Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Overthinking and Overanalyzing (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
question: for the past couple months i have had trouble with overthinking/overanalyzing every simple aspect of life. i overthink my emotions and why i feel the way i do. i also overthink my reading/listening ability's. when i do this i completely fall apart, i begin to loose my ability to read, listen, or feel my emotions properly! it is exremely uncanny, and i do not know what to do. when all this happens i feel overwelmed with numerouse emotions such as: anxiety, anger, depression, frustration, cofussion, etc. i am a christian and i have tried prayer,that does not help:( i believe it is time for medication. but what kind of disorder is this?? what is happening to me?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper protege
|

replied July 28th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
you dont need drugs to make you normal
i think your just stressed

has something traumatic happened to you recently that could have caused this?
|

replied July 28th, 2007
Overthinking
It all just randomly began a couple months ago.
|

replied July 28th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
hmmm

so you almost...think too deeply about life and everything revolved around it?

well your brain is very powerful and can make you think or do anything
youve gotta block it out
when that happens say "stop it!"

or maybe if you went to a doctor they could help you find a way to get these deep feelings off your mind without meds or maybe even with an herbal supplement
|

replied July 28th, 2007
Could a repetitive thought or action help break this cycle?
|

replied July 29th, 2007
if you give yourself a reason to believe a certain thought that contradicts your overthinking, i think that it could. it's all a matter of encouraging yourself and setting up an atmosphere that encourages that good thought. if you question your reading, maybe don't read until you feel more comfortable about it. you could try writing a list "i shouldn't overanalyze because...." and pick one or two to say to yourself when you do start overthinking. then keep yourself busy with something fun. sometimes when you overthink, you might think "nothing's pleasant and i'll overquestion it" but if you give it a few tries and some time it's really not that true, though you'll still probably be an analytical person.
|

replied August 11th, 2007
Download

Rakim - Whats Goin on

Helps me refuse to buy weed some days...

And im really not the type to be influenced by non sonical anaphones in music, to be analytic Embarassed

The way I stop myself over thinking and analysing is giving my mind too much too handle...probably the equivalent of crossing wires or something.

Listen to Amon Tobin....or other "sourceful" and visually notated kinds of music to suit your mood. Really makes me wanna shut the eff up and appriciate talent.....for around 5 mins

after that I usually just think in my mind and pay no attention.....probably gonna do some harm.

Just try and make some of it witty so you have some material to use for the future.

I dunno man...
|

User Profile
replied August 13th, 2007
Try not to think your 'over-thinking' is a disadvantage. You can make it work to your own advantage aswell. Your obviously very itelligent/imaginative like alot of anxiety/depression sufferers, but I think you should try every other route before medication... as that can make alot of users feel kind of unemotional/vague/numb... which is worse in my oppinion and might upset you more. It also comes with physical symptoms in the beginning and through withdrawl.

Try looking up meditation techniques or breathing techniques. Exercise and an improved diet can also help no end. And my personal favourite is yoga Smile

Hope you feel better soon

xxx
|

replied February 7th, 2008
cant do anything about it man, your mind is just to powerful, simply embrace that you can get down to the truth of everything, and when you remember that life is short and the end will come one day no matter what, youll learn that all that over analyzing simply doesnt matter, and life is good.

at least this what i tell myself
|

replied March 20th, 2009
Meto,
Honestly i have this but this can be do to an addiction, or adhd i was diagnosed with adhd and i got these pills "adderal" Somewhat worked but didn't always my addiction was a game yet im ashamed but its not so uncommon i suggest you try your best to quit whatever your addicted to , smoking , games anything. and go to the doctor if its really bad.
|

replied November 30th, 2009
This over thinking is called ANXIETY and there isn't a whole lot to do about it but go to the doctor and they will help you find ways to relax your brain... I have anxiety and depression and I take medications for it and go to the doctor and every day is better then the last... I still over think when at times like when I'm really stressed but it gets better over time and a big thing to stay away from when you have a problem with anxiety is SMOKING, DRINKING, and CAFFEINE these are the Enemies of anxiety and will make your over thinking much worse.
|

replied December 28th, 2009
Over thinking and thoughts constantly echoing in your mind are a product of anxiety. Meditation and yoga can be helpful if you want to stay away from meds. These activities can encourage you to focus on breathing and being more aware of where your mind is and more importantly being in the present moment more often. Therapy can help too.
|

replied February 9th, 2010
a son of a son
i know exactully how it feels,ive had it for a yr now it stops me from sleeping all the time, i think of anything and everything.for example if i saw white a cup, my mind thinks of other things that are also that colour then that leads to more excessive irrelevant thinking about things. one thort leads to another which leads to another then another, ive tried EVERYTHING to stop it, the best thing i found unfortunatly is illegal. but even tht only works to a certain extent. my doctor also says its due to stress, but ive never been stressed in my life, hell if anything im the complete opposite.
|

replied February 10th, 2010
Alex0003333,

You need to keep in mind they are just thoughts. They dont reprepresent the truth or reality. If you make meditation a part of your daily routine it can train you to recognize this. You shouldn't hammer yourself if your mind strays/over thinks things or judge yourself for it either. Stress, tension, anxiety are all basically the same thing. Meditation/yoga can help calm and slow your mind down and it will eventually spill over into your daily life. ITS NOT EASY THOUGH.
Check out some books/audio cd's by Jon Kabot-Zinn they are very relevant & have helped me considerably.
|

replied March 18th, 2010
do you know the Jesus prayer? look it up. also, if you have time, read the way of the pilgrim! this prayer will change your life.
|

replied October 11th, 2010
I'm an overthinker as well, I overanalyse the pressures of university and growing up and growing old, and I wish for a return for simpler days. I read all of what you people are saying but I can't get it to stick fully. How can you when theres so much else demanding your time and attention?
|

replied February 3rd, 2011
Over Analyzing
Blocking it out is probably the worst thing you could do as you will find it builds up then overwhelms you and you are left not being able to sleep, anxious and eventually depressed.

I deal with it by acknologing the thoughts and writing them down or talking to a close friend, family member or Doctor that way you are gathering these thoughts and then releaing them safetly.

Exercise or activities are a good way of keeping your mind intuned with your body and I believe with a lil patience it should slow down maybe not stop but slow down enough to be able to think one thing at a time.
|

replied February 4th, 2011
Over thinking
I suffer from the same thing too! I overthink and over analyse and then the thought becomes a dominant thought and it makes me anxious. I found this really interesting article that really helps!
|

replied February 25th, 2011
I've had this problem for years.. doctors ended up putting me on 5 different anti-depressants in which made it worse. You got to come to terms that everything happens for a reason and in most cases you can't stop it from whatever happening the way it does so why worry. I learned that once I start having weird emotions I have to sit there and think about positive things. Think about the things that make you happy, the goals you have in life, and think about what you want to do the next day. Life is beautiful.. Don't let the negatives drown it out!
|

replied February 25th, 2011
A book that I read really helped called 'the power of now' it teaches you how to disengage from your mind by being aware of present moment awareness. Things like cycling and walking still your mind!

Everyone over analyses :< (or thinks thoughts that they dont want to think - look up OCD - 'PURE O') sometimes and it causes depression.

Hope this helps! Smile Smile Smile
|
12 >>