Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

the Hymen

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
By popular request, here is the Hymen Sticky!

Q. What is the hymen?

A. The hymen is a little bit of tissue that is part of the female genitalia.

Q. Exactly where is the hymen?

A. Many people think the hymen is far up inside the vagina, but it isn't. It's not in the vagina at all! The hymen is part of the vulva, or external female genitalia.

Q. What does the hymen do?

A. Nothing at all really, so don't worry about it tearing. Your vagina will stay the same whether the hymen is torn or not. You will also still be a virgin until you have sex, whether your hymen is torn or not.

People used to define virginity by the state of the hymen. If it was intact, you were a virgin. If it was not intact, you were not a virgin. However, that was before we knew much about human anatomy. Now that we know more, we don't define virginity that way anymore.

Some girls are born without hymens, so it wouldn't make sense to say that were born not virgins! Also, some girls have a tough, durable, or stretchy hymen. So their hymen might even stay intact after sex. Imagine saying a sexually active woman was a virgin! She could also get pregnant and still be a virgin if we defined virginity the old way!

Q. So when and how does the hymen usually tear?

Most people think the hymen tears during sex, but that's usually not the case.

Some hymens are durable. They might stay intact even if fingers, tampons, and penises go in the vagina. That's not the norm, however.

Most hymens are very thin and delicate. They usually break in childhood or puberty. Since the hymen is outside of the vagina, anything that tries to go into the vagina will probably tear it. So hymens often break from fingers or tampons. However, hymens are so delicate that even simple things like running and jumping can tear it.

Q. Will it hurt or bleed when it tears?

There is usually little or no pain or blood when the hymen tears, so many girls don't even realize that it happened!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Llewellyn
|

User Profile
replied July 18th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
If you want to know what the hymen looks like, there are some diagrams on this site http://www.mhhe.com/socscience/sex/common/ ibank/ibank/0010.jpg

You can also find pictures of actual hymens (not illustrated diagrams) on the internet. I know there is one somewhere on coolnurse's website, but since we have children on this site, we won't post the picture or link here. So if you're curious enough, feel free to look for it somewhere else!

Eiri was able to find this amazing diagram of the external female genitalia: http://www.the-clitoris.com/x/qa/vulva.bmp
|

replied July 18th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
I had a septate hymen in a diagonal direction, but the edges were almost non existent so I pretty much just had a string across my vaginal entrance! It was hard to break but it did finally. Because it was so small, sex even with it intact was never a problem, I just moved it to the side.
|

replied August 13th, 2007
Re: the Hymen
Llewellyn wrote:

Also, some girls have a tough, durable, or stretchy hymen. So their hymen might even stay intact after sex. Imagine saying a sexually active woman was a virgin! She could also get pregnant and still be a virgin if we defined virginity the old way!

so THIS must be what the "Virgin" Mary meant Laughing
|

User Profile
replied August 14th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Vikki M wrote:
Llewellyn wrote:

Also, some girls have a tough, durable, or stretchy hymen. So their hymen might even stay intact after sex. Imagine saying a sexually active woman was a virgin! She could also get pregnant and still be a virgin if we defined virginity the old way!

so THIS must be what the "Virgin" Mary meant Laughing

Hehehehe Laughing
|

User Profile
replied August 31st, 2007
Eiri wrote:
I had a septate hymen in a diagonal direction, but the edges were almost non existent so I pretty much just had a string across my vaginal entrance! It was hard to break but it did finally. Because it was so small, sex even with it intact was never a problem, I just moved it to the side.

Reading that made my knees go weak, I'm such a wimp!
|

replied September 2nd, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Love_Like_Winter wrote:
Eiri wrote:

Reading that made my knees go weak, I'm such a wimp!

You should have seen all the blood when it finally broke in the shower during sex Wink
|

User Profile
Ohhh Shocked I bet that hurt.
|

Especially eHealthy
Love_Like_Winter wrote:
Ohhh Shocked I bet that hurt.

Not really. I was used to it getting "caught" during sex, and normally a thrust or two would push it to the side or I'd have to stop and adjust it myself. But it went in, "ow", then went in a second time and there was nothing, so I assumed that it had moved in it own lol. Nope!
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
another fact on the 'durable' hymen, some hymens don't break until childbirth.

I don't personally remember ever having one. even when I started using tampons, I don't remember any skin there...
|

User Profile
replied September 15th, 2007
Experienced User
Ahhh Eiri...that just sounds so painful! And like someone already stated...weak in the knees. Good thing i'm not standing up. I don't know if i could of delt with having to adjust something all the time during sex.
|

replied October 30th, 2007
Wow
you learn something new everyday
|

replied December 9th, 2007
Experienced User
Llewellyn wrote:
By popular request, here is the Hymen Sticky!

Q. What is the hymen?

A. The hymen is a little bit of tissue that is part of the female genitalia.

Q. Exactly where is the hymen?

A. Many people think the hymen is far up inside the vagina, but it isn't. It's not in the vagina at all! The hymen is part of the vulva, or external female genitalia.

Q. What does the hymen do?

A. Nothing at all really, so don't worry about it tearing. Your vagina will stay the same whether the hymen is torn or not. You will also still be a virgin until you have sex, whether your hymen is torn or not.

People used to define virginity by the state of the hymen. If it was intact, you were a virgin. If it was not intact, you were not a virgin. However, that was before we knew much about human anatomy. Now that we know more, we don't define virginity that way anymore.

Some girls are born without hymens, so it wouldn't make sense to say that were born not virgins! Also, some girls have a tough, durable, or stretchy hymen. So their hymen might even stay intact after sex. Imagine saying a sexually active woman was a virgin! She could also get pregnant and still be a virgin if we defined virginity the old way!

Q. So when and how does the hymen usually tear?

Most people think the hymen tears during sex, but that's usually not the case.

Some hymens are durable. They might stay intact even if fingers, tampons, and penises go in the vagina. That's not the norm, however.

Most hymens are very thin and delicate. They usually break in childhood or puberty. Since the hymen is outside of the vagina, anything that tries to go into the vagina will probably tear it. So hymens often break from fingers or tampons. However, hymens are so delicate that even simple things like running and jumping can tear it.

Q. Will it hurt or bleed when it tears?

There is usually little or no pain or blood when the hymen tears, so many girls don't even realize that it happened!

I found your post extremely informative. As a woman, I knew about the hymen. However, having read you post, I have had some preconceived or should I say outdated notions about the hymen and its association with virginity.

Having said that, you mention that there are new methods, based on the increased knowledge regarding this matter, of medically determining if a woman is a virgin is that. But, you did not state how.

I would really like to know the current process for determining whether or not a woman is a virgin?
|

User Profile
replied December 10th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Well, I don't know if Lewellyn is around anymore. But I don't know of a medical process to determine if a woman is a virgin. I mean, obviously if she is pregnant or has an std, but I don't think a doctor can tell unless she/he asks you.
|

replied December 10th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Well, if the female has recently had sex there will be common abrasions to parts of the exterior vulva. Several kinds of "damage" are observed with rape victims for example. If a woman has no damage, then either she is a virgin or has not had sex lately.
|

replied January 1st, 2008
Learning More About a Women With Every Passing.
From the start men are left with disabilites, from the time they learn about the birds and the bees. Most of them think that being with a girl changes the understanding, but as we all known most men have the littliest notion of what it takes to make girl or a women truly happy. Most men dont understand the truth about "satifaction".. They only thinking about self satifaction and they'er enjoyment. That is why here and now I write..
|

replied January 1st, 2008
Especially eHealthy
Men have "disabilities from the start"? What kind of disabilities are you talking about? A "disability" is a disadventageous condition that is [u]unusual[/i] for a member of a species. Thus, not ALL men can be born with a disability; because then it is just part of being human. It's not a disability, it's just an aspect of being male.
|

replied September 21st, 2011
today my boyfriend was fingering me, and i started bleeding quite alot just randomly and im still bleeding now but not much. It may have been my hymen tearing but i have had sex with him quite alot of times before. But before i was with my boy friend i thought my hymen had already been teared because it was my first time but there was no where near as much blood as today. I guess the person before could of just scratched me, but can i really have sex so many times with out it breaking?
|

Community Volunteer
During puberty your hymen becomes very elastic. It is however strange that sex would not tear it but fingering would.

When was your last period and when do you expect your next one? Did you take a mirror and looked at what is going on?
|

my last period was about two weeks ago, and no i dont particually no what im looking for?
|

Community Volunteer
Scratches, tears, spots, marks,..... If it is your hymen that is bleeding, you should be able to see it. Your vulva is a body part like any other. If there are blood on your face, you will look in the mirror to see where it is coming from. Why is your vulva any different? Just make sur your fingers are clean.

The only place you cannot see is inside your vagina. As least if you do not see anything outside, you know it is coming fro inside your vagina.

I hope you are being safe when you have sex!
|

replied November 24th, 2012
Ok so this probably won't sound understanding but...

So if your a virgin and you still have your hymen is your hymen located in the front of your vaginal entrance? Like can you just see the skin not the inside?
|

replied November 24th, 2012
Community Volunteer
No, every woman's hymen looks differently. Depending on how old you are, it can just be a fleshy elastic ring around the outside edge of the vaginal entrance, or a few lose flaps. Hymens that completely cover the vaginal entrance are malformed. It is called imperforate, or micro-perforate hymens. These will normally need a doctor to cut it open so that your menstrual flow and discharge can escape.
|

replied June 23rd, 2013
Hymens!!!
Loved the talk, thanks for the help ladies!
|