Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

My Brother Has Bipolar Disorder

Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
Hello
I am new here and I am just looking for some advice really.
My brother was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder earlier this year and I don't think I am doing much (if anything) to help.
We are close but he now lives over 80 miles away from me and I feel helpless.
I am scared that I could have contributed or even caused his illness in our childhood. I can't really ask him anything about the illness and we avoid the subject when we meet.
I am just always so worried. His girlfriend has recently left him and so he is moving back to our parents. I just want him to be happy and don't know how to make it happen.
To make things worse, it is his birthday soon and I am terrified I will buy him the wrong thing.
I appreciate any response to this post.
Maude xx
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper maude
|

User Profile
replied June 7th, 2010
I am new to this website and my brother is also Bipolar. He was diagnosed about 2 yrs ago and things get better then get worse. I know that it can be extremely hard.My brother has actually said that he blames me for his illness and that I have caused it. He talks about me as if I am an evil person even though all I have ever deone was try to bend over backwards to help him. He even went as far as yelling at me that he would kill me. I finally stopped trying to help him and I am at that point where I just don't care anymore. I pray that it doesn't get this bad for you and I know that there is no way on earth this reply is going to make you feel better but I just wanted to tell someone my story before I go crazy. Any response at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
|

replied April 20th, 2011
Hi there....I feel for you because my brother is most likely bipolar and is undiagnosed to this day. He blames me too---he says such awful things to me and takes out all his resentment in life on me and also my family. To him...I am a "loser...worthless..." I am in school getting my masters and he asks me: don't I feel terrible because I am not worth anything and he makes more money than me? He is very mad now that I am moving onto a part of the house where he said he was going to live one day. Its been years and he never did anything with moving into this house despite having enough money at times to do so. He works with my father a few days a week...or none at all, it just depends on his mood. Sometimes he is home all day, dare anyone ask him why he is not working that day. Never went to school, hates society and has no friends. He says that i have no friends and that I am miserable. Yet, I have close friends and am grateful of all my accomplishments and that I have supportive family helping me through graduate school. You can't say anything to him---we all just walk on egg shells. My brother thinks I'm evil too---and is verbally abusive to me too. I could sit there and cry and say absoluetly nothing and he just keeps going on and on attacking me. He needs help...I decided I'm not talking to him at all anymore. I have to just ignore him, even though we live in the same house... until he gets professional help.
|

replied August 3rd, 2011
"-until he gets professional help" my brother has not been diagnosed,and dos'nt belive he needs help, I hate to see him like this, we love each other dearly, how can I get him to seek help
|

replied June 14th, 2010
Supporter
I was diagnosed with BPD 5 years ago so I can understand both sides. Do not blame yourselves for their illness. It is a chemical imbalance of the brain. If they are on the correct medications and continue to take them they will improve. Their are so many different degrees of this disorder, it can be mild to severe. When your brothers are yelling at you they really do not mean it, they are having an episode. I understand why you have given up, you cant help your brothers, they have to acknowledge they have a problems, and want to change it. Some of us can recognize we need help and others are ashamed to admit them might have a problem because they will be labeled which is hard on anyone. It so hard for you and your brothers. I really dont know what I can do to help both of you. Your brother's need to be on meds, and may need extra help from trained professionals when they slide into depression or mania. I feel for both of you. You both seem like such loving sisters.
|

replied April 7th, 2011
My brother has bipolar
Hello, unlike you guys Im a 15 year old girl and my big brother has bipolar. Im findind it hard to deal with this year coz my brother is going to university. he finds the work load hard, cuts himself and just gave up. Right now he is in a deep depression. he is taking all of his meds and getting help, and he has started smoking! I dont know how to help him, and I feel useless because we are so close. The worst of all is when he gets anxiety attacks. my family is finding it hard to deal with, because it sets such a bad mood in my house.
|

replied August 6th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
In a case like yours, u need to prioritize and understand he will always have problems, so gf and wives and children are best left out of the equation.
. . as to smoking; so what; anything that brings stability is good; so forget about that
. . as to what u can do is to always be available because u recognize that he cannot successfully deal with the world as it is much of the time so the less he has to deal with the better and if stable and firm is the family; it is probably the best u can have so accept it and embrace it.
wish u all well
|

replied August 16th, 2012
my brother have manic depression
it is hard to accept the truth about your close relative to have such an illness. My big brother has been suffering from this illness for almost 10 years , i had no idea what he was going thought at first, from readying many comments and reviews , now i know there are so many people around the world have this illness. I am always looking around to find what i can do to help him. from my experiance , it's been a long and hard journy dealing with his illness, we both share the same house. One important tip - dont ever blame yourself for his illness or think for once that you coused him this. because this will just make things worse for you. give him or her sometimes and listen to what they got to say, at the take when they are happy feed them with possative thoughts. always remember their birthdays, ask them to do things for you or the house , most of the depreesed people they need more love and recognition even if you dont need from them anything.

i realy dont have any medical back ground but this is just out of my experience.
if anyone need or have any question i will be glade to share my thoughts with you . god bleese you and best of luck
|

replied October 5th, 2013
Brother's Illness is driving me out of my mind
My brother is 42 years old and has bipolar. He holds onto grudges forever. He currently has disowned my other 3 siblings. I am the last one he even talks to but with my nudging and begging him to talk to my other brother I have threatened disowning him since he is so big on it. We are close and I feel that the only way I can get him to understand how his disowning makes me feel is to threaten it myself. He has turned on all of us because he thinks we are shunning him but he stirs chaos and drama wherever he goes. I can't help him...he needs psychological and psychiatric help. It hurts me deeply now that with my siblings out of the picture I am the last one he can turn on and make my life a living hell. He turns all my love and words against me.
|

replied October 21st, 2013
Experienced User
Bipolar disorder is a mental disorder characterized by extreme shifts in mood, as well as fluctuations in energy and activity levels. Bipolar disorder is also known as manic-depressive illness which leads to serious mental illness that can destroy relationships, undermine career prospects, and seriously affect academic performance. To overcome bipolar disorders, you need to be stress free. Practicing Yoga on daily basis and maintaining healthy relationship plays an important part in reducing bipolar disorder. Besides this, start with a treatment related to bipolar disorder and take proper medication as prescribed by the good health care professional.
|