Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Biting My Lip

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
Has anyone had this problem? About a week ago, I bit the inside of my bottom lip. It hurts! Since then I've been biting it nearly every day, not on purpose of course! It just happens while I'm chewing. I've been trying to chew slower and with more precision, keeping my mind on what I'm doing, but that is so difficult especially when eating out with friends. I forget and then bang I've bit my lip again. One of my bottom teeth is kind of jagged and two of them tend to protrude out. I'm wondering if they are protruding just a smidgen more lately and that thats why this is happening. They don't look any different to me. But something is causing this and I don't know what to do.
Can anyone help. What can I do? Thank you!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 29th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Hey
the only way to fix this would be to have braces. i think

hey is your name dyan? ive never run into anyone that spelled it that way
|

replied July 31st, 2007
Dyanne,

I had exactly the same problem you describe and was VERY worried about it. It finally resolved itself---and I didn't need braces. Here's most of what I wrote, on this forum, December 19, 2005:
I bit my lip while eating a sandwich a week ago. Since then, i've been biting it, accidently, almost always while chewing, almost everyday, if not every day. I've had successive involuntary lip biting episodes in the past, but none that seemed to last quite this long.

I've been trying to chew much more slowly and carefully, but I can almost never manage to go without chomping down on it during a meal once or twice. It's usually sort of a sudden, spasmodic bite, while i'm trying to move food around in my mouth, usually after taking too big a bite, which I have a habit of doing. This worries me. I've heard cheek biting might cause cancer. Can lip biting too?

I have moderate to advanced periodontitis, and I suspect a bite problem (malocclusion?) so I fear this may be the cause. I've been slightly, now and then, snagging the inside lip with my front teeth, but could this be due to swelling from the intermittent biting?
James/Idiopathic12
|
Quick Reply