Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Blood Pressure? 140/90

Must Read
What exactly is blood pressure in the first place? And how can you know if your blood pressure is either high OR low?...
Millions of American have blood pressure problems. Learn what can put you at risk of high or low blood pressure here....
High blood pressure and low blood pressure manifest physical symptoms. Learn the signs of hypertension and hypotension here....
User Profile
Hey there! I forgot to mention this yesterday...too shocked about having a boy. My fiance still doesn't believe it, since my doctor didn't seem sure of it either. Who knows. Good thing I have another ultrasound in a week!

Anyway, when I went to the doctors yesterday, the nurse said that my blood pressure was high at 140/90. Yet my doctor didn't mention anything about it. Maybe it was the fact that it was just crazy there yesterday, since they overbooked all her appointments. I was shoved in and out and had a quick u/s to try to determine the gender, and didn't even have time to ask questions. I always bring up the fact that I have constant headaches, and last time she mentioned that my blood pressure "wasn't low", but this time I didn't even have a chance to mention that.

So now I'm confused, isn't my reading high? Also, my nurse forgot to have me leave an urine sample until after I had already seen my doctor, so I don't if that would make any difference in my doctor being concerned.

I was wondering, shouldn't my doctor be more concerned or am I just concerned for nothing?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 20th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I think with a reading like that they will more than likely watch you, or keep a good watch on it. From what i have heard, and read about that is high for pregnancy. And i think i read that your BP is suppose to be a bit lower than normal in your second trimester (correct me if i'm wrong) Mine was high at one visit at about 130 over something i don't remember, and the next visit it was 122 over something. SO you might have just been excited. I would suggest maybe checking it a couple times a week from now until your next. If it stays that high i would get in to talk to her about it. I'm going to buy a BP thingy for home next time i'm at walmart just cause high BP runs in my family badly. And my mom was put on her BP pills at age 24 Sad Sadly thats the age i am
|

User Profile
replied July 20th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Yea high blood pressure runs in my family. I'm just always concerned about everything right now, because I don't want to end up on bedrest or anything like that since I'll be in school starting next month. Hopefully it was only high that reading, but I've been told it's high before I was pregnant, so who knows.
|

User Profile
replied July 20th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Yeah i'm really scared of that too. My BP before i was pregnant was ok. Not high, but not normal. Right in the middle. But i'm terrified any part of a high risk pregnancy. I don't know what we would do on only one income. I'm not in school, but i know we would be in bad shape. I have been having bad headaches too, but my dads side of the family i have 3 aunts that are on meds for really bad, and constant migranes. So headaches are not out of the ordanary for me. And with my first pregnancy i had headaches from day on to the day i gave birth. And i didn't have any problems with her at all. So i just pray that that stays the same this time. Keep me posted. I hope Everything goes good for you!
|

User Profile
replied July 20th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
my blood pressure was hgh when i was pregnant with jordynne prob around where yours is at not like really high where theyd be really worried but they told me to keep an eye on it and if i got headaches or swelling to let them now right away so with the headaches id suggest calling your dr up about your concerns. they may want to monitor you and the baby more closely to make sure you dont develope pre eclampsia.
|

User Profile
replied July 20th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Thats the same sort of reading I get for my bp. 140/90 isnt really high, its described as borderline high and they will probably just keep an eye on it to check it doesnt go any higher. At the moment it isnt high enough to cause you any problems and I imagine they wont do to much about it for now. You have mentioned that high bp runs in your family so they will take that into consideration too.
After 20 weeks alot of women who have higher bp's find it sorts out for themselves. Its to do with hormones dropping or something!! In my early weeks my bp was always 145/90 or higher and after 20 weeks mine dropped. Untill the last few weeks were its rising again! Maybe if your bp stays higher after this time they may look into it more closely I dont know. Confused
Have the headaches just started since you became pregnant? I suffered with headaches really badly around 17 weeks and my midwife didnt seem worried at that time either. She just told me to take paracetamol when needed. They too stopped not long after they started for me tho!
I hope you start feeling better soon. Ask your doctor about your bp next time your there but at the moment I dont think you have much to worry about providing it doesnt rise! Smile
Hmmm I hope this made sense! Confused Laughing
|

User Profile
replied July 20th, 2007
Experienced User
My blood pressure was high for one reading (154/75 i think) so the doctor has me going for non-stress tests twice a week since about 28 weeks.
He told me I need to watch out if the baby stops moving, if I get spots in my vision, or if i get a headache that won't go away with tylenol.

I am sure you will be fine but I don't think that's right that you should feel lost because they are in such a rush. I don't think thats fair to the patient. but I am sure that if it was something to be worried about they would have had you set up with something else because when the doc worried about my bp, he ordered me to collect a 24 hour urine sample, and that was not a fun thing.

take care
~Katie
|

User Profile
replied July 20th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Jolie_3110 wrote:

Have the headaches just started since you became pregnant? I suffered with headaches really badly around 17 weeks and my midwife didnt seem worried at that time either. She just told me to take paracetamol when needed. They too stopped not long after they started for me tho!
I hope you start feeling better soon. Ask your doctor about your bp next time your there but at the moment I dont think you have much to worry about providing it doesnt rise! Smile
Hmmm I hope this made sense! Confused Laughing

Well the headaches started when i was like 15 weeks pregnant, and I tell her every time I go in there. And tylenol doesn't work on them, and I told her that too. Hopefully it's nothing to be concerned about, but I will definetely ask her when I see her again. Thanks!
|