Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Lexapro (Page 1)

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
I have just started taking lexapro for my depression...Its been about 2 weeks and I havent noticed anything yet...But I have been feeling crumy (physically) latley...I was taking it in the morning before school but it seemed 2 be making me drowsy and starting tonight I am taking it before bed...I was just wonderinig if anyone has any experience with lexapro cuz im just agrivated cuz there is no change it isnt helping!....So any help good be great! Thanx!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 13th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Pharmaceutical companies make a mint out of getting drs to give everyone meds - that is meds made by pharmaceutical companies - meds which make you tired, have side effects etc etc.

How about researching on-line whether there might be a) other reasons for your symptoms - aside from the diagnosis made by your dr
& b) whether there are any natural alternatives for treatment of your problem???? Natural alternatives are less likely to have short or long term side effects & more likely to work - they just don't make $$ for the pharmaceutical giants!!

Try looking into 5htp, sam-e, dhea, vitamin b's for a start.
|

replied March 17th, 2004
I Used It...
I've been on remeron, celexa, and celexa's branch-off--lexapro.

I didn't seem to notice much either while I was on it, but I did get tired for the first month I was on it. I also got severe headaches and nausea the first week I was on it. After that, I was okay. But recently, I got off of meds b/c i'm trying to battle depression myself (may be bad, but worth a try). I've been doing good for almost a year. Wink

good luck with lexapro!
|

replied March 17th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
I was on lexapro and noticed no difference at all. After od'ing on it in the hospital they put me on effexor and risperdal. I like these much better. But when I got pregnant I stopped taking both right away and I have never been better. My advice is screw the meds, find something worth living for. That's your cure. Hope this helps.
|

replied March 17th, 2004
Experienced User
I am on lexapro and I gained about 15 pounds on it and my sex drive fell to the floor. The good news is i'm in the ninth week of my 12-week cbt group and I am already weaning off the lexapro and feel great. The two books we are using in my group are really really good and I would recommend them both highly: been there, done that? Do this! By sam obitz and mastery of your anxiety and panic-third edition by michelle craske and david barlow if you suffer panic disorder as well.
|

replied March 31st, 2004
Lexapro
Hi everyone, I am new here (as of today) and am really finding this helpful. It is nice to know I am not the only one out there with depression that just doesn't seem to go away...Everyday is a struggle.. I too have been on the lexapro, but didn't think it was helping me so my doctor put my back on prozac. 2 a day... I don't think that's doing too much either..I just can't seem to get out of this slump..I really don't have anyone to talk to about it...My folks are great, but mom just doesn't understand.. So I don't say too much to her....Anyone who would like to talk, I certainly would appreciate it.Good luck to everyone and thanks for listening! :d
|

replied April 1st, 2004
Experienced User
Re: Lexapro
janna78 wrote:
hi everyone, I am new here (as of today) and am really finding this helpful. It is nice to know I am not the only one out there with depression that just doesn't seem to go away...Everyday is a struggle.. I too have been on the lexapro, but didn't think it was helping me so my doctor put my back on prozac. 2 a day... I don't think that's doing too much either..I just can't seem to get out of this slump..I really don't have anyone to talk to about it...My folks are great, but mom just doesn't understand.. So I don't say too much to her....Anyone who would like to talk, I certainly would appreciate it..My Good luck to everyone and thanks for listening! :d

hey janna and welcome :d
the answer for me was cognitive behavioral therapy (cbt). I was on meds for many years before I found cbt and it cured me and got me off meds in a remarkably short period of time. Best of all once you learn the tools in cbt you have them forever so you are able to give yourself relief almost instantly whenever you are feeling stressed, anxious or down. It's all about using the tools to learn to think more clearly and accurately about things and once you do your anxiety, panic and depression will miraculously begin to lift before your eyes. My favorite starter book on cbt is "been there, done that? Do this! By sam obitz like anything in life the more you put in the more you get out of cbt.

I hope this is helpful to you :p

q
|

replied April 16th, 2004
Hi I am new here and I would just like to tell you about my experiences with lexapro. My doctor actually put me on ritilan because of how tired the lexapro made me but, after about 6 months of me still being tired he finally switched me to zoloft. So, maybe ask your Dr. About putting you on something different.
|

replied June 26th, 2004
Lexapro
I'v also been taking lexapro for a while. It doesn't seem to be doing very much for me. I'v been in a depressive state for about 7 months straight now and was just recently diagnosed with depression aout 4 months ago which is when I started the medication. I have trouble taking the med cuz if I take it in the morning I end up falling asleep at work which is not good and if I take it at night I end up waking up and not being able to go back to sleep. Which is actully why i'm up right now at 3:30am. I got up at 2 and can't go back to sleep to save my life even though I feel tired. And I have to work tomarrow. I was wondering if anyone else taking lexapro was having these problems? And i'v also gained about 15 lbs since taking this med.
|

replied June 26th, 2004
Lexapro
Lexapro does not seem to be working for me. The best for depression is to be around people who care for you and love you. Depressed people should aviod situations or relationships that are unhealthy as it can trigger off depression and no drug can cure you. Take this advise from me as ive been depressed for many years and have been on and off anti-depressants that did nothing but change my true self a caring and loving person. I have become very bitter and !**@! person. Also depression runs in my family from my fathers side but they have all been cured. Please people avoid unhealthy scenes and bad hurtfull relationships. No one can hep me except myself as I put on an act infront of others so they see that im weak but inside its killing me and I cry myself to sleep and that is 6 weeks of taking !**@! lexapro. Lexapro is a rip off money makng evil company trying to take us for a ride that takes you round and round a vicious ciycle.
|

replied June 26th, 2004
Lexapro Is !**@!
Hi again, I just made heaps of spelling errors. To be honest with you guys I actually feel good that im not the only one lonely and depressed.Doctors have it so easy. You walk into their room sit down they ask you "what can I do for you today"- without even looking up at you. You say "im depressed and I think I need a script" they look up at you and they say " I will put you on medication and I will see how you go" and then they say "come back in 1 month" and ofcourse you cannot be bothered going back. And only go back when u run out of medication. Lexapro doesnt work for anyone everyone is complaining and I hope the company see's this and knows their product is !**@!, it probably made out of !**@!"
|

replied July 10th, 2004
I took my first dose of lexapro today (actually half a tablet) and it kicked my ass...I will not take it anymore and probably revert back to prozac. Very bad headache, drugged up feeling and frustrating/unfinished sex with my girl friend. I have taken many antidepressants over the years but this one seems particularly potent. I usually get some of these side effects with prozac but not as severe or as quickly. Kind of felt like trazodone. Perhaps this is a good thing and indicates how quickly it starts targeting those neurons etc.
|

replied July 20th, 2004
Experienced User
I just started lexapro last week and am already starting to notice an improvement in my mood. I have noticed some daytime drowsiness but I am also on the duragesic 25 mg patch and skelaxin for my back pain. I haven't had any trouble sleeping at all. :d I just hope I don't start gaining weight. Rolling Eyes
|

replied July 21st, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Have any of you looked into either a ces machine or a sound & light machine?? Check out alpha-stim.Com & dynamind.Com.

The ces has made an enormous difference to my depression (it took only a week or so) & is also helping me sleep. I have only just bought my own (borrowed one from a great dr) & will soon start to use a sound & light machine as well which should further help my depression etc. Although even if it doesn't work for me the ces machine is a gift from the gods, I no longer sit & think about suicide every day.Plus - no nasty side effects & after the intitial cost approx $us200, there's only the 9v battery to pay for.
|

replied July 29th, 2004
Experienced User
I've been taking my lexapro for 2 weeks now and the tiredness feeling has gone away. I am actually in a good mood again and my sense of humor is coming back! Yay Cool
|

replied August 24th, 2004
I am currently on lexapro for the depression part of my bipolar disorder. I think it is a wonderful drug. I have been thru 5 different kinds of antidepressants and this one is the best. Give it time. It can take a while for it to get thru your system. If it is making you drowsy you need tell your doctor. It should not be.
|

replied August 25th, 2004
Lexapro helps to restore the brain's chemical balance by increasing the available supply of serotonin, a substance in the brain believed to influence mood.

Antidepressant lexapro significantly improved depression and anxiety for many patients beginning at week 1 or 2 (full antidepressant effect may take 4 to 6 weeks).

tina
|

replied September 10th, 2004
Finally Off Lexapro
Hi everyone,
just thought i'd add my comment about lexapro. Well let me start by saying that I was put on lexapro becuase of my excessive fear. My doctor put my on 10 mg. I was on it for 3 months. To me it worked wonderful! I loved it. Then I noticed the weight gain. It was not really a weight gain but a puff feeling. I have gastric bypass two years ago and I knew that I would not be gaining weight from over eating, so I figured out that it was from the medicine. So I finally stoped it a week ago. I am noticing that my fear is coming back, but I am tryign to over come this withough meds. Also, and this is a big one, I have been trying to get pregnant for the last 3 months with no success. I have read that lexapro can can difficulty getting pregnant. Wish I would of known that earlier. If anyone ever wants to talk please email me. I am always looking for a new friend. Thanks for your time. Ginger
|

replied September 10th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Want Zero Side Effects ???>>>
If you have a mental health problem & want zero side effects including zero problems re weight gain/loss or falling pregnant for heaven sake at least look into ces &/or sound & light machines or is the idea of javing to use a machine once a day (in front of tv or while on the computer or when reading etc) instead of popping a pill every day or twice a day for the rest of your life too hard to consider??
|

replied September 11th, 2004
Hi,
what is ces or light/sound machines? How do they work? Please let me know. I am willing to try new things. Thanks ginger
|
12 >>
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Harpreet Singh
User Profile
Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD
User Profile
Anand J. Singh
User Profile