Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Arthritis Forum

What happens when the knees lock ?

Must Read
Arthritis is the most common cause of disability in the United States. Learn more about types of arthritis here....
Do you feel pain and stiffness in your body or have trouble moving around? You might have arthritis. Learn more about arthritis signs and symptoms here....
Signs and symptoms of rheumatic diseases are common to many different diseases. Diagnose arthritis correctly using these step-by-step diagnosis instructions....
User Profile
Having been in marching bands for nearly half of my life, I would like to know exactly why it is that we don't lock our knees while standing at attention. I've seen people get nauseous, see spots, and even pass out from locking their knees and I was wondering, anatomically, why this occurs. If it is because of cutting off circulation, which specific vein/artery is being pinched?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 17th, 2007
Arthritis Answer A3190
The knee joints can lock if something get stuck between the 2 joint surfaces. The joint’s surfaces are normally very smooth and allow joint movements. They are covered with synovial cartilage. Various conditions (inflammations, degenerative processes and traumas) can damage the cartilage and make joint movements painful, restricted or even completely impossible. In the case of joint inflammation (arthritis) cartilage becomes damaged by inflammation. Then, the chronic inflammatory process creates connective tissue that makes “bridges” between the two surfaces and disables the movements.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Arthritis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.