Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vascular and Circulatory Disorders Forum

Itchy Fingers And Toes

Hey everyone. I am hoping someone out there has some advice. I think I have circulation issues in my fingers and toes. Recently, the fingers have started. I am so frustrated!! When both my hands and feet get hot and sweaty, they turn red on their own and unbelievabley itch. My skin is not dry at all. They just go bright red! It usually happens when I am lying down or sitting. Please help!!!!! Ps. My mother has had the same problem for years but she has scratched so much over the years the skin is beyond repair. Crying or Very sad
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 12th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Reminds me of my raynaud's symptoms, or possibly poor circulation (which is essentially what raynauds is but there can be other causes for poor circulation too) or allergies might cause these symptoms. Go see your dr &/or check on a search engine for symptoms of poor circulation, raynauds.

There are vitamins which can help, I suggest you check for natural remedies or natural relief for raynauds or for circulation problems. I don't take anything as i've learnt to control it, I don't put my hands into hot water (i never checked the kids baths!! As raynauds usually means you can't feel how hot the water is, in fact in severe cases people have burnt their hands & not known until they smelt their flesh burning) also I don't hold cold things for long or allow my hands & feet to get cold as this has a negative affect on them in terms of redness & itch etc.
|

replied March 12th, 2004
Thanks
Thank you for your advice. What vitamins or treatment has worked for you. How long have you had this.
|

replied March 12th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
The vitamin is "gingko bilboa" take a high dose & then adjust to suit yourself, also vitamins that assist liver & kidney function as these organs cleanse the blood & so that would help aid improved circulation.

Treatment wise - keep your hands & feet warm (not hot or cold) keep them out of/away from very hot things/water & out of/away from very cold water/things.
|

replied December 11th, 2009
pooling of blood in hands, circulation problems
GINGKO BILOBA is NOT a vitamin, it is an herb which has adverse side affects in high doses or for certain populations of people. This is bad advice. Research nutrition and talk to a dietician or nutritionist. Vitamins are essential for life and health. Lack of any vitamins in the diet or due to malabsorption can result in poor health and even death. Beriberi is one example of a vitamin deficiency causing ill health and eventually death if left untreated. Drugs do nothing but mask the symptoms of a poor diet.
|

replied April 16th, 2010
Pooling of blood in hands
lillie6 is right. You need to be careful when taking vitamins too much of any vitamin is horrible for your system. You could possibly overdose your body of that vitamin and get very sick. Dont keep checking online because there are SO many things this could be, you should have gone to see a doctor the moment it started happening maybe it could have been stopped before it got too bad. Unless your a doctor do not give advice, just because it is your own opinion and has '' worked'' for you, does not mean it is correct and you could be giving advice that will harm others!.

GO SEE A NUTRITIONIST and then a DOCTOR. Do not find remedys from other people!!
|

replied February 22nd, 2013
Hi,
Just to let you know I've had horrendous itching in fingers and toes - coming from inside, not atopic like contact dermatitis or eczema or anything - for a few years now and was desperately looking for a cure, and I believe I've found it. My cure seems to be sugar! i.e. avoiding it completely. I also had huge splits on the skin of my fingers which have almost completely healed after just 10 days sugar-free.

It's early days so experimenting if have to cut absolutely all sources of sugar or not (e.g. I've had a small amount of fruit). But in the last 10 days I've had absolutely no itching at all!!!!!! Just a little hotness and swelling in the fingers when I eat. I'm trying to stick to eating a lot of proteins (although I don't digest them well so still have to have carbs), but I find any carbs will set my hands off swelling, getting really hot, skin getting tight and cracking again. But this is improving every day.

I always suspected sugar was the cause (I've been a sugar overeater for >50 years!) but couldn't understand why exercise would set it off too, and so thought it might be more complicated than just one food item. That was a red herring tho, cos exercise merely releases sugar into blood stream from stores in body, e.g. from liver - more research needed by me - but I’m so excited wanted to come back onto forums to tell people! And importantly see if it helps any one else.

Also apparently starvation (I used to go long periods in the day without eating so I could eat more at night) and possibly gall stones - again more research needed - causes the liver to kick out bile salts into blood stream which get into the skin and cause terrible itching.

So avoid all added sugar (even in prepack meals) and cut back on any other sources - e.g. honey, fruit, etc - also dairy acts a bit like sugar in body, so cut milk n' cheese too - just for a while to see if it works for you. (Eggs n' butter are fine though.)

I found choc was SO difficult to give up! but it's been 10 days now - yay!!! I could of course have 100% cocoa as a sub to get over cravings but gone cold turkey. So worth doing and long may it continue! Let me know of your experiences if you can. Do you eat a lot of sugar? If you cut it out, does it work for you too?
|

replied February 22nd, 2013
PS I too have bad circulation in hands and feet, v. low blood pressure, so don't know if that's relevant too.
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Deepak Anvekar
User Profile
Anand J. Singh
User Profile
Dr. Goce Aleksovski