Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Abdominal Hernia In Women

I was diagnosed abdominal hernia 2 years ago, but have never treated it medically. I heard for strangulation that it complication of abdominal hernia, but I don’t know what it exactly means. I usually don’t experience harmful symptoms, only sometimes dull pain when lifting something heavy, but I usually avoid that situations. I also quitted smoking.
I’ve changed my nutritional habits, eat fibers and raw vegetables. I’m just interested to hear some other experiences and attitudes about hernia. Can it be harmful for some other parts of my body ? I'm 27 years old woman. Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 23rd, 2007
Re: Abdominal Hernia In Women
Hi, a strangulated hernia means that the protruding intestine gets trapped, which can cause an infection and you would need an emergency operation. If you never feel anything protruding, or if you can always push it back in then you dont have too much to worry about. If you at any point can't push it back in and you are in intense pain, the area gets red and very uncomfortable or any of these, go to a hospital IMMEDIATELY as it can be life threatening and you should not ignore it.

I have had five hernias all together now, I had two operated on, then had a femoral hernia which I managed to heal and since last summer I have another two inguinal hernias, one on each side. My hernias have always been quite large and protruding a lot. I have lived with hernias that weren't operated on for about 8 years alltogether now and never had a strangulated one, touch wood I never will!
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Also it sounds like you are not having too much trouble with it. From my experience I never felt any better after the operations then before, and if you can live well enough with your hernia then I would continue to do so and not have an operation and not have a doctor talk you into it either.
If you ever decide to have an operation out of whatever reason then try and find a surgeon who does a mesh repair with a mesh that dissolves after six weeks. Those are available now and are the best option in my opinion as the mesh often leads to complications and nerve pain afterwards. With the mesh that dissolves your own tissue replaces what was missing and once the mesh is dissolved you should be fine.

If you want to know more about how I treated my hernias and other peoples experiences you can read a bit more in this thread:

http://ehealthforum.com/health/topic43624. html

I live with my hernias fairly well, like you I know not to lift heavy things and my hernias tend to get better when I do strenghtening exercises and take supplements. They are described in the thread too.
Also try and imagine your tissue growing back together, I have found that visualising this helps a lot, just believing it can heal and will heal does a lot, and I have managed to heal the one hernia and so far it hasn't come back.
I hope this helps.
All the best, Lena
|

replied February 22nd, 2009
pregnancy and hernia.
can a woman who has abdominal hernia get pregnant?if she does are there any health implications?
|

replied June 2nd, 2009
hernia /pregnancy
yes someone with a hernia can get pregnat,i did. i was diagnosed with an abdominal hernia with my second child and 2 years later had my 3rd.she is absolutly fine ,the one thing is you will probably need a csection because its unwise to push!
|

replied June 4th, 2009
thank you very much for your reply and dedication to duty.
|

replied August 5th, 2009
hi i had key hole surgery i week ago when should i start to be able to walk out been moving round house but still in pain
|

replied February 9th, 2010
i hav a swelling in my genital area since i was 4 or 5.......m now 20 and swelling still remains..doctors suggested then wen i was a child tat i had hernia..and my parents opted not to have a surgery...... but the swelling doesnt hurt at all.....i would like to know wether it is hernia or nt....???......second.... as i will get married in a couple of years i would like to kno wether i will be able to be a mother....will i have natural pregnency..???
|

replied April 21st, 2013
Abdominal Hernia from lapiroscopic bowel cancer surgery
I have a large hernia from my belly button after a lapiroscopic bowel resection.
Gas moving in my bowel can easily be felt from the "outie" belly button.
When I lie flat it appears to disappear but getting out of bed can sometimes fell as if I am falling over.As the day progresses it becomes very hard and uncomfortable, feels as if I am ready to give birth. doctor recommends open surgery stitching together
all layers. Pros and cons please.
from all that I have now read,I am more than previously scared.
|