Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vision and Eye Disorders Forum

Marijuana & Eye Sight

Must Read
What is pink eye and how long is pink eye contagious? Basic facts on types of conjunctivitis and pink eye here....
Pink eye can be allergic, infectious or chemical. Details about what causes pink eye here....
What to do for pink eye? Learn to identify symptoms of pink eye first, and know when to seek medical help. Start understanding more here....
In the last year I have occassionally smoked marijauna. Does this affect your eyesight. I have noticed a problem, and my eye doctor says I have some stigmatism in both eyes. I have had eye surgery to correct my vision, approximately one year ago. I could not ask him the question.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 29th, 2007
Community Volunteer
Hi Lena
Marijauna hasn't any long term effect the eyesight ! Not unless you get totally off your head on it, then you're vision will get blurry, for a couple of hours or so .. Cool it's effect of the weed itself..
If this really bothers you, you should be able to ask your doctor ANYTHING - it's a code of practice that your questions and health matters 'stay confidential' .. they also should not judge your actions, however, he may give you advise on the harmful things drugs (no matter how low-cat they are) .. Pot isn't the harmful thing in a joint - it's the nicotine (and other substances) in the tobacco that is ...
And long term regular use, which is being discussed at the moment, is being proved to cause, memory loss.
Advise to anyone taking pot or drugs, if in doubt - leave it out .. don't do it... Wink
Ginger
|

replied November 5th, 2012
n
there is no tobacco in a joint. you are thinking of a blunt. and it has only been proven to cause acute memory loss for the time that you are high.
|

replied July 29th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Why couldn't you ask him? You can't be arrested because you smoked in the past, only for active possession. Secondly, your astigmatism is mostly likely due to the eye surgery.
|

User Profile
replied July 30th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Yeah, you can't get in trouble by telling a doc. The only time they can do anything about it is if you are in immediate danger.

I've never heard about an effect on eyesight. Probably due to other things.
|

User Profile
replied July 30th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
The only correlation between mj and eyesight that I know of is that MJ can be used medically to help slow the progression of glaucoma.
|

replied July 30th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
sillyakchick wrote:
The only correlation between mj and eyesight that I know of is that MJ can be used medically to help slow the progression of glaucoma.

Ooo, spiffy.
|

User Profile
replied July 31st, 2007
Community Volunteer
Eiri wrote:
sillyakchick wrote:

Ooo, spiffy.

No - Oh Spliffy... he he he ... Laughing
|

replied September 6th, 2007
Glaucoma Not Helped By This
[quote="The Ginger 1"]
Eiri wrote:
sillyakchick wrote:

Ooo, spiffy.

Sorry to ruin the party... but marujuana is not helpful in glaucoma treatment (likely would be harmful in long term), and there is no evidence (eg randomised trial) to date that shows it slows the progression of glaucoma - sadly for some. There are plenty of effective treatments for glaucoma though...

Peter
|

replied January 14th, 2010
re: medical marijuana
The US Government Accountability Office (GAO) noted the following symptoms or conditions under Appendix IV of their Nov. 2002 report titled "Descriptions of Allowable Conditions under State Medical Marijuana Laws":

The U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) noted the following symptoms or conditions under Appendix IV of their November 2002 report titled "Descriptions of Allowable Conditions under State Medical Marijuana Laws":

1. Alzheimer's Disease
2. Anorexia
3. AIDS
4. Arthritis
5. Cachexia
6. Cancer
7. Crohn's Disease
8. Epilepsy
9. Glaucoma
10. HIV
11. Migraine
12. Multiple Sclerosis
13. Nausea
14. Pain
15. Spasticity
16. Wasting Syndrome"

Further,

Lester Grinspoon, MD, Emeritus Professor of Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School, wrote in a Mar. 1, 2007 editorial in the Boston Globe titled "Marijuana as Wonder Drug":

"The mountain of accumulated anecdotal evidence that pointed the way to the present [marijuana as treatment for HIV neuropathic pain] and other clinical studies also strongly suggests there are a number of other devastating disorders and symptoms for which marijuana has been used for centuries; they deserve the same kind of careful, methodologically sound research.

While few such studies have so far been completed, all have lent weight to what medicine already knew but had largely forgotten or ignored: Marijuana is effective at relieving nausea and vomiting, spasticity, appetite loss, certain types of pain, and other debilitating symptoms. And it is extraordinarily safe -- safer than most medicines prescribed every day. If marijuana were a new discovery rather than a well-known substance carrying cultural and political baggage, it would be hailed as a wonder drug."
|

replied October 16th, 2012
Eye Pain After PRK
just had PRK done; day 1-2 were tolerable; but on days 2-3 nothing was helping the severe burning and tearing (like endlessly chopping onions!) and sudden stabbing pains. 10mg Norco was not helping anymore. I then Switched from ice packs to heat packs (much better), but then I began taking just 2-3 drops of a very strong med. M tincture. Guess what... NO MORE severe PAIN! just *very* minor discomfort remaining.
|