Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Thinning, Effacement, Dilation....huh?

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
can someone clarify some of this for me? i'm just wondering how it works with dilation. like, if you are 1 cm dilated, say, does it follow that you have to have some thinning or effacement of the cervix? do they happen at the same time or one before the other or what? i'm a little confused. i kind of had thought that the cervix had to be thinned out in order for it to begin dilating, but i could have that backwards. or they could happen at the same time.

Confused anyone? Question
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 20th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I found this about enfacement and dilation, hope it helps some.

As the baby's head drops down into the pelvis, it pushes against the cervix and causes the cervix to relax and thin out, or efface. Effacement is described as a percentage. For example, if your cervix is not effaced at all, it is 0% effaced. If the cervix has completely thinned, it is 100% effaced. After the cervix begins to efface, it will also begin to open (dilatation). Cervical dilatation is expressed in centimeters from 0 to 10. Zero means that the cervix is closed, and 10 means that it is completely dilated
|

replied July 20th, 2007
Most Diplomatic Poster
so, basically they are kind of happening at the same time but the thinning starts first? that's what i'm thinking. i've been reading about it too. lol. insomnia strikes again!
|

User Profile
replied July 20th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
kaerbear wrote:
so, basically they are kind of happening at the same time but the thinning starts first? that's what i'm thinking. i've been reading about it too. lol. insomnia strikes again!

Yea, I think that's how it works. Don't quote me on it though, I just read stuff. lol. I'm wide awake but I've been sleeping all day! These headaches are driving me up the wall!
|

replied July 20th, 2007
Most Diplomatic Poster
do you usually get headaches? cuz if your blood pressure is high and you're having headaches you should check with the doctor about that. i don't know too much about it because my blood pressure has been fine throughout.

i'm 3 days away form my due date and just thinking too much i guess. i'm a little impatient at this stage so i'm overanalysing every twinge i get.

my doctor told me on tuesday that i'm 1cm dilated but said nothing about effacement, so i was just wondering about all that. trying to predict the unpredictable i guess. Wink
|

User Profile
replied July 20th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Well I tell my doctor about my headaches every time I go in there, and all she does is marks it on my chart. Last time I told her, she looked concerned, but didn't mention anything about it.

Wow, so close to your due date. Hopefully you'll go into labor soon. i know my cousin was 1 cm dilated up until she was induced 3 days before her due date, so who knows. At least you'll have your baby in your arms before you know it. Very Happy
|