Medical Questions > Debate Forums > Cloning and Stem Cell Debate Forum

Ebryonic Vs Adult (Page 1)

Isnt it about time we abandoned Embryonic stem cell research and put the money to better use in Adult Stem Cell research.

1. There has been magnificant results in Adult Stem Cell Research and none whatsoever in Embryonic stem cell research

2. It is obviously more ethical to use adult stem cells than create many poor defencless embryonic children in order to mutilate and violate them.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 24th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Where do these "adult stem cells" come from? It was my belief from research that any cells found in the adult body, even with pluriponent abilities, are not as good as the ones found in embryos and umbilical cord blood.
|

replied July 25th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
stem cells from umbilical cord blood is not regarded as Embryonic Stem Cells for the simple reason they are not from Embryos.

they are regarded as "cord blood stem cells"

adult stem cells are found in all adult tissues.

The term "Adult stem cell" refers to any cell which is found in a developed organism thus including Umbilical Cord blood.

here is a list that details the areas of succesful medical advances in regards to Adult - Vs - Embryonic Stem Cell Research

1. Adult Stem Cells - Cancers:

Brain Cancer
Retinoblastoma
Ovarian Cancer
Skin Cancer: Merkel Cell Carcinoma
Testicular Cancer
Tumors abdominal organs Lymphoma
Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma
Hodgkin’s Lymphoma
Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia
Acute Myelogenous Leukemia
Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia
Juvenile Myelomonocytic Leukemia
Chronic Myelomonocytic Leukemia
Cancer of the lymph nodes: Angioimmunoblastic Lymphadenopathy
Multiple Myeloma
Myelodysplasia
Breast Cancer
Neuroblastoma
Renal Cell Carcinoma
Various Solid Tumors
Soft Tissue Sarcoma
Ewing’s Sarcoma
Waldenstrom’s macroglobulinemia
Hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis
POEMS syndrome
Myelofibrosis

1. Ebryonic SCR: Cancers

None

2.Adult SCR- Auto-Immune Diseases

Diabetes Type I (Juvenile)
Systemic Lupus
Sjogren’s Syndrome
Myasthenia
Autoimmune Cytopenia
Scleromyxedema
Scleroderma
Crohn’s Disease
Behcet’s Disease
Rheumatoid Arthritis
Juvenile Arthritis
Multiple Sclerosis
Polychondritis
Systemic Vasculitis
Alopecia Universalis
Buerger’s Disease

2. Embryonic SCR - Auto-Immune Diseases

None

3. Adult SCR - Cardiovascular

Acute Heart Damage
Chronic Coronary Artery Disease

3. Embryonic SCR - Cardiovascular

None

4. Adult SCR - Ocular

Corneal regeneration

4. Embryonic - Ocular

None

5. Adult SCR - Immunodeficiencies

Severe Combined Immunodeficiency Syndrome
X-linked Lymphoproliferative Syndrome
X-linked Hyper immunoglobulin M Syndrome

5. Embryonic SCR - Immunodeficiencies

None

6.Adult SCR - Neural Degenerative Diseases and Injuries

Parkinson’s Disease
Spinal Cord Injury
Stroke Damage

6. Embryonic - Neural Degenerative Diseases and Injuries

None

7. Adult SCR - Anemias and Other Blood Conditions

Sickle Cell Anemia
Sideroblastic Anemia
Aplastic Anemia
Red Cell Aplasia
Amegakaryocytic Thrombocytopenia
Thalassemia
Primary Amyloidosis
Diamond Blackfan Anemia
Fanconi’s Anemia
Chronic Epstein-Barr Infection

7. Embryonic SCR - Anemias and Other Blood Conditions

None

8 Adult SCR - Wounds and Injuries

Limb Gangrene
Surface Wound Healing
Jawbone Replacement
Skull Bone Repair

8. Embryonic SCR - Wounds and Injuries

None

9. Adult SCR - Other Metabolic Disorders

Hurler’s Syndrome
Osteogenesis Imperfecta
Krabbe Leukodystrophy
Osteopetrosis
Cerebral X-Linked Adrenoleukodystrophy

9. Embryonic SCR - Other Metabolic Disorders

None

10 Adult SCR - Liver Disease

Chronic Liver Failure
Liver Cirrhosis

10 Embryonic SCR - Liver Disease

None

11. Adult SCR - Bladder Disease

End-Stage Bladder Disease

11. Embryonic SCR - Bladder Disease

None

http://www.stemcellresearch.org/facts/trea tments.htm

In the UK the big money goes to "embryonic stem cell reaserch"
|

User Profile
replied July 25th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Hey
is this what this would be used to treat?
dont you think that both could be good. A cell is so complex---i think its good to study it. it just depends on how you use it..
|

replied July 25th, 2007
That . I. S what .Adult stem cells are currently beig used to treat.... Embryonic stem cells cant do it... all those lives for......absolutly nothing,
|

User Profile
replied July 25th, 2007
Gu£st wrote:
That . I. S what .Adult stem cells are currently beig used to treat.... Embryonic stem cells cant do it... all those lives for......absolutly nothing,

Well, they keep doing it for a reason. I am sure that the baby isn't alive when they do it so don't worry.
|

replied July 25th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Gu£st wrote:

Actually, those "lives" are embryos that would be destroyed unless used for this research. So they were going to die either way.
|

User Profile
replied July 25th, 2007
Eiri wrote:
Gu£st wrote:

Actually, those "lives" are embryos that would be destroyed unless used for this research. So they were going to die either way.

So, those babies have passed on and its just there shell.. Thats what I thought. Better to go to use.
|

replied July 25th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
That's my thought.
|

User Profile
replied July 25th, 2007
Eiri wrote:
That's my thought.

I just don't see the point in distroying something good when they could possibly find cures for different things by doing this type of research. Yeah, if they were ALIVE it would be terrible, but they're not.. So, its not so bad. Like if I had a baby and it was still born I would like them to do research and use the baby if it helps them..
|

User Profile
replied July 26th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
The difference is that a stillborn baby is a terrible tragedy that was caused by nature whereas embryos are unique human beings created for death. Sure, the lucky ones get implanted and the even luckier ones go on to develop into babies but IVF is performed in the knowledge that these lives will be created just to die.
|

replied July 26th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Jules wrote:
The difference is that a stillborn baby is a terrible tragedy that was caused by nature whereas embryos are unique human beings created for death. Sure, the lucky ones get implanted and the even luckier ones go on to develop into babies but IVF is performed in the knowledge that these lives will be created just to die.

Well exactly; so I don't see why it's bad to use them for stem cell research.

Secondly, I'd love to see a pro-lifer who was pro-IVF. I would love to tell them how many embryos DIE in the process. It is abortion. These eggs are purposely fertilized you know?
|

replied July 29th, 2007
"so I don't see why it's bad to use them for stem cell research."

I know what you mean Eiri but if i may explain or at least try to explain by using a similar analogy to what your point is but the scary thing is and it is tied in with why ESCR is so bad is that it is where things are heading

Today we are producing embryos (human beings) and experimenting on them, they are going to die anyway so why not exploite them for the benefit of mankind right?

Imagine if this kind of philosophy were to advance further Just as abortion philosophy has advanced further in encompassing embryos for this research. Now its 10? 20 years down the line and now we find not only are we now experimenting on human beings who are in a vegitive state but we are also developing embryos to a much more advanced stage that they are no longer embryos at all to what point of development do we consider wrong since they were destined to die anyway and that it is for our benefit that they have life at all....can you not begin to see what is so bad and dangerous about ignoring the dignity of human life. Can you not begin to see the autrocities that can come from the Idea that Mankind can manipulate nature into creating human beings to be exploited for our benefit and this of course stems from the same concept of a man and woman considering when a child will benefit their relationship and when an abortion is prefered it is the self same philosphy regarding the worth of human life at what point do we say human beings are not there to be exploited for the benefit of other human beings.....when we are the ones being exploited, when we are the one's facing the knife, the corrosive chemicals, the gas chambers....when a rich/strong man exploites a poor/weak man by killing him to take one of his vital organs....where does it end?

It ends at the very begining...... all human beings are of equal worth and should be treat with dignity and respect
|

User Profile
replied September 28th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Sorry to bring up an old post, but we're missing something here...

The reason that more reserach is being done on adult stem cells is because the government restricts research on embryonic stem cells.

Not because they're not effective.

Stem cells are stem cells, it doesn't matter where they come from. They are all equally effective.
|

replied September 29th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Then why would scientists even bother fighting for the government to fund embryonic stem cell research?
|

User Profile
replied September 29th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Embryonic stem cells are easier to get sometimes. Like in IVF clinics, for example. They can also be made artificially. Since adult stem cells need to be extracted from the inside of an adult, they are harder to get and to control.

It's explained in the most recent thread about how stem cells work.
|

replied October 3rd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Oh. ok. Thanks. I'll go read it.

I thought it was because embryonic stem cells were totipotent, and could be made into any cell of the human body, whereas adult stem cells were limited as to what cells they could become. Also, I thought it was because embryonic stem cells generated stem cell lines more readily and more plentifully.
|

User Profile
replied October 4th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Well I'm not an expert on stem cells, but my understanding was that they all work the same, regardless of the source. I do know, however, that embryonic stem cells are more available, but protected by government laws.
|

replied October 4th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
From what I understand, the research isn't restricted at all. It is the government funding of the research that is restricted.
|

User Profile
replied October 26th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Hmm I thought it was. I'll look it up.
|
12 >>