Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Scared of Death (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
User Profile
Ok to start off with im 21 and im almost constantly thinking about death not that I want to kill myself.. but just thinkin that someday i wont exist anymore just makes me crazy... about a month ago .. for a week straight all i could do was talk and think about death.. i would cry and couldnt do anything without thinking about it... i thought i had went crazy now its a little less intense but at least 10 times a day i think about it... Im so scared of everything.. its ridiculous.. pretty much everything i do i can find a threat in it that makes its dangerous and that it could kill me... my mother passed away last year, ive asked myself alot of questions about life and death since but now its just become an obsession.. i often get depressed thinkin theres no point in life if someday ill dissapear.. i dont really believe that there is something after death... if there would be there would be an afterlife for everything that has life... wouldnt there be ? why us as humans would have one more than a dog? humans just developped enough to get intelligent an realise that there is death.. and so to not pass our time about being scared of it they created religions and all that stuff so that we believe there is something after... kinda rediculous, were just not facing reality... i wish i could live my life not thinking like this i dont know what to do... im tired of being scared and that death is taking over my life... i often get anxiety attacks when thinking of this... im so scared.. i really cant accept that someday it will all be over for me
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile NiCOu
|

User Profile
replied July 19th, 2007
Experienced User
Re: Scared of Death
NiCOu wrote:
Ok to start off with im 21 and im almost constantly thinking about death not that I want to kill myself.. but just thinkin that someday i wont exist anymore just makes me crazy... about a month ago .. for a week straight all i could do was talk and think about death.. i would cry and couldnt do anything without thinking about it... i thought i had went crazy now its a little less intense but at least 10 times a day i think about it... Im so scared of everything.. its ridiculous.. pretty much everything i do i can find a threat in it that makes its dangerous and that it could kill me... my mother passed away last year, ive asked myself alot of questions about life and death since but now its just become an obsession.. i often get depressed thinkin theres no point in life if someday ill dissapear.. i dont really believe that there is something after death... if there would be there would be an afterlife for everything that has life... wouldnt there be ? why us as humans would have one more than a dog? humans just developped enough to get intelligent an realise that there is death.. and so to not pass our time about being scared of it they created religions and all that stuff so that we believe there is something after... kinda rediculous, were just not facing reality... i wish i could live my life not thinking like this i dont know what to do... im tired of being scared and that death is taking over my life... i often get anxiety attacks when thinking of this... im so scared.. i really cant accept that someday it will all be over for me

First off, it is very normal after the death of a loved one to feel the reality of it. Losing your mom is th hardest death a young person goes thru, and you are young so Im guessing her death was untimely. I lost both my parents very very young. So you are feeling anxiety Im sure.
You dont know any more than anyone else what happens after we die, so your scenario is inaccurate information you made up. Not all belief systems were invented by the Western church, it might be interesting for you to read about them. It is normal for all of us to want to learn about the universe, and how we fit in for all of eternity. Your mom's death just brought it up sooner for you.
You should talk to someone about your anxiety, a doctor or a therapist. No one can give you a satisfactory factual explanation of death, but you are feeling a lot of anxiety and focusing it all on this issue. It is still very soon after losing your mom, and things have probably been tough on you emtionally. YOu might want to try medication or therapy. There are also groups for people who have lost family members, I have been to several. PM me if you want to talk.
|
Users who thank metalcrystal for this post: Fairy Godmother  NiCOu 

replied November 16th, 2008
i feel the exact same way
i'm only 16, though, and i haven't recently had an important death or anything. i also am not constantly thinking about it, but when i do it deeply haunts me and i often cry and cannot stop thinking about it. this morning i cried about it, which is why i searched online for other people who feel the same way haha... obviously this is very late, but i feel the exact same way, especially the part about not believing in an after-life. (i was not brought up religious or anything and even have trouble believing in god.) i'm incredibly scared of having no thoughts, no feelings; of being non-existant. i don't know what to do and i hope one day i will get over this fear Sad
|
Users who thank marrrrgo for this post: NiCOu 

User Profile
replied November 16th, 2008
Experienced User
fear of death
I think about that a lot too, especially when I am feeling anxious. I think you are having anxiety and it is finding something scary to focus on. Also Marrrgo, re-read my second paragragh until it sinks in. You are making up a view of the afterlife that is your anxiety talking. YOu are probably a very dark and spiritual person, and religion is not what I am talking about. Spiritual people wonder about other things besides the physical. Being dark just means you like the moon not the sun, night not the day, you wonder about death as much as life. And if your friends and family dont think about it as much, we are totally in the minority anyways. Are you into art at all? A lot of artists have this side. let me know if you want 2 talk more, Crystal
|

replied November 17th, 2008
Fear of Death
NiCOu, first of all... you realize that only humans can fear death? Trees cant. Animals cant. No seriously. Animals may fear getting killed, or eaten. But they cannot fear Death as a concept.

Animals dont sit around asking,

"Is this all there is to life?"
"Where do I go after death."
"Will I ever see my loved ones again?"

You have a gift of being able to project the existential nature of life. Only problem is that you're using that gift to keep you depressed and anxious. You and I know life is short... short supply = precious. Take full advantage of it... What you're doing is called a misappropriation of valuable commodoties.

I call party foul!
|
Users who thank biodrux for this post: Fairy Godmother  NiCOu  jroden07 

User Profile
replied November 17th, 2008
Supporter
Keep N it Real
biodrux, again you have won me with your widsom....but.....sometimes, we need to break it down in simple terms......
We have a choice in everything we do. We can choose to be happy or choose to be sad. Life is short. We have the choice of living every minute to its fullest, or we may choose to waste every second dreading something we may never know..It took me a very long time and "defying death 3 times" to learn......when I wake up in the morning, I thank God I am alive, I can smell, I can see, I can hear and I can feel. I turn anything around me thats negative into something postivie. Negative energy will swallow you whole if you let it. I also fell its a control thing.....I'm gonna take control of my life, live it for all its worth and not think about what happens once I am finished here on earth. I am not afraid of death. If its my last breath, I hope someone will say....hey, she went out with a bang! Think POSITIVE thoughts!
|
Users who thank Fairy Godmother for this post: NiCOu 

replied February 16th, 2009
do you ever think...
...that you think about death so much because you are dying? i get this horrible feeling that maybe i only think about it so much because my days are numbered now! it terrifies me, i can't breathe when i think about it too hard. i've had anxiety over death for years now and it's so overwhelming. so glad to hear it isnt just me that thinks and gets anxious about these things.
|
Users who thank priminha for this post: NiCOu 

replied February 19th, 2009
My greatest fear
I lost my husband about 15 years ago, and ever since my life has changed. I am alway thinking of death. If I get a pain in my body I think it is something serious and I will be dead in the morning. I actually have days where I don't eat, because if I have to have emergency surgery I shouldn't have eaten anything. My point is that I get so scarred from a pain because I think it will lead to death. My most feared thing in life is...dying. I have been told because you can't controll it. I think that is true to some extent, but is it the unkown. My kids will say mom I will love you even after you die. (they are very small) I say, oh mommy is going to live forever. It keeps me from doing many things and can make days seem like weeks.
|
Users who thank kinnear for this post: NiCOu 

replied June 9th, 2009
I know this is an old thread, but I really can relate to the original poster.

I'm 22 and the only person close to me I ever lost was my grandmother, and that was when i was around 15.

I took a 27 hour busride, and became fixated on the idea of death. I'm not suicidal, I want to live for as long as I can, i wish we could live forever, but we can't. It's a constant fear, and I remain fixated on the idea.

It ruins my days, to the point that I have trouble keeping track of time. Its almost like I'm living between the moments of fear.

I am afraid.

If anyone has any solution, I appreciate it, but maybe not since this thread is dead. I plan to see a counsellor soon.

M
|
Users who thank TheMonsterMan for this post: NiCOu 

replied June 11th, 2009
Hi M you are really not alone, I have wasted at least 30 years of my life worrying about dying, I lost my mother very young and suffered depression and panic attacks for years, it takes years to realise that this is out of our control, and I still think about it, but I am trying hard to concentrate on what ever time I have left on this planet and trying hard to be positive, as I have always been quite a negative person but I do not even know why, so I just put it down to grief as thats the first thing I remember, as I used to go about saying whats the point, why bother, dont go on an aeroplane as it might crash, or go on a ship as it might sink, lol I cannot beleive I wasted so many years of my life, I cannot get them back, but I am surely going to try and enjoy every day like it is my last, so good luck and I hope all the people on this thread manage to change their lives around

MM Smile
|

User Profile
replied June 11th, 2009
Experienced User
There really is no unknown about death! if anyone is willing i would like to share with you what the Bible tells us about this subject. Your choice no pressure.
I'd like to help.
|

replied August 1st, 2013
I would very much like to hear what you have to say on this if you are still using this forum. not sure how long ago your post was but I am dealing with this same issue. Please feel free to contact me. thanks.
|

replied June 13th, 2009
hi timeisshort by all means share with me if you like what it says in the bible, thanks MM Smile
|

replied August 2nd, 2009
death
hi im 16 and i just realized today that everybody on earth is gonna die one day and the thought of my death came flashing before my eyes it was so dark horrible i couldnt get out my head so id sit and cry on my knees and pray that God would give me strength and not fear death then id play my guitar it got my mind off it i think the best thing to do is not think about it and keep busy so be positive keep the negative things awaay cuz its prolly the devil tryn to bring u down when the day comes it will come just worry about today
|

User Profile
replied August 2nd, 2009
Experienced User
Marrchie, so sorry that i haven't replied sooner. even though i had tis marked to notify it didn't seem to until rockerchik replied.
the following is a comentary that lists verses directly out of the Bible hope all can gain something out of it. I am here to talk with anyone about it if so desired.

Published on Bibleinfo.com (http://www.bibleinfo.com)

Home > Death

------------------------------------------ --------------------------------------

Death
By Anonymous
Created 07/28/2008 - 23:47

How can we face death? We need not be afraid if God is with us. It's in the Bible, Psalm 23:4, TLB. "Even when walking through the dark valley of death I will not be afraid, for You are close beside me, guarding, guiding all the way."

What is death like? It is like falling asleep. It's in the Bible, I Thessalonians 4:13, NIV. "Brothers, we do not want you to be ignorant about those who fall asleep, or to grieve like the rest of men, who have no hope." and in John 11:11-14, NIV. "After He had said this, He went on to tell them, 'Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep; but I am going there to wake him up.' His disciples replied, 'Lord, if he sleeps, he will get better.' Jesus had been speaking of his death, but His disciples thought He meant natural sleep. So then He told them plainly, 'Lazarus is dead'."

Where does Daniel say the dead are sleeping? It's in the Bible, Daniel 12:2, NIV. "Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake."

Do the dead know anything? It's in the Bible, Ecclesiastes 9:5-6, 10, NIV. "For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing; they have no further reward, and even the memory of them is forgotten. Their love, their hate and their jealousy have long since vanished; never again will they have a part in anything that happens under the sun� Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the grave, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom."

But death is not the end! It's in the Bible, Isaiah 26:19, NIV. "But your dead will live; their bodies will rise. You who dwell in the dust, wake up and shout for joy."

What does Jesus promise those who die? It's in the Bible, Hosea 13:14, NIV. "I will ransom them from the power of the grave; I will redeem them from death."

Resurrection power comes from Christ. It's in the Bible, I Corinthians 15:21-22, NIV. "For since death came through a man, the resurrection of the dead comes also through a man. For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive."

Why did God give His Son to the world? It's in the Bible, John 3:16, NIV. "For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life."

Both good and evil people are resurrected. It's in the Bible, John 5:28-29, NIV. "Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear His voice and come out�those who have done good will rise to live, and those who have done evil will rise to be condemned."

The righteous are resurrected at the second coming of Christ. It's in the Bible, I Thessalonians 4:16-17, NIV. "For the Lord Himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air."

What will we be like after the resurrection? It's in the Bible, Philippians 3:20-21, NIV. "But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables Him to bring everything under His control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like His glorious body."

How long will the resurrected righteous live? It's in the Bible, Luke 20:36, NIV. "And they can no longer die; for they are like the angels. They are God's children, since they are children of the resurrection."

How long do the wicked wait after the first resurrection before they are raised? It's in the Bible, Revelation 20:4-5, NIV. "They [the righteous] came to life and reigned with Christ a thousand years. (The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended.)"

What is their fate? It's in the Bible, Revelation 20:9, NIV. "Fire came down from heaven and devoured them."

Who are the wicked? It's in the Bible, Revelation 21:8, NIV. "But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars�their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death."

(For additional information on Death, see the
Common Questions/ section.)

Copyright © 2009, Bibleinfo.com
Ã˜Â§Ã™ï¿½Ã˜Â¹Ã˜Â±Ã˜Â¨Ã™ï¿½Ã˜Â©Ã§Â®ï¿½Ã¤Â½ï ¿½Ã¤Â¸Â­Ã¦ï¿½ï¿½Ã§Â¹ï¿½Ã©Â«ï¿½Ã¤Â¸Â­Ã¦ï¿½ï ¿½EnglishFrançaisDeutschÎ�λλÎ ·Î½Î¹ÎºÎ¬Ã�slenskaBahasa IndonesiaItalianoÃ¦ï¿½Â¥Ã¦ï¿½Â¬Ã¨Âªï¿½Ã­ï¿ ½ï¿½ÃªÂµÂ­Ã¬ï¿½Â´NorskPortuguêsRomân �Р���кийEspaà ±olKiswahiliSvenska

------------------------------------------ --------------------------------------

Source URL: http://www.bibleinfo.com/en/topics/death
|

User Profile
replied August 2nd, 2009
Hey, im 20 years old, and i know exactly how you are feeling, i would stress so much over the fact that were all going die, wich is true, WE ALL DIE, and im learning to accept that...so far so good, ....think positive...fall inlove Very Happy
|
Users who thank JennaLynn for this post: NiCOu 

replied August 6th, 2009
I know how you feel.
Up until a few months ago,I had this same problem.I constantly thought about my death and it got to the point where I was to scared to leave my house for fear that I would be killed.I don't know exactly what happened,but I'm not as scared of it now.I told myself that death was something that was going to happen no matter what I did.What also helped was telling myself that when I was dead,I'd be in a better place,or I wouldn't be conscious,so I wouldn't even know I was dead.I think most people are afraid of death at some point.Maybe some people are less afraid than others,but we get a little horrified when we think of no longer existing.There are still times when I think about it and try to find a way to make myself immortal,but then I come to my senses and realize that it's impossible not to die.
|
Users who thank Cortney for this post: NiCOu 

User Profile
replied September 28th, 2009
Wow.. its been over 2 years now since my post and I want to thank everyone .. It helps to see that im not alone in this situation even tho now ive been doing alot better I still think about it often but it doesnt seem to freak me out as much.. I still get the occasional panic attack but i've had those since I remember.. It's hard when you have thoughts like that running through your mind 24/7 and you just want to live like everyone else! In someway I feel like if I think like this in someway i kind of realize things that alot of people dont or they just don't take the time to think about or do not just care at all.. But I shouldnt let these thoughts get the best of me and we should all live our lives at the fullest.. I now take it as being more conscious about life and how lucky all of us are to be living right now at this time ! It sucks that we all die one day.. and when i start thinkin about it I try to get myself occupied and do something to change my mind.. If were lucky someday they will invent that little pill that will make us immortal Wink ... anyways if anyone wants to talk just write to me .. It just helps so much to know your not alone in situations like this.. ive tried talking to some people about how i feel.. No one seemed to understand! Take care of yourselves xxxx
|
Users who thank NiCOu for this post: Fairy Godmother 

replied March 25th, 2012
i kno this was over 3yrs Sad but i cant stop im going to be 19 this year and ive had theses thoughts since my 15th birthday! i talk to my boyfriend about it and it just freaks him out and he says i should even think that way its not right he tells me to b like him and not care but he doesnt understand how i cnt get over it in a second. i just need help idk wat to do but everytime i think about it i panic, i feel like throwing, i cry, and i just spend about half my day just wanting to curl up in a ball or crawl under a rock and cry. PLEASE HELP!!
|

replied March 25th, 2012
i kno this was over 3yrs Sad but i cant stop im going to be 19 this year and ive had theses thoughts since my 15th birthday! i talk to my boyfriend about it and it just freaks him out and he says i should even think that way its not right he tells me to b like him and not care but he doesnt understand how i cnt get over it in a second. i just need help idk wat to do but everytime i think about it i panic, i feel like throwing, i cry, and i just spend about half my day just wanting to curl up in a ball or crawl under a rock and cry. PLEASE HELP!!
|

replied February 28th, 2010
Death
I just searched for this very topic! I think about the end of my existence with unimaginable fear in the pit of my stomach. It comes in waves and makes me shake mostly when I'm in bed alone. If my girlfriend is working (she's a nurse). She deals with death every day but never fears it herself. I manage to function and have a good job and life but this seems to be getting worse I fear I may have psycological problems. I have been treated for depression before when I lost alot of family members in a short space of time. I think this is also relted to my fear of flying too. Thanks for listening as typing this makes me feel a little better.
|

User Profile
replied March 1st, 2010
Hey! We all need to talk about it! But its hard to talk about it with someone who doesnt feel the same way.. Most of the people i know i ask them 'arent you scared of dyin? just disapearing?' 'can you accept that one day you wont be able to even think?' like the only thing we really have is ourself and we end up loosin it anyway! No.. its like no one thinks about it, alot of people tell me .. oh theres people waiting for me on the otherside.. theres something after.. ! Ya.. whatever.. i know im so scared of death because im so sure that theres nothing after.. you live you die.. and it freakin gets to me so bad sometimes.. i feel like ive realised something other people just put way back in their mind and forget about it.. keep themselves up.. I still get thoses thoughts often .. i just try not to think about it so much..its hard and i really hate being paranoid about death so much.. if anyone wants to talk about just write me ... take care
|

User Profile
replied March 2nd, 2010
hey, im 17 and i have anxitey, i walways think about it because of the pain side of things my pain is sooo bad its unbelievable, an i cant stand it anymore, its being haping for a year now and iv been to hospital because of the pains, but they say there is nothing wrong with me. I got my anxitey of cannibis and i wish to seek help.
|