Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Am I Pregnant Forum

Pregnant While Using Nuva Ring?

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
I am 28 with three children two of which are mine biologically and Monday I went to the doctor for my yearly pap and to renew my BC. I have been on Nuvaring for the past few years with no problems and regular periods. I have been having some headaches so she decided to do some blood work to try and figure it out. She called me Tuesday and said to stop my BC because I was pregnant! I have been on BC for a year without a break, no missed periods, and my husband withdraws as a back up. I took three home tests all negative. When I stopped BC in the past I always would spot and bleed. This morning I started to bleed bright red not much I didn't need a pantyliner or anything and now it has slowed even more and is more brown. I have had no cramping nor any other signs of pregnancy. The OBGYN can't get me in until mid August and no one returned my call this morning. Has anyone had anything similar happen? Is my body just adjusting to coming off the BC? Am I even pregnant? I am really confused! Confused
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper kris1133
|

replied July 19th, 2007
Experienced User
if you had bloods done, and they came back with the pregnancy hormone, then yes you are pregnant. The bloods dont lie. I personally havent had that experience but have heard of others with similar experiences. Are you happy about the pregnancy? And feel blessed that you dont have a lot of problems or symptoms, i know a lot of the girls here would love to be in your boat!
|

replied July 19th, 2007
Thank you for your reply.

kerryn wrote:
And feel blessed that you dont have a lot of problems or symptoms, i know a lot of the girls here would love to be in your boat!

That is one of my concerns is that I am bleeding and have no symptoms. I normally would be very ill. With both my other pregnancies I lost around 20lbs in the first trimester due to "morning" sickness. This was not planned but I love babies and am concerned about this bleeding (which is now picking up a little) and the doctor did not return my call.
|

replied July 19th, 2007
Experienced User
trust your instincts, and if you think there is something to be worried about, head to the hospital. you know your body best, and you know if somethings wrong, so listen to your instincts. Do you know how far along you are?
|

replied September 2nd, 2009
Prego symptoms while on NuvaRing
I am having some similar issues. I have been having a lot of pregnancy related symptoms for the past month. I have taken two home tests and both have come back negative. I am still on my BC as of right now, will be calling the DR this week to get some blood work done. It is possible for the hormones in the NuvaRing could affect the results of a urine test? I am scared and nervous now. I have 2 little ones now, and have been on NuvaRing for 11 months now-no breaks or misses!
|

replied September 10th, 2009
Answer and help!!
The NuvaRing will not affect a urine test. I think that I got pregnant and had a miscarriage without knowing about it on the NuvaRing but my doctor told me not to worry about it..which thinking that i may have miscarried, I am def worried. I had prego symptoms which included nausa,fatigue lower back aches, but then started my period the bleeding was normal and only lasted 4 days, but then I had a yellowish mucas discharge for 3 days then extream heavy bleeding and cramping for a week, then back to normal bleeding. I don't know what happened but the doctor urine test came back negative for pregnancy, now I'm thinking I might actually be prego but in case I'm not, I haven't stopped my BC...any answers please???
|

replied September 23rd, 2009
Hi Everyone
I have 3 kids(really young)and i been on the nuvaring for 8 months now for the past 2 months i been feeling pregnant headache nausea tired all the time feeling dizzy the whole package and took pregnancy test came back negatif blood test came back negatif could i still be pregnant and i did have my periods...Just concern if its the nuvaring make me feel like this because if it is dont really like it
|

replied April 3rd, 2011
what to think?
I have a 7 month old and have been on nuva ring for 6 months, during my last round i forgot to change it and it was in for about 5 or 6 weeks, then out for 1 or 2. I was getting my period around the 18th each month and have yet to get one. I have taken 4 tests over the past 3 weeks, all negative. I have had a loss of appetite and some nausea like I had with my last pregnancy. What should I do?
|

replied November 15th, 2011
I have been using nuvaring since March and been very good with putting and taking it out on time. Last month i started bleeding before it was time to take it out and I've read that breakthrough bleeding can occur but when i did take it out my cycle was very light didn't even need a tampon. Now i am having nausea, pain in my abdomen, and pain in my abdomen during sex just like when i was pregnant with my first child. Could i be pregnant because i am very worried?
|

replied November 15th, 2011
Community Volunteer
The chances are very very small, but it is not impossible. Take a pregnancy test and find out.

Best of luck!!
|

replied December 7th, 2011
cud i be prego on the nuvaring
ive been on the nuvaring for bout 2weeks now and wen i had just put it in me nd my bf had unprotected sex nd he came in me nd ive been haven the symtoms of pregnancy but im not to sure cud i be prego?? or is it the results of the nuvaring?
|

replied January 11th, 2012
Hi all. I have been on nuvaring for almost 4 months. I was off of it for about 2-3 weeks in dec. I was not having sex for the past few months. Then I put it in on dec 28th and had sex that night (and haven't since). After that I started feeling more nauseas and tired than normal. I took out my ring on friday cuz of slight cramping. Now im still having slight cramping here and there but nothing major... but I still haven't gotten my period and I should have by now... im starting to worry. I already have one kid (3yrs old) and had one miscarriage already last yr... im not sure im ready for another child after that huge upset. Do u think its possible im pregnant? I have been trying to hold off on taking a test to see if the period comes but im fearing it might be time to just give in and do it... what do u think?
|

replied January 20th, 2012
hi everyone im 19 years old and have been using nuvaring for about 3-4 months now, my boyfriend never uses a condom and always goes in me. this week was my week to take out my ring for my monthly. i took it out and only got my period for not even a day. ive been feeling nauses and tiredness, my stomach even feels like it got a little biger even though its not. ive been craving things but not alot. ive had some pain in my lower back but not alot and side stomach pains but not bad. i know that theres not likely to happen but should i take a prego test or go to my doctor for a blood test?
|

replied August 4th, 2012
can nuvaring cause me stop having periods?
I have been on nuvaring for little over a year my periods was normal then a couple months ago it went from 3-4 days to 1-2 days spotting this i was supposed to start last Monday but didn't i took a pregnancy test came out negative.
|