Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Postpartum and Postnatal Forum

Biopsychosocial Causes of Postnatal Depression

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
My wife has a postnatal depression . Its bad... But I was wondering what causes this depression , I try to help her in any way , I'm supportive ,I'm kind with her all the time, but it doesnt seem to help alot. So is there some hormone or process that causes this kind of behavior ?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 29th, 2007
Just give her all you got. Love her and let her know you love her. I had postpardium depression with my son 2 1/2 years ago and I still am not the same. It happens to a lot of woman. I had it so bad I can't remember my son's first three months. Just support her no matter what and help her when ever you can. Being through pregnancy and being a new mother is the hardest thing I have ever been through. I finally had to go on medication to help me through it. Maybe you should talk to her ob Doctor and see what he/she says. Your wife may need some help. My husband didn't help me much because he really didn't believe in postpardium depression. My mom helped me more than anyone and without her I would have lost my mind. Take care of your wife and try to understand that this is hard for her more than you will ever know. Take care and I hope she is feeling better very soon. And congratulations on the new baby.
|

replied November 1st, 2007
Postpartum Depression...
It's caused by hormonal changes. I think the placenta is to blame for that. Codysmommy had good advice.
|