Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

Mold / mouse Infestation house - health side effects

Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....
Hi all, newbie here. I'll try to keep this short and to the point...

I started dating a woman 4 years ago, her 2 kids at the time were pre-teen, one still is. The house they lived in was infested with mice and mould and was like that since they moved in over a 14 years ago. It's taken us over 2 years to demolish and remove the mold, and it's been a year since a mouse was seen. I think the house is cleaned up once and for all... The mouse infestation was so bad, they had full run of the house and the walls they got into? the insulation was heavy from urine and feces, i've never seen it that bad. The whole house had an underlying smell. The mice were nesting in all of the ductwork too. Mold was growing almost 2 feet up the walls of the girls bedrooms.

One of the kids was born into this house, the other was two when they moved in. I don't want to get into particulars as to why they lived like this, just concerned over health issues.

The youngest (the one that was born here) has learning disabilities and has been fighting with belly aches and allergies for a couple of years now, yet undiagnosed. The older has allergies and some psychological problems but the doctors could find nothing but yet they haven't really done much testing. I'm really concerned about this. Their family doctor seems to think the environment would have nothing to do with any of these health issues.

I find it hard to believe that 2 kids can grow up in this environment, live with that kind of mold and mouse infestation and come out with a clean bill of health.

Been reading and researching for a long time now, seems like there's conflicting opinions on health issues on mold and mice, whatever... What steps should we take? anyone in particular we should take the kids to see? Anyone else ever go through this???

Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile yogahoneybunny
|

User Profile
replied August 18th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Be careful with mold! I have a friend who removed mold from his ventilation system himself and wound up in the hospital with a lung infection and 25K bill. I think your hunch may be right about the kids' developmental disorders being related to the house environment. But call a professional to get it taken care of...plus, you might look into getting some cats!
|

replied May 12th, 2008
I just moved into a house w/ my husband and now four-month-old about two months ago. Since then we've found lots of mouse nests and mice pieces and droppings. My landlord might let us out of the lease but I'm very concerned, esp. with reading your post, regarding side effects of my baby son. We're definitely going to try to get out of here as soon as we can.
|

User Profile
replied May 13th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
Yes ... I'd suggest that request breaking the lease. Also, you might take your son for a check up ... or to a pediatric pulmonologist to make sure that his respiratory system (and yours!) is OK.
|

replied May 27th, 2009
mouse infestation
I'm very worried,I found mouse droppings and nesting everywhere,it's all on my couch in spare room(art room),I rent and told my landlord,he's only looking after basement with traps or whatever! I'm worried because I haven't been feeling well nor has my dogs,there is no food what so ever for them but they are here.Last year I caught over 65 mice with live trap! I heard mice pee the whole time to leave a trail where ever they go!,I heard you can't vacuum it either.What can I do? Wondering if my headaches are from them for I've had a headache everyday all day for over a month now,which I normally don't have.Don't we need a professional pest control? This problem has been here for long time I heard and too many holes too cover!Don't want to move but can't live this way.Help!!!! Worried about poison for I have pets.Does anyone know what the symptoms are or how to get rid of them? I'm in tears over this,my art paper and stuff is ruined,and don't know what to do about my couch?HELP ME PLEASE!! Morningdove11
|

replied May 27th, 2009
are you in a house or apartment?

setting traps at this point is useless as you're finding out. What needs to happen is to seal off EVERY little hole from the outside where the mice can invade your home, if this is not done then they will keep coming in. They don't need much of a hole to get in.

Once your home is sealed, then you finish trapping these mice. Your home is going to need a good cleaning, get rid of what you don't need and what not. I'm not sure of what methods can be used for cleaning but you can call professionals to see what to use.

Do not tolerate mouse invasions. I don't know where you live but there should be someone you can call to deal with issues with landlords and what not. you may be able to hold back rents legally and it's something to check into. That usually gets the fastest reaction.

good luck
|

replied April 7th, 2010
Health Effects of Mice Droppings
First it is illigal that I know of in any state to allow vermin or bugs into your living envirionment and the landlords job to exterminate and eliminate the source. You can call the Attorney General''s Office of your state and ask them how to handle this and also ask for the "Landlord Tenant Handbook" that will tell you what is legal and what is not for the most part. It may not cover everything, but it will tell you what is allowed and such and responsibility by whom. You may also w3ant to call Legal Services/Aide in your phone book and call them to ask what recourse you may have. I know you cannot just stop making rent payments or you will be thrown out for non-payment. You first have to notify in writing and send by certified return signature requested a letter stating the problem and asking that it be rectified and as how long it is going to take, etc. Ask for all of this in writing. When you have a scum-lord, they will not want to do anything in writing that you can then later use in court against them. If you do not do it in writing you will be told to do so and it will not start the legal end for you till you do. Also, log all calls with the name of whom spoken to, dates, times and brief description of the conversations regarding this situation. In most states landlords are given a set amount of time to fix things, this may fall under doing it sooner due to the health hazards involved and damages to your belongings. Be careful and take pictures or video (at least once a week till settled) of your home/apartment to show cleanliness as your landlord will most likely state you are causing them to be drawn to your apartment by allowing food and such to be accessible to the rodents and drawing them in. In anything you do there are steps to take. Call the above referenced to find out where you stand legally and what you are allowed to do and what you need to do. Get your facts and keep them in a folder should you need them for court. This is the kind of information that a Judge will ask for that backs up what you are stating. Send for information that states the law and what can and cannot be done or to be done by tenant or landlord. Send a letter via registered mail stating the facts to your landlord and request what is going to be done and when and ask that it be put in writing. In most states when a landlord does not maintain a fit and healthy envirnment for which they collect rents there are laws to protect the renter. You just have to get your facts first so you know where you stand within the law and will then have facts to fight a landlord who may be stonewalling or refusing to do any repairs at all. In the end, be prepared that you just may end up having to move. Sometimes it just is not worth losing your health to what you have no control over. I hope this is of help to you and that you all find the remedies you so badly need. God Bless and best wishes!

Haunta (spelling) Virus. It was a big problem in 4 corners reservations of the southwest during the early nineties. I lived in Arizona then and I remember all the hysteria.

Hanta virus......inhaling or ingesting mouse dropping (i.e. feces, urine) can contract it. I believe it is hemorrhegic.
|

replied February 26th, 2011
Hi, i went through something similar. we tried to build an extension onto the side of our apartment. we built it on a budget so it was a DIY job, hence no insulation or ventilation. within a couple of weeks i noticed some black mould spores appearing on the dry lining, thought nothing of it, then weeks past and one of the walls was getting really bad and it start spreading to the other walls. like an idiot i opened the extension door for ventilation and the smell of mould started soming into the living room, rapidly i found it more and more difficult to breathe especially at night, my breathing saterted to get so bad i went to the doctors they gave me an inhaler to take at night. it helped for an hour or two each night but it made by breathing nearly impossible in the mornings, i went back to the docs, he then gave me the strongest inhaler you can get and said it "is not" the mould. i decided to move back in with my parents to see if my breathing got better. it did and within 2 weeks my breathing wasd nearly perfect again. i then got my apartment irrigated from all mould spores and blocked up the extension again. within 2 months it was like it never happened. oh and i read into mould a lot while i was back in my parents and i found out if you have a reaction to mould it effects you psychologically and physically. the physical side is difficulty breathing, coughin constantly, lung infections, asthma, pain in eys. the psychological side is the terrible feeling that mould has actually got inside you, yes i had all those feelings and it was as nasty as it sounds. i hope you and your family get away from mould as soon as you can. it is the most under-rated threat out there.
|