Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Foot Disorders Forum

Broken Ankle And Surgery Recovery (Page 1)

Must Read
We answer the questions: What is a wart? How do warts spread? What types of warts can you get? More basic facts on warts and plantar warts here....
What causes warts and in particular, plantar warts? And are adults or children more at risk of getting them. More on risks and causes here....
Do you know how to spot a wart? Learn the signs and symptoms of warts located on the feet, plus when you should seek medical help for a plantar wart....
Hello,
I broke my ankle and tore ligaments on September 11th, playing football though, not skateboarding, and I had surgery on the 16th. I had a plate placed over a bone connecting my leg with my ankle, and six screws were put in to hold the plate in place. The pain the day after surgery, after I got home, was agonizing, I really almost went back to the hospital to have it checked out later that night, because I thought surely that amount of pain couldn't be normal. But surprisingly the pain subsided quickly, and probably two days after that it stopped hurting and I stopped taking the vicodin (although that was fun while it lasted), and I haven't really had any pain since, aside from maybe some minor aches when I wake up. It's frustrating because, even though it's only been three weeks since the surgery, it feels like I should be able to walk on it, and I HATE having to sit around my apt. all day doing nothing. Sadly I'm NWB until the 24th of October when I go back. I have my fingers crossed that he's going to tell me what he told you, which is that I can start putting slight pressure on it and within a few weeks I'll be able to walk again, with the boot, of course. I'd love to hear similar cases like mine and hear whats going on.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Gaelic
|

replied March 23rd, 2008
Foot surgery and recovery
Hello Everyone,

I am huge fan of running, I have run four marathons so far and tons of half marathons. Right before my surgery I was running 80 miles per week. Un-beknowst to me, I was born with a deformed foot, two extra bones that werent supposed ot be there. I had surgery to remove them, but the doc also had to stick pins in my foot and re-position a lot of my tendons. Dang!, I didnt get Vicodin, I only got a few lousy Lortabs!! Like you, I absolutley HATE sitting around the house watching court shows all day. I got a walking boot 5 days ago. I am suppose to be walking with one crutch. I feel like I am losing my mind! My foot feels almost perfect, but my doc told me to wait another 3 weeks before even trying to walk on my foot without the boot. I have been walking around with no crutch, against doctors orders! If he found out, I sure I would get an earful! I weighed 115 lbs before surgery, now I am up to 128. Being 5'7, I guess its not a horrible weight to be at, but I am just going crazy! I dont want to do any damage to my foot, but I decided to go to the gym and workout on the elliptical machine and do some upper body weights.

Original poster, how have you been doing? Is your ankle and foot fully recovered? Does everything feel like it did before your accident? Are you back to playing football? My feet are very important to me, I feel like my life would be meaningless if I couldnt run anymore.
|

replied July 5th, 2008
more broken ankles
Hello, I am looking for some advice and support

I suffered a severe ankle break and dislocation in Mid April, damaging both the tibia and fibula. Due to swelling the open reduction and internal fixation was delayed for two weeks and i was placed in traction. I now have one plate and seven screws in there, and the cast came off three weeks ago

I realised there would be a hefty rehabiliation but I am finding my progress disapointing, and the mental side of it is almost too much for me. I was very active before the accident and cant see my way through to full recovery. I am doing all my exercises religiously but am not seeing an improvement. My doctor states I need more confidence, but I just dont trust that the ankle will hold, or that i wont experience the excruitiating pain that usually accompanies any activity.

I would appreciate any words of wisdom from fellow sufferers, as I certainly didnt realise how isolating this sort of break is
|

replied March 29th, 2012
Helpful advice
Oh my this is a late reply to a very old post but I have just experienced breaking my tibia and fibula plus crushing my joint ( also have a plate and
Some screws)! I'm so scared that my
Ankle won't work the same ever again and I'm terrified about putting weight on it ... It's only been 10 days since the accident but I was wondering if you could give me some helpful tips to get through it cause I just feel so low and depressed that this happened and really need some comfort words as to how dealt with it all . Hope you can get back to me!
|

replied March 29th, 2012
Helpful advice
Oh my this is a late reply to a very old post but I have just experienced breaking my tibia and fibula plus crushing my joint ( also have a plate and
Some screws)! I'm so scared that my
Ankle won't work the same ever again and I'm terrified about putting weight on it ... It's only been 10 days since the accident but I was wondering if you could give me some helpful tips to get through it cause I just feel so low and depressed that this happened and really need some comfort words as to how dealt with it all . Hope you can get back to me!
|

replied October 31st, 2012
Hang in there!
Hang in there! I had a similar brake and I hard a really hard time with the isolation. It sucks. Just hang in there....try to keep yourself busy with little personal projects. You WILL walk again I promise and you will be ok. I feel for you.
|

replied July 5th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Most of you are suffering from some major breaks and tendon/ligiment damage. Which all take a very long time to heal. I have learned through my experience that sports injuries can sometimes be very serious. Especially when tendon and ligiment damage is done. If you pull one of them or more, they can usually heal pretty well. But if you tear or rip one or more, it may need surgery and if not, takes much long to heal then a break does. When the ankle is effected it is the most hardest place as far a time wise goes for healing. Do everything your doctor tells you to do to a tee. This is very important that you follow through with his or her orders. This will help the healing process for you. If you are taking steroids, make sure you take them as perscribed, no more, no less. Recovery on these injuries healing is what you do to help it.
Follow your doctors orders, I can't stress how important that is.
|

replied August 5th, 2008
Hi, I had a Trimalleolar fracture of my left ankle with complete dislocation of my tibia and fibula last August, and additionally had a minor break of my tibia (right leg) at the same time. It took me 4 months before I was able to go back to work (being on my feet all day working in a hospital). In the beginning I thought I wasn't progressing enough and it was very frustrating and discouraging, but it does get better. I am almost at my year anniversary and am about to book my surgery for removal of my plate, pin and screws as the pin moved shortly after surgery and I have been in constant discomfort, and recently two of the screws appear to have moved. I still cannot run (not that I was a big runner before) but the time off was frustrating considering I was working 90-100 hours every week. Now I'm looking at another 4-6 weeks recovery once I have the hardware removed! I'm just hoping that once everything is out I'll eventually get back to my old self and I can stop being a predictor of rain (can anyone else sense in their leg when rain is coming?).
|

replied September 6th, 2008
Ankle surgery, recovery and depression?
Hello everyone,
I too broke and dislocated my ankle in a golf cart accident on August 15th!! I was at a golf tournament my husband's work was putting on for the UC Davis burn center. One of the fireman I was riding around with decided to make a 360 turn at mock speed and I was thrown out. (My husband said I should have tucked and rolled and I would have been fine.(Ha Ha!!) I was in the middle of a golf course, but at least I was surrounded by people (firemen, flight medic, and an RN. They constructed this pretty creative splint out of signs we had made for the event and t-shirts and what not. stretcher I have never broken anything and strangely enough had always been curious as to what it felt like. (sick, sick, sick). I was not nervous or worried about the surgery at all, but I was definately not prepared for the amount of PAIN that came afterwards. They kept me in recovery for 4 hours because they couldnt get the pain under control. I cant believe they gave only Tramadol to the person in one of the posts I read. The nurse told my husband that the first thing I said when I woke up from the anesthesia was that I had not just low tolerance for pain, but NO tolerance for it. I too was a runner but only about 20 miles a week, and I cried in the doctors office when he said that I could forget about running for a long time. Crying or Very sad ! To the marathon runner: how long did it take for you to start running again? I told the nurse that something was wrong because I should not be feeling this much pain and the B$%## told me "well the Doctors can go in and cut you open and see if they did something wrong." I later found out that my Orthopedist (who is awesome) was never even informed that I stayed in the hospital after surgery. He thought I went home. I could go on and on about the care I received at Doctors Medical center in Modesto Ca, but needless to say its been 17 days since my surgery and I cry almost every day!! I am miserable. I was in good shape before this and I cant believe how sore every muscle in my body is. Did anyone else expeirence the same thing, and I can not believe how much my calf muscle has already atropheid. thumbsdwn It is so nasty to look at. At1 how are you doing now? Does it get any easier?
|

replied September 9th, 2008
broken heel with plate and screws
WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE WITH THIS KIND OF OPERATION HAS GOTTEN AN INFECTION IN ANYWAY,WE ARE NOW AT THE POINT OF HAVING THE HARDWARE TAKEN OUT BECASUE OF THE ANTIBIOTIC NOT BEING ABLE TO CURE AN INFECTION ON THE PLATE,LONG STORY ABOUT HOW THE INFECTION GOT THERE,BUT AM OPEN TO HEAR OTHER STORIES
THANKS!
|

DREA742
i wanted to let you know i feel for you and the place you are in right now,my husband is a surfer who has been out of the water for 5 months now (due to alot of misjudgement by a bad dr) his muscle also got so small in is leg it looked like two dif. legs, now that he is up and walking,well his kind of half walk,the muscle and leg look much better and am sure yours will too especially if you were in good shape to begin with,is very hard not to be doing what makes you feel good and healthy and i cried for him all summer ,we would go down to the beach to watch the surfers and my heart would sink for him while he is going through all the problems he has encounted because of a drs mistake,hope you get to a better place soon!
|

mydd
Thanks for the reply!! Not that I would wish this upon anyone, but it helps to know that others are going through the same thing. I just was not ready for this. When it happened I thought okay, deal with it, get the surgery, and move on. WOW was I in for a rude awakening. I know exactly how your husband feels. Your life becomes something totally different and it is sooo hard. I wish my husband was as compassionate for me as you sound towards yours. Don't get me wrong, he is there for me physically but not mentally!! I think you are the same one that asked about the infection as well, but I did get an infection. However, I work in a hospital lab so I knew the signs and went in right away! So the infection never reached the surgery site. My feet particularly my toes were itching so bad I was constantly putting benadryl anti-itch cream on it. I should have known better, but I created the perfect environment for bacteria to grow. I scartched so much that I actually cut the skin and Wah Lah, infection. I have an awesome doctor and he prescribed 3 different antibiotics in which staph infections are usually susceptible too, one of them was likely to work. Not that we knew it was a staph, but more than likely. How is the infection and do you know what type it is? I swear I don't know if I could have handled having to go through all that again. I am sooo sorry!
|

drea742
gee didnt know you had an infection also,,he was on cubicin iv for 6 weeks which i had to learn how to do an iv! scared me to death to do but i did get the hang of it ,but he has been off of it for 3 weeks just about and now his ankle blew up and the wound care dr put him back on zyvox and am applying silver bandages to wound,its been a nightmare,just glad he is off crutches ,went to a cane but he gave that up too ,still cant fit into a reg sneaker so has to wear the orthopedic shoe on his one foot,all i pray for now is to get an appt. for the dr we heard of that specializes in this and he is able to help,cant go back to the dr we had, is where the problems began,see you said you work in a lab and knew the signs ,the dr saw my husbands foot blow up get red and swollen and still didnt believe he needed antibiotic! Sorry your husband isnt there mentally for you,is he a runner also?he may not realize what you are missing,i didnt surf but knew what it means to him,we both use to also walk the boardwalk by our home but i wont go without him now so the pounds are coming on ! lol another bad side effect!.
if you need to talk im here ,it helps.
|

Antibiotic
Oh my god!!! I had my surgery on August 20th, and that saturday I woke up and had more pain than usual, it was a weird distinct hot localiazed pain coming from the bottom of my foot. I asked my husband to look at the bottom to see if he saw anything different, and he said he saw a new red spot. We both said lets go to urgent care. We went and by the time we got to the doctors the redness had already gotten bigger. I freaked cause I know the deadly affects of infections. But my surgery sites looked fine, so I calmed down. The doctor wanted to give me a shot of antibiotics right then, but I am allergic to penicillin and all injectable antibiotics are derived from penicillin. So he gave me 3 different kinds. One of them worked cause the infection is totally gone, and never reached my surgery site. THANK GOD!! When did your husband have his surgery? Did they do a culture (take a sample of the infected area) and send it to the lab to find out what type of infection he has? will they have to put a new plate in? My husband is just used to being able to do what he wants, (we dont have any kids yet) and being a fireman he only works 10 days out of the month. (He works 24 hour shifts). He golfs, bikes, plays poker alot and I am normally the one who takes care of everything as far as the house goes. So he is frustrated because he has to be here with me and cant go out and play (WaaWaaa). The first week he was really awesome but now he just gets irritated. I was and still am really depressed about the running. Just thinking about it makes me sooo sad. My aunt is a physical therapist and I kept thinking it won't take as long as they say, but she told me I had to be realistic and that I am looking at months of PT. Both her and my husband said well just start biking. They dont understand is that I LOVED to run. I didnt just do it because I wanted the exercise. I enjoyed it. When can your husband start surfing again?
|

replied October 12th, 2008
recovery
Hi...I am glad I found this website. I have been recovering from an ankle injury since Sept. 4th. I was bucked off a 16.3 hand horse. landed on the edge of the driveway and rolled my ankle breaking both the tibia and fibula; dislocated my foot; ruptured a ligament and stretched the other ligaments. It is my first bone breakage...I have done a good one. I had a plate and 7 screws on my outside ankle bone, 2 screw on my inside ankle bone and wire connecting the bones to replace the ruptured ligament. I am supposed to be able to put partial weight on it next week. I have been finding it to be mentally draining, being so inactive. I am usually a very active person. I am a teacher, mother, wife and love horseback riding. This injury is really testing my patience! I am sure you all know how little you can do with crutches! I also am unable to drive because I broke my right ankle.
I actually felt much relief after my surgery was done (almost 24 hours after the break). My pain was cut in half once the bones were stabilized. So far I haven't had any infection thank goodness. I started physical therapy 3 weeks ago. The doctor has told me that the bones will heal long before the ligaments will. I am looking at a few months of physical therapy. He claims it can take up to a year for the ankle to feel stable. I am currently working part-time and would love to go back to work full time. I have a wheelchair at school to move around in. Keeps my leg elevated and allows me to carry items in my lap. drea742...did you also have ligament damage? I feel the damage to the ligaments causes much more pain than the area of my legs where the bones broke because the "hardware" holds them in place. (I also have a large removable air cast...boot.)
|

replied December 13th, 2008
Tri mal recovery
HELP!!! I think I'm going out of my mind. I am 3 weeks post op. I go to the doctor December 30th to get plaster cast off and a boot. What can I expect? I have 3 young children: ages 5, 3 and 6 weeks old. I have to have somebody with me 24/7. Doctor said I could be walking for New Years. Though I know it won't be "normal" walking, how did you all walk that first day? Were you full weight bearing? I have never broken a bone before....this is so DEPRESSING. Any help is greatly appreciated.
|

replied January 8th, 2009
Trimalleolar fracture of left ankle recovery path
Dear aj377 - here is my path, currently in Month 6.

July 21st - tri mal fracture when jumping of my Trikke - it was angulated outward at probably 75 degrees or more. Every doc (nurse and volunteers) in the ER took a look at it.

July 31st - open reduction internal fixation (2 plates, 3 screws - both sides of ankle). No weight bearing! (You know what that means by now)

Sept. 12th - start weight bearing, onset of Physical Therapy, took me until Oct. 15th to walk completely w/o crutches

October 28th - the book finally came off
January 2nd - end of Physical Therapy

Status (Jan 8th): Walking with slight limp, still slow (cannot even think about running), trying to get the limp away. Stairs (down) still an issue and don't have the full rolling motion yet (but much better than fresh out of the cast when it felt like putting a stiff board on a stair).

Actions: Exercises at home AND I was recommended to check into MBT shoes. So I went to an Orthotics store today and was not suprised to see my weight distribution etc. is all off. I bought a pair today and even though it hurts I can feel how it really challenges the bad foot. I wore them for about 1 hour and will gradually increase. They feel excellent on the good leg (like walking on moss) but since they force a full rolling motion of the foot with every step.. and my ankle and foot cracks quite a bit.. I think this will help.

One thing I can only recommend and that I believe helped me with swelling issues - I got an EMS unit that also does lymphdrainage and TENS as soon as the boot came off. I only used the lymphdrainage feature though I am going to start EMS now as well as my left leg is still much thinner than the right one.

Hope I don't scare you, this has been the most frustrating injury I have ever had. Besides the excrutiating pain in the first 2 weeks the mental side is quite hard to deal with.

According to the doc I should be all healed by the 1 year anniversary of the accident. Some people are recovering faster others slower but anywhere between 6 months and a year. The good news is that I can really feel a difference when I walk down a flight of stairs so I can tell if it goes a teeny bit better and it continues to do so.

This was long, sorry for rambling.

All the best!
|
Users who thank hexe98 for this post: rickyglsu 

replied January 20th, 2009
Getting there - 5 weeks post-surgery
I slipped on the ice on Dec. 15 and broke both sides of my ankle (my husband knows the bones' names) and on Dec. 16 went into surgery. Received a plate and some screws on one side and screws in the other. The scariest part was that I was 24 weeks pregnant. I did not have a hard cast on but rather the boot. The funny thing was that when I first was in the ER they kept asking me if I wanted any aspirin (I declined before I could get more information on effects on the baby) and then once I was in my hospital room the nurse wouldn't give me anything without a prescription. Finally 7 hours post-slippage I received some morphine which didn't help too much becuase I was past the point of no-return. The surgery went great though and the baby and I came through with flying colors. I was lucky because I was kept in the delivery wing rather than the orhtopedic wing (delivery rooms are great!) The first week home I was scared to do anything on my own - they had made use a walker since I had a big belly growing in front of me and my center of gravity was off). I made my husband follow me to the bathroom. Luckily it was Christmas and time spent with family made it go by fast. Pain was bearable. Second week was hell. I started to get shooting pains in my foot on Sunday. The next day I was up a night crying due to foot pain. This was the worst thing I have had. Hard to explain but just constant pain. I was feeling more confident though with my ability to do things on my own. Third week was slightly better than the second week. I hardly kept my foot in the ace bandage (maybe should have more to reduce the blood pooling in my foot). I only wore my hard boot when I went outside. I also borrowed my Grandma's wheelchair (don't worry - she didn't need it at the time). The wheelchair made a huge difference in my spirits. I kept a bag on the back and then was able to "drive" around and get things (clothes to get dressed, paperwork at my desk (I worked from home during recovery, etc.) Fourth week was great - most of my foot pain had disappeared. The pain in my ankles went to a dullness around the 3-4 week. Now that I am in the fifth week I am hitting my wall. My foot is not doing to hot. Visited my ob-gyn today and she thinks it is blood pooling. I go to my surgeon on Thursday. I have no idea what to expect. The recovery of the ankle has been okay but the blood pooling has been awful. Here are some of my sypmtoms: wrinkled bottom foot, bruising of foot that is a brownish color, constant pain with increase when foot is moved, swelling, white and red spots. Anyone else had a similar experience with the foot? If anything, this was very therapuetic for me and hopefully will helpful for others
|

replied November 1st, 2011
same thing for me
Hello!
I've had a VERY similar post op experience and I wondered...does that mean I'm pregnant? :0) (bad joke) Anyway, I"m in week two moving into week three and the shooting pains are horrible. not to mention my wrinkly bruised up foot that I seemed to have made worse by massaging it. My foot had a very weird sensation that which made it sensitive to the touch. Main thing is the pain. It moved from the sides of my ankle where my stitches were, to the back of my ankle. I open my ace bandage at home to help the circulation and I've noticed that's brought the color back to my foot. This sucks but we'll make it through! Happy healing.
|

replied February 8th, 2009
Never going to heal?!?
Hi My names Andrea...I am glad I am not the only one. It was 4 years ago when I first broke my ankle. I went to the emergency room and they told me it was just a really bad sprain, we looked at the xray and My mom and I knew that it was broken and the doctor just kept saying it was a really bad sprain he told me what to do and that we didn't need to schedule a follow up. So we did what the doctor said. We got an apt with the Orthepdics on the Military Hospitals and it took us 4 months to get an apt I ended up walking on a broken ankle for 7 months. I have undergone 3 surgies, was diagnosed with Arthritis at the age of 16. This happened my last 3 years of high school and also first year in college. I feel like this is never going to end and its fustrating because I have gained a few pounds (just a few) I used to be really active but its hard to now because the pain no matter what it hurts I lost 4 years of my life because of this and it sucks especially being a tean when your suppose to go and have fun. It's not getting any better and I don't know what to do I have seen different doctors and they say there isn't much they can do. I feel like there has to be something that someone can do. Its just really irritating.
|

replied September 4th, 2012
The same thing happened with me. The ER docs said it was a sprain and sent me home. After a month I went to another doctor because it was getting worse. He sent me for physical therapy and more X-rays. While I was miserable in pt, the therapist stopped me and said I had a high fibula fracture. They put me in a walking boot, and sent me home. That was 3 years ago, and I'm trying to figure out why I constantly have burning pain down the inside of my ankle (wrong side) and my big toe is now messed up. My husband thinks there was more severe ligament damage that never healed, not to mention that the bones are probably misaligned. I never had surgery.
|

replied February 8th, 2009
Never going to heal?!?
Hi My names Andrea...I am glad I am not the only one. It was 4 years ago when I first broke my ankle. I went to the emergency room and they told me it was just a really bad sprain, we looked at the xray and My mom and I knew that it was broken and the doctor just kept saying it was a really bad sprain he told me what to do and that we didn't need to schedule a follow up. So we did what the doctor said. We got an apt with the Orthepdics on the Military Hospitals and it took us 4 months to get an apt I ended up walking on a broken ankle for 7 months. I have undergone 3 surgies, was diagnosed with Arthritis at the age of 16. This happened my last 3 years of high school and also first year in college. I feel like this is never going to end and its fustrating because I have gained a few pounds (just a few) I used to be really active but its hard to now because the pain no matter what it hurts I lost 4 years of my life because of this and it sucks especially being a tean when your suppose to go and have fun. It's not getting any better and I don't know what to do I have seen different doctors and they say there isn't much they can do. I feel like there has to be something that someone can do. Its just really irritating.
|

replied February 12th, 2009
better every day
broke my ankle(the fibula, the smaller leg bone) and tore several tendons Jan 17th. Had surgery(a plate and 6 screws) Jan. 20th. Yes,
the pain after surgery was excruciating. I am also a marathon runner and skier and am determined to do whatever it takes to get back to 100% asap. I did have an infection after surgery, but antibiotics took care of it.My Doc says NO weight bearing activities for 3 months, can't drive either. I'm doing a lot of sit-ups and upper body work along with my PT. At 58 I've been told it could take up to a year to heal, but mark my word;"I WILL be biking this summer and skiing next winter!"
|

replied February 13th, 2009
Newly "Grounded"... Seeking to Give and Get Moral Supp
Hi... I am reading your posts less than a week after badly breaking 2 bones and tearing at least one ligament (or is it a tendon??) in my right ankle. I just missed a step going into my garage, rolled my ankle and ended up unable to put any weight on that leg at all. I knew as soon as I went down that I really messed it up badly, but our insurance is poor and I didn't want to go to the ER. Guess that was stupid, as I ended up there anyway after the dr. in the walk-in clinic saw me the next morning and spent next 3 days in the hospital getting metal plate and screws to stabalize my ankle. I feel like Humpty Dumpty...

Anyway, I can see from these posts that I am just at the beginning of a long, hard journey, and I hope my husband and I have the patience for this (and for each other and all that is ahead!)

Anyway, all I know so far is that the surgeon said he had trouble getting the screws to hold because my bones are "mushy". Pretty discouraging, huh? I am 56 and had been told a few years ago that I had osteopenia (very early stage in just the spine, not the hip) but I didn't want to take Fosamax due to the association with jaw bone death side effects... Said I'd do weight-bearing exercises and increase calcium, etc., but I guess it wasn't enough. Just went through menopause, and dr. said that really makes you lose bone mass very quickly... So, I'm mad at myself for not catching this before I really hurt myself (as is my husband!)and dealing with all the pain and mental/emotional aspects of looking at a long period of inactivity and dependence on others (not easy for someone as active and independent as I used to be).

So I look forward to reading your posts, getting and giving "words of wisdom" and learning what to expect. The dr. sure hasn't told me much yet, but I guess I have another week until I go back to get staples/stitches out and learn what comes next. I know he said at least 6 weeks with NO weight on it...Now it is excrutiating to even touch the ground with my heel, so that is one order I'll have no trouble following ; )

Sorry this is so long.... It's 4 a.m., and I'm unable to sleep! I know though (at least I hope!) that each day/week will get better, God-willing, and I hope to find and give support to others who are similarly "side-lined" this winter. Hey, it could be worse.... I'd go even more nuts with this cast/splint/inactivity if it was summertime!
|

User Profile
replied February 21st, 2009
Recent Post-Op
Well I broke my fibula and tibia in 5 places on Feb 5. I had an external fixator on for 2 weeks (bad bad swelling) and was laid up in the hospital then Feb 17 finally got my 2 plates and 12 screws put in.

I realize it has only been 4 days since the surgery (I'm getting restless tho b/c I've been laid up for 3 weeks now so it seems a lot longer) but did anyone else have trouble just having their foot down? Whenever my foot isn't elevated the pain is pretty unbearable. Who else has this happened to? and how long does it take to go away? I ask because this is really the only thing keeping me from getting back to work because otherwise I could just sit in my wheelchair at my desk all day. How long is this going to take before I can sit comfortably?

Thanks all and god bless.
|

replied August 22nd, 2011
Same here. Did you find out?
|

replied February 14th, 2012
hi Rickyglsu

I also have that. i realize this is old (it's now 2012) but if anyone else has this issue I am very very uncomfortable when i put my leg down for any length of time -- I broke my ankle in three places after being thrown by my horse. I got a plate and two screws and still don't have my stitches out - it's been 5 weeks on my couch. last friday -6 days ago- i got the soft cast and bandages off and given an air cast that i wear when i have to hobble around. but my foot turns purple and it's very very uncomfortable. I had been given a nerve blocker that lasted 3 days (or was supposed to) after surgery, but i can also empathize with those with pain after surgery. IT WAS AGONY. At least for 2 days. now i have pain in my calf which started right after they threaded the catheter into my nerve (in the back of my thigh) i am hoping this blood rushing to my foot thing abates some til it's gone. goodness. or that it's nothing serious. that's why i found this site. I was wondering if anyone else has this ?
|

replied March 4th, 2012
hi! i am sorry for my grammatical mistakes,but i am not an native english speaker...

i had an ankle surgery as well ,on 19 january,2012. broken in three places,two plates and 7 screws...The pain it was agonising in the begining,after surgery,but get better after few days...first thing who made me doubt: i had no post-operator antibiotic medication...i had the surgery in other country than mine...my sister is doctor and i had other surgery before ,so i kind of expected same thing...nope! when i did ask,they said they gave me a big dose of antibiotic durind surgery,so i don't need it any more! ok! tnx God i had no infection....when they did removed the first cast(the one they put right after the surgery),they did not cleaned my wound,just put the plaster over scares out,let the blood run down and put a new plaster..is that normal? i doubt! i had a new cast,they give me the medication i suppose to take(paracetamol,dyhidrocodeine and xalerto-a blood thinner} and i was out.first week i was near ok,but at second one i started to feel very ill...i could not eat anything,i was feeling sick all time but i could not throw up (i had not what to!!!!),fever all time...finally,at about 11 days after surgery),i started to feel i am fainting...i was suspicious about blood thinner and i stoped taking it.ambulance came,they took me hospital and guess what? they did not even give me some iv glucose,despite i was very deshydrated and i explained them i did not eat for near one week...after about three hours of being there for nothing(not even blood tests...),they ask me a urine sample.i saw it was darker of usually,but i was thinking is medication side effect...in less then half a hour they conclude i have urinary infection,give me some antibacterial medication and send me home...AND I TOLD THEM MY FEAR ABOUT BLOOD-THINNER!!!!!!!!!coming home,nightmare starts:hemoragy!it was not the period,cause it just finished one week before)...i was peeing blood,my nose bleeding...real horror!!!
monday(three days after this)-first check post surgery...i hardly could move and i was looking as a zombie...they make a new ex-ray and doctor come to talk to me(another one then the one who performed surgery)...i tell him all story,including the bleeding...he said to wait after they change my cast.
when they put out the cast i felt more sick seeing that the plasters went green-grey(the dry blood on it).i did ask if is normal,they said yes! when done,the receptionist say i must stay in hospital...trust me,i really felt i need it!so they start to pomp in me a lot of glucose and some other things iv,they make blood test three times a day and SURPRISE NO MORE BLOOD THINNER!
after three days i was getting better.WHAT HAPPEND? they said i had strange reaction to blood -thinner and my liver stop working for a week!and all they did was to say:WE ARE SORRY FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE!
i found( from my sister which is a good doctor) that the dose of blood-thinner should be 1mg a day,not 10mg a day as i took for a week! i could have very easy an vascular accident and die...BUT THEY DID APOLOGIZE!
Thanks GOD i am all right now,tomorrow i have next check,hope they put the cast out....

SO BE VERY CAREFUL TO MEDICATION AS WELL,YOU MAY DAY AS A RESULT OF INCOMPETENCE! AND OTHER THING: XALERTO IS NOT APROOVED TO BE USED IN EUROPE! SO I WAS LITTLE GUINEA PIG!

hope i did not bored you too much,but please ,take care!
good health to all!

Maddy
|