long did it take. Please any info would be helpful. I am still trying come to terms with havingPCOS and that fact that i am going to have to calulate all the the dates when I tought that I was going to get pregnant easily like i did with son. Please anyone with any advice let me know I will be truly thankful!!
|

replied October 25th, 2012
missed period and no ovulation
I have been missing my cycle for several months now. I went to the doctor and it was determined that I am not ovulating at all. I have been trying to concieve my second child and it is much harder thn the first. I have been put on Progesterone for ten days. I am suposed to cound 30 days into my cycle and then test for pregnancy. If negative I should keep trying for 4 months. I am due back to see the doctor. If I am still not pregnant by then she is going to add clomid but she said often times women have twins or triplets on this type of medicine. All that I know is I want another baby and when the time is right it will happen. Its just fustrating and I feel helpless because its not my husbands issue, its my body that is messing up for us.
|

replied October 30th, 2012
PCOS and mini pill getting pregnant
Which 12 days? The first 12 days starting with your first day of your period? I am trying to figure this out, because I also have pcos, and got pregnant twice right after coming off of camila...I wanted to see which days to take it for me to ovulate again.
|

replied November 23rd, 2012
PCOS ttc mini pill
I am trying the same thing..which days of your cycle does he have you on the mini pill? like the 1st 12 days from the start date of your period?
|

User Profile
replied October 3rd, 2009
Hi there all,
I have been trying to get pregnant for about 2 years now but only started to see a fert. doc . 10 months ago .
He has me on progest.pills for 13 days cause my cycles are messed up .. is this pill suppose to make me come on another period ??? I am on day 9 of the pill and havent had my period start again .. anyone know about it ??
thanks
|

replied June 8th, 2011
Fertility
You shouldnt start a period until a few days after you stop taking the progesterone. I currently have a 7 year old son and have been trying for the last two years. I have only started progesterone tablets 1x3 times a day since last thursday so only three days left. Then as soon as af arrives I will start my first round of clomid. Good luck to all trying
|

replied September 11th, 2011
Yes, please be patient, my periods started only 4-5 days AFTER COMPLETING MY 10 DAY progesterone dose. Keep waiting, it has to come. Some people get their AF within 2 days of the dose, some a week after the dose. BUT PLEASE COMPLETE THE DOSE and DON'T stop abruptly.
|

replied January 31st, 2012
I had a very hard time getting pregnant with my first child. I tried everything. I started taking progesterone on my third day of ovulation for 10 days and I also had dye ran through my tubes and I got pregnant right after that...so I dont know if it was from the progesterone or the dye. My daughter is now 16 months old Smile I am now trying to get pregnant again and having the same problem...so I have been put back on progesterone. This is my 10th day of taking it. Im supposed to start my period today but it hasnt come...so I dont know if its because it delayed my period or not. Trying not to get my hopes up too soon.
|

replied February 6th, 2012
joannnaerr
Which tablet help qwik for start pregnant
|

replied February 23rd, 2012
hi....my problem is little different,need advice...pls help...my LMP-4th feb, after that i did regular u/s to see how the follicle is growing and releasing the egg,but unfortunatly my egg stopped at 19.6mm after trigger shop also didnt release so now my obgyn put me on progesterone 200mg two tablets per day for ten days. But the other follicle from other ovary is 13.4mm and may be release egg by next week....so now what will happen with my cycle...any idea
|

replied August 17th, 2012
10 day Progesterone course, pregnancy symptoms but all test neg
Hi, I was put on progesterone for 10 days after a positive ovulation test. I used to get my period every 14 days but I don't think I was ovulating that frequently. I kept taking the ovulation test while I was taking the progesterone. On the 10th day I had another positive ovulation result. I have not had my period in 4 weeks, and have symptoms of tender and heavy breast, frequent urination and nausea, but all my pregnancy test are negative. Is this normal? Could I still be pregnant?
|

replied August 30th, 2012
Hey I'm taking progesterone 200 mg capsule at bedtime and I'm wondering can anybody tell me wat it does exactly?
|