Medical Questions > Mens Health > Sexual Health - Men Forum

Damage to Suspensory Ligament (Page 1)

Must Read
Talking openly about the penis is a very personal matter. Learn basic penis anatomy to discuss penile disorders accurately with your doctor....
Penis symptoms that interfere with sexual activity or urination could be serious. Learn the signs and symptoms of penis problems that require a doctor's help....
How do urologists evaluate and diagnose painful penis? A penis disorder is a medical problem. Learn more about possible diagnoses for penis disorders now....
Hi.

In 2000 I was concerned that my penis might curve to far upward, so I pulled down on it and then it gave out. The blood maintained in the penis, but it pointed downward as if I tore the suspensory ligament. For a while I couldn't get erections and I still can't get spontaneous ones. I can only get erections by gratifying with my hands.

I met some other people online who have the same problem. One guy even flew to england to get checked out. Exclamation Exclamation

I personally have been to over 10 different urologist in the span of 7 years. I hate that I was so stupid as to bend my penis downward.

Anyways, like I said I can only get erections from masterbation. I can get semi-sponatious erections but they point down and aren't hard. Also, my penis still points upward when I'm hard, so my suspensory ligament isn't completely torn. Here is a list of what I have been dealing with for a while...

-slight numbness

-Penis doesn't react when I flex PC muscle; feels detached or very loose.

-flaccid penis is actually longer after I snapped it which leads me to believe that damage was done to the suspensory ligament.

One last question...when you flex your PC muscle, does the penis react to it? Can you move your penis at all with it?

Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 24th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
You just performed penile-lengthening surgery on yourself. I'm not kidding; that's what they do!

My ex can control his penis with the pc muscles, making it "bounce".

Your penis is supposed to point upwards when hard...
|

replied July 24th, 2007
Experienced User
No, my penis still points up when hard, it just feels detached and I can't get spontaneous erections.
|

replied July 24th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
wrote:
No, my penis still points up when hard, it just feels detached and I can't get spontaneous erections.

Yes, I read that... I think you'll be okay (not perfect, but okay) as long as you still get hard enough for sex later on in your life... and hey, as a bonus, your penis is a little longer!
|

replied July 25th, 2007
Experienced User
I don't see how thats possible. I mean inorder for my penis to still be able to stand up 90 degrees when erect, some scar tissue must have formed. I mean if I actually did damage the suspensory ligament, my dick shouldn't be fine when I get erections.
|

User Profile
replied July 25th, 2007
Experienced User
Yes, that IS how they lengthen your penis (by cutting that ligiment) and yes, I can make mine move up and down by flexing the muscle. Now if they could just add more blood to it to make it wider....
I haven't gotten that procedure done. Length is not the issue for me.
|

replied July 25th, 2007
Experienced User
No, because when you get the op done, your dick has no suspension and just hangs down when erect.
|

replied July 25th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
wrote:
I don't see how thats possible. I mean inorder for my penis to still be able to stand up 90 degrees when erect, some scar tissue must have formed. I mean if I actually did damage the suspensory ligament, my penis shouldn't be fine when I get erections.

I don't know how it's possible but clearly this is what has happened to you; you somehow damaged and lengthened your suspensory ligament. And it will be just fine even if it was totally severed as someone else said: the suspensory ligament is not necessary for an erection. All it does is affect where the erection is pointed. Without the ligament, your penis would point down. With it, the penis points up, and in your case it is damaged, and you still get the semi-upright posture.

Just so you know, some men just don't have upwards facing penises. My ex's penis had a downward curve and never ever pointed up.
|

replied July 25th, 2007
Experienced User
So you're saying I may have damaged the ligament, like I previously thought, but not completely.

This doesn't necessarily mean my dick is larger, but I wonder if this procedure could make my dick smaller and I wonder if a doctor would even perform this procedure consider my dick still points straight up....

The surgical technique of repair included identifying the PSL via a transverse suprapubic incision. Once identified, the PSL was reinforced or repaired using nonabsorbable no. 1 Nylon sutures placed from the midline of the tunica to the pubic symphysis, until the optimal functional penile position was achieved as documented by an artificial erection test.
|

replied August 3rd, 2008
Suspensory Ligament
Did you ever get this repaired or did it heal itself?

I have the same problem..
|

replied August 3rd, 2008
Experienced User
Hi, I just got an MRI done so hopefully I'll be getting the results soon. If something is wrong, I plan on getting whatever surgery is done eventhough it's risky.
|

replied August 3rd, 2008
Suspensory Ligament
Marc,

when you had an MRI done did they have to do it while it was erect. I think I need one done also.

What doctor have you talked to about doing the repair?

How risky is it and what would the drawbacks be?

If you want we can talk straight thru email

freightzoom at gmail dot com

Put in subject line "Suspensory Ligament"

If you are uncomfortable with that we can post here.

Maybe we can each other advice..
|

replied March 21st, 2009
any new news? the repair seems to be bad though no? if the they put nonabsorbable sutures that means you don't have the ligament there anymore... and since their not absorbale you'll always have strings in your penis no?
|

replied June 7th, 2009
Hi Marc,

I am experiencing almost identical problems to you and I am desperate to talk to someone who is in the same positions as me. I dont know if you still read this forum, as your last post was quite a while ago, but if you do then would it be possible to post on here to let me know how the mri scan went and how things are now. I would really appreciate it as, like i said, i am getting desperate in trying find out what has happened to me....

Thank you.
|

replied June 7th, 2009
yea... i broke mine when i was like 10, i'm 21 now. damn i knew something was wrong.

somebody help me lol, ill check back
|

replied October 27th, 2009
chooki, same here man...I actually had mine checked out and was told it was not necessary that I have surgery...I still want surgery tho :\
|

replied November 26th, 2010
Damaged Suspensory ligament of the penis
Wow...
Although I feel bad for whomever suffers this, I must admit that I am in the same boat.

I was having sex about, 8 yrs ago and all of the sudden I felt and heard a "pop" sound coming out of my penis. I went flacid and my penis felt really cold. I must say that, I was bleeding for a couple of min afterwards, even though there was not that much pain.

I can have sex with no problems now, however.. it is different. It feels like my penis is not attached to my pelvis. I just found out is called "suspensory ligament of the penis" that little thing that messed up.
So when I am hard.. my penis is pointing downwards, or to the side if I am laying on my back; not upwards as it used to.

I am planning on making an appointment with an Urologist and have this matter taken care of. I waited to long for shame, I guess, and mostly for ignorance.

if any of you have had this problem resolved, please respond to this message... I found that the procedure is not too-complicated but, I want to hear FROM the affected party, not from the doctors...
|

replied June 7th, 2011
Add another to the list..

I have damaged my sus Ligament also..

It is still attached as far as i can tell, but is extremely large and quite painful.. It has been 4 days and swelling is fading, but i am scared to get erect.
woke up this morning and i was erect but it seemed like I had no control of where it was going and I could not make it real hard.. It kept wanting to move around everywhere istead of getting more blood to the knob...

F**& I am worried!!!

Do I get surgery?
|

replied June 2nd, 2013
suspain

I had the same symtoms as you, with my penis wanting to move around everywhere. How is your penis now have you had much improvement. I am getting really woried and anxious.

Thanks
Rob
|

replied June 2nd, 2013
suspain

I had the same symtoms as you, with my penis wanting to move around everywhere. How is your penis now have you had much improvement. I am getting really woried and anxious.

Thanks
Rob
|
12 >>
Quick Reply