Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Bipolar And Birth Control

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
I am having a very hard time finding information pertaining to how various types of birth control effect women with bipolar. I am supposed to have an IUD put in next week which I thought would be great until this week where I am having a great deal of anxiety about it. I am concerned about using hormonal methods as I don't want to send myself into any sort of mood issue. I know the ring and patch do not work for me, they send me into a mixed state with racing thoughts. I would like to read what methods are best for women in their 30's, who have bipolar and want to have another child in the future. I am especially interested in YAZ, as it seems to help with the severe symptoms I get 10 days before my period. I really would appreciate any assistance.

Thank you Smile
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 7th, 2007
Hey, I actually had my tubes tied when I was 20, thinking A) I could keep being an idiot and not worry about pregnancy, and B) I wouldn't pass on any of the family's mental illnesses and cause my kids to suffer.

As luck would have it, five years later my period started going haywire, so I was put on the pill, the lowest dose. Back when I was younger, I HATED the pill, because it made me such an emotional wreck. I also gave Depoprovera a shot, and what a mistake. 15 minutes after I'd leave the GYN's office, I'd be crying hysterically and raising hell in supermarkets. It was awful. Being told that I needed the pill again was a nasty solution, I was thinking.

However, the body regulated itself, my boobs got bigger, hooray hooray, but then my dog died... and a few months later my cat went missing, and after six days the neighbor's dog found him dead in a drainage tunnel across the street, at only 9 years old. I was a WRECK!!!!! Holy crap, I was just a crying mess, so I went to see my psychiatrist and he insisted I needed an anti-depressant, so he put me on Cymbalta. For two weeks I thought I had found a miracle. And now, months later, I have about 4 more days and it'll be completely out of my system and I can try to figure out what is making my life so bad, so nauseous and lethargic and unable to work... Was it Cymbalta? Is my lithium too low? (900 mg, minimum is 0.5 and I'm at 0.6) Could birth control be losing its effectiveness? My libido is gone, I can't work, and the worst part is sometimes I get very close to cheating even though I don't even want to have sex. I have been forcing myself to stay at home because I DON'T TRUST MYSELF.

So, in answer to your problem, I have no idea, can you help me?? lol I'm sorry. I guess the point is, unless you get some crazy blood workup of all your hormone levels, it would be hard to say what any of the options would do to you.

Good luck, and God speed
|

User Profile
replied July 12th, 2011
To Supastar
Have you had your thyroid checked recently supastar?
|

replied December 22nd, 2007
Cymbalta And Birth Control
Birth control pills can make you feel like you are going a little crazy but I think it was the cymbalta that is making you feel so bad. I was just prescribed cymbalta two days ago and after hearing all of the sideaffects and taking it for only one day, my doctor prescibed me to something else. It made me feel awful! I was very sick all day today because of it. Cymbalta is known to make you tired all the time, have no sex drive, gain/lose weight, feel nauseous and it even gives you headaches. Im not saying that this particular drug is awful, it just wasn't the right one for me. I hope you feel better after getting it all out of your system. What was it like getting off of it? Did you have any withdrawals? I was very afraid of it even before I started taking it.
Thank you.
|

replied March 24th, 2009
found this on google
Are there any specific birth control pills that are recommended for women with bipolar disorder? I have tried Ortho-tricyclen�® and Tri-Levelen�®. With both of them, I have had depressions worse than before I ever started on Lithium. I could really use some help.
In general it is felt that the progestogen component of birth control pills has the most effect on aggravating depression. Estrogen has the opposite effect, it usually improves depression. The progestogen in Levlen�® is stronger than the progestogen in Tricyclen�® milligram per milligram. I would expect Levlen�® to be slightly more depressive than Tricyclen�® but there is a confounding factor. Both have varying doses of the hormones throughout the cycle. The could conceivably worsen a cyclic process like manic-depression. I would think it would be better to be on a mono phasic pill that had a low progestogen potency such as Orthocyclen�®, Norinyl 1/35 �®or Desogen 1/35�®. It's possible, however, that any combination could worsen the symptoms. Basically this solution involves trying different pills and giving each one about 2-3 mos before drawing a conclusion. There is almost no scientific investigation in this area, i.e. effect of OCPS on manic-depression that I know of.
|

replied September 4th, 2009
I'm 25 and have bipolar diorder. I have tried EVERYTHING!! and nothing seems compatible with my system. I am so sensitive to everything! Usually I end up extremely depressed and just sleep my life away. I have tried all different brands of pills, the ring, the patch, depo shot, Iud, etc. ...all short of getting my tubes tied because my doc says she wont do it..however I think you should look into the following because they seemed to work well for me and hopefully they will do the same for you....

there is the non-hormonal paraguard iud....very good for women with bipolar because you have no hormones competing with your body...the only downfall is if you have had no children, horrible cramps/heavier & longer period. But weighing my options, I would rather deal with cramping once a month than be a complete wreck all the time. plus its good for 10 years.

also the pill, MICROGESTIN 1/30 is a low dose bc pill. I am very sensitive to hormones and this pill worked great for me with no side effects except nausea on occation. I have used both of these options and i would recommend them both. hope this helps you guys out.
|

replied January 27th, 2010
Paragard
If you want a reversible form of birth control that won't affect you one way or another, look into an IUD called Paragard. It does not use hormones, so it should not interfere with your mood at all. Of course, that will do nothing to help with the PMS, but at least it won't aggravate the problem. It tends to cause heavy periods at first, but those usually go away for most women.

Other than that, I don't know, but I have heard some bad things about Yaz. Make sure to research it carefully.
|

replied January 28th, 2010
Experienced User
Supastar-it sounds like you are concerned about impulsive behaviors which is a symptom of mania yet expressing some signs of depression. I'm not diagnosing you but I'll share a bit about me. I'm diagnosed Bipolar 1 rapid cycler w/ mixed states(symptoms of mania and depression at the same time). I cannot take antidepressants as they make me manic. I don't know what's causing yours but I have had some of your symptoms and also lost it when I had to put both of my cats to sleep 3 wks apart unexpectedly. PM if you would like. All my best.
|

User Profile
replied January 31st, 2010
I refused to take the pill for 20 yrs for one reason only...the 5-10 lb weight gain. Three kids later, I have been taking Loestrin Fe24 for 2 yrs (i am bipolar) and I LOVE it! No weight gain, period last for 1, maybe 2 days at the most. For the 1st couple of months you may experience some breakthrough bleeding but that def goes away! I highly recommend it.
|

replied February 10th, 2010
My doctor told me that i shoudnt take the pill..
So we just use condoms.
|

replied July 13th, 2010
Being on Epilum (Sodium Valporate), 41 and Catholic I am paranoid about pregnancy. Three of our four children were accidental (one a diaphram baby, one using condoms - no breakage, one after a broken condom when the morning after pill didn't work. I know an abortion would make me completely suicidal.

I bought my worrries to my pdoc and she said "Don't you think you should pay attention to the kids you already have?" What a complete cow.

My GP put me onto the NuvaRing and I was thrilled.

However ... my moods have been much less stable since then. I have been using it for three months and it makes me ANGRY for no reason. Rapid cycling.

Implanon had a similar effect.

This bipolar medication really really sucks for women of childbearing age as we are often sensitive to hormonal contraception.

My husband has taken pity on me and will have a vasectomy in two weeks, even though he fears he will rot in hell for it. What a great man.

Sorry, doesn't help those of you who haven't had your kids yet.

Thank God I had my four before I was diagnosed.
|

replied September 28th, 2011
Birth control and bipolar II
I am also having difficulties finding information pertaining to women on birth control who are diagnosed with bipolar 2. I can only talk to my experience. After my second child, I opted for an IUD. I tried it a few months, but I found that a manic phase would kick in 1-2 weeks prior to my period every time. This was surprising to me, but so consistent month to month that I asked to have it removed. I then switched to the pill, and after having discussed it with my doctor opted to use Seasonique. I like it in that I have a period only 4 times a year (yay!). It works for me for multiple reasons, not the least of which is: (1) the simple annoyance of having to deal with a period, and (2) the influences on my bipolar disorder are both lessened. I still notice a very slight manic and/or depressive phase sometime around the period itself, and have yet to determine the exact circumstance. Nonetheless, this works very well for me. One important caveat: my doctor said I must take the pill within an hour of the "correct" time, else use a backup method of birth control. This is just my experience-- Seasonique has worked well for me so far. Best wishes to you in your information gathering.
|

replied December 28th, 2012
My input may not be very helpful considering it is coming from a twenty year old but I figure maybe it could help a bit.
I have been on Depo on two separate occasions and both times it caused my bi-polar symptoms to swing out of whack faster and harder than before. This first time I tried it I was on Lithium this second time I was on seroquel and then trileptal. Both times my manic episodes increased in intensity and my depressive swings became more intense and seemed to last longer.
I recently spoke to my OBGYN about possible birth controls that could work well with my natural body chemistry as well as my medications and he told me that the IUD may be my best bet because instead of injecting my body with chemicals that affect my entire being, the IUD primarily focuses (and is implanted) in the affected area.
I guess the moral of my story is; depo is a huge mistake but the IUD sounds hopeful and less detrimental to my mood.
|

replied August 10th, 2013
Currently not taking meds for bipolar 2; was on lithium/sertraline(Zoloft) combo; started taking lo loestrin 11 days ago and have no stopped my period; feel bloated, getting migraines and dizzy spells; experiencing depression/anxiety but attributing them to being off Meds for almost a year(going back on them in a month; seeing a new psychiatrist). Overall I cannot recommend anything with estrogen; for me has too many side effects. I had the mirena iud which worked beautifully but I kept getting ovarian cysts & ruptures Sad so I had it removed. also lOst 20 PD without it the first 3 months after.
I am 23 years old. Diagnosed 2011, Rediagnosed 2013.
|

replied August 10th, 2013
Currently not taking meds for bipolar 2; was on lithium/sertraline(Zoloft) combo; started taking lo loestrin 11 days ago and have no stopped my period; feel bloated, getting migraines and dizzy spells; experiencing depression/anxiety but attributing them to being off Meds for almost a year(going back on them in a month; seeing a new psychiatrist). Overall I cannot recommend anything with estrogen; for me has too many side effects. I had the mirena iud which worked beautifully but I kept getting ovarian cysts & ruptures Sad so I had it removed. also lOst 20 PD without it the first 3 months after.
|