Medical Questions > Cancer > Cancers Forum

Lump On the Sternocleidomastoid

Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
hello,

I have noticed an asymmetry in my sternocleidomastoid muscles in my neck ( at least that is what I think they are called); the two big muscles in neck that extend down from ear area. The right muscle seems to have a marble-sized lump on it and the left does not. I was wondering what this could be in the worst case scenario.
I have had swelling problems with my right tonsil for about 8 months now which is swollen.... the swelling goes up and down; same with a gland at the in the neck just under where the tongue is, again on the right side and again, the swelling goes up and down. smoking, caffeine and carbonated drinks seem to make it worse.
I went to see my gp and he gave me antibiotics which seemed to help little so he gave me a stronger course and that helped little as well.
went to an ENT today and he says everything looks fine but failed to explain possible causes for the swellings.
I forgot to mention to him the problem i was having with the right sternocleidomastoid muscle, scaring the heck of of me really. I'm male, 30 yrs old, smoker of 13 years but other wise in good health. And no...no night sweats or loss of weight or even a 'sore' throat, just feels tight. any idea as to what this lump might be and what might be causing the up and down swelling? thank you for any help you can give
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 26th, 2007
Lump On the Sternocleidomastoid
Hi Jacob,

From what you describe, it sounds like you have the same thing I do. I noticed a swelling/lump on the right side of my neck about a year ago.
I mentioned it to my General Doctor twice but he didn't seem concerned, said it looked like the Sternocleidomastoid muscle was swollen and that he'd check my blood for infection - that came out ok. So now it's a few months after that and I notice the other day that the lump is definitely bigger and now noticeable by sight. So I went straight to the ENT and he said I need a CAT scan to see what it is. That was today. I'm pretty freaked out BUT there is one thing I just found that sounds exactly like what I have and is not cancerous. Here's the link so you can take a look at it and see if it fits what you're experiencing:

http://www.jada.ada.org/cgi/content/full/1 34/1/81

Let me know if you've found anything else out - hope you're doing well!

Karen
|

replied December 2nd, 2009
Same problem with all forums... people post and then disappear. How can we know what happen to this guy?
|

replied December 16th, 2009
Ive currently got the same kinda thing... cant follow the link but am hoping you can ease my worries if your still around
|