Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

How soon after unprotected sex should I have a health screen

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
I had unprotected sex last night, he did not ejaculate, and I also performed oral sex. I am worried I may have any STDs as I am married and do not want to pass this onto my husband. I do feel deep guilt and shame, I am not impressed with how I behaved and have been faithful for 10 years. The man I had sex with was an old boyfriend, no excuse I know. He himself has just come out of a long term relationship and I 'presume' he is clean however you never know. Should I have a sexualy health screen where they test for varius things, and how soon should I have it. Obviously I think ASAP but should I wait a few days or can tests show up things pretty soon after the event?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 17th, 2007
Sexual Health - Women Answer A3197
Every infective disease including STDs need some time to develop after the period of possible infection. That is called the "time of incubation". So, if you take medical tests for STDs right after the risky sexual behavior, the results will be probably negative. Even if the results are positive, it's possible that some previous sexual encounter was the experience where you've contracted the infection. An incubation period can vary depending upon the infective agent and the patient. Here are the values of the incubation period for some STDs:
1. Genital herpes - 2 to 7 days;
2. Genital warts – about 3 months;
3. Trichomonas vaginalis – 4 days to 3 weeks;
4. Syphilis – 10 to 90 days;
5. HIV/AIDS – 2 to 8 weeks but asymptomatic period can reach even 5 years;
6. Gonorrhea – 3 to 10 days;
7. Chlamydia – 7 to 14 days.
If you are sure that your sexual partner has an STD, you can visit your gynecologist as soon as possible. If not you, can wait at least a week.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sexual Health - Women , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.