Medical Questions > Parenting > Adoption Forum

Adoption of Special Need Child

Hi. I'm a 45 years old woman. Me and my husband are married 20 years and we don't have children. We have decided that is the best for us to adopt a child with special needs. We don't know the procedure. Is the waiting list long? Are we going to have some benefits or state help in raising our child ? We are good Christians and we want to have a child that we are going to look after.
Have any of you had a similar experience? Can you give me some advices or guidelines. Thanks for reading this and thanks in advance for every replay.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 11th, 2007
what kind of special needs child do you want to adopt? ...i'm not sure how long you will have to wait but i hope you get you're baby!
|

replied October 23rd, 2007
here in wa state if you go through the state to adopt a child, there isnt a wait for a special needs child after all your paperwork,fbi background, classes, and homestudy is complete. but just because a child is "labeled" as special needs DOES NOT mean that they are physically or mentally disabled. some times they are "labeled" as specail needs because of their age, or because they belong(dont know if thats how to say it) with a sibling group. and sometimes its because they have a small fixable medical problem.
Check into your state for adoption, you can usually get info from the dcf or dshs office.

Good Luck

p.s. the reason i put "labeled" is because that is not my term.
|

replied October 2nd, 2008
Experienced User
go to the website "rainbowkids dot com" i havnt adopted through them or heard much about it, but from what ive seen, i wish i had found it earlier in my adoption process. Very Happy
|