Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Lump On Trachea

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
Several years ago I noticed a small lump on the side of my trachea which was soft to the touch but not painful at all. Over several days it became larger and began to interfere when swallowing, that is kind of clicking when the lump rolled over the normal trachea movement. I was living in Japan at the time and after an ultrasound, the doctor said that while 99% sure not a cancer, it was some kind of sac filled with fluid that could only be operated out unless it went away by itself. I dont recall well his analysis but something along those lines if I remember correctly.
Well, it started to get smaller and then went away completely.

Until now about three years later! I woke up one morning with discomfort in the same area thinking I had slept in a bad neck position. The area started to swell over a few days and started to become the same shape and location as the lump several years before.
While not having gone to the Doctor as yet, the lump has not only increased larger than last time, but it is also painful when swallowing and painful to touch. The area is quite swollen more than the first time.

I am wondering if anyone knows what this may be and what the first Doctor meant by some sac on the trachea from childhood - or something to that effect? Perhaps it is infected causing greater swelling/discomfort this time? There are no other symptoms at all except for the swelling on the neck.

Grateful any advice if someone may be familiar with this! Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 9th, 2009
i have the same thing- lump on the right anterior sideof my trachea, seems like between the trach and spine, aligned with c2 or c3. sometimes it clicks when i swallow or turn to the right. my husband thinks i'm crazy, but i've had it now for about 10 months. it doesn't get bigger, and usually doesn't hurt. but sometimes it feels sore. i'm thinking i have a bulging disc and it causes the lump sensation on the front. but maybe it's some of the suprahyoid muscles that are too hypertense?
|

replied April 5th, 2011
Hi! I'm wondering if you have bee evaluated since your last post and what the diagnosis turned out to be. I have the exact same nodule that clicks with movement and swallowing. I thought I was crazy, but feel reassured that I am not alone. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you!
|

replied April 5th, 2011
Hi! I'm wondering if you have bee evaluated since your last post and what the diagnosis turned out to be. I have the exact same nodule that clicks with movement and swallowing. I thought I was crazy, but feel reassured that I am not alone. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you!
|

replied March 30th, 2010
i'm getting a ct of my throat tomorrow for a similar problem. for six months i've had an issue, in that if i profoundly yawn or sneeze, something in my throat dislodges and forms a lump on the left lateral side of my trachea. i literally have to grab my trachea and shift it back into place. today i woke up with the left side of my throat swollen and sore to the touch. difficult to swallow and to move head to the right-no sore throat, just a sore neck. went to see my dr. and he definitely felt a protrusion. any similar cases please reply back! any information on a contrived hunch of cartilinigous stretching or rubbing of it against the hyoid?? only 22 a little nervous!!
|

replied February 16th, 2012
dtterrin, I was wondering if you ever found out what the problem was and how to fix it, Im only 19 and I have the exact same symptoms that you are describing.
|