Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Am I Insane?

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
I think I really need help. I am a constant worrier. I worry when about things that I shouldn't worry about.

Example: it's been a while since I got tested for stds (not concerned about that but it's a good idea now and then just to be safe). Anyway, I decided to go to a std testling centre. Everything was very profesional. After I left I started to think "what if this testing centre in not legit? What if they are using dirty needles to test me?"

i know it sounds crazy. But what really concerns me is i'm acually going along with these ludracrous speculations. I honestly think I have a serious problem. I worry constantly.

Please help with any advice.

P.S. These testing centres are alright to go to, right?

Thanks,

orion
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 10th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Don't worry. You are not insane. I'm sure a lot of us worry about these things. I even worry about it when I go to get my kids vaccinations...I wonder if they are really using diff needles on all the kids. And when I took my daughter to the hospital (for a high fever) about a mo ago, I ended up falling asleep with her in the emergancy booth and woke up thinking someone has poisoned us. So i'm sure you are fine, we just think about things more deeply than others.

Jennifer Laughing
|

replied March 11th, 2004
Experienced User
Hi orion, I worry about every little thing but I am in a cbt group and really starting to make progress curing all my anxiety and panic (i suffer panic attacks as well as general anxiety). You may want to read the book we are using in my group, been there, done that? Do this! By sam obitz. I like it it because it is a short book and all the chapters in it are short. The tea form and a couple of the other exercises in it have helped me start to reduce most of my worrying and the physical symptoms that come with the worries. Obitz even talks about everyone telling him "not to worry so much, but no one ever told him how to stop worring so much" until he learned the tools he needed in cbt Smile
|

replied March 11th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
You are not insane. You probably have anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder. I suffer from both among other things. I mean your worries are valid, but your mind takes them to levels that make you think you are going crazy. I am sure your testing center is legit. But, it does not hurt to be concerned about things such as dirty needles. Heck, it could happen to anyone of us anytime, anywhere. You never know where the psychos are!Lol.
But anyway, talk to your doctor about maybe going on zoloft or a medication like it. It has helped me sooo much. It of course did not cure me, but it does help a lot. And look on the bright side, for some people anxiety is brought on be some kind of stress or obsticle in life and can go away at any time. Some of us it likes to stick with, but it could go away on its own. But I would definately recommend treatment of some kind whether it be the above mentioned cbt or meds or relaxation methods or all of the above. Ignoring it will not make it go away. Keep us informed of your progress!
|

replied March 11th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
I'm almost 49 & have worried about everything all my life, suffered depression, anxiety & ocd, tried so many different meds & counselling/treatments etc etc that i'm exhausted just thinking about it. I asked my dr the other day about cbt & will try it as soon as I can get through a few other time capturing issues (perhaps over easter when i'll be home alone for a week (what bliss some peace & quiet!!).

But I have found that some natural things help, same-e, 5htp(tryptophan) vitamin b's, long soaks in a bath, meditation (when everyone gives me 5 seconds peace!!

Also I keep working on replacing the negative or stress/anxiety causing behaviour/thoughts with positive/realistic ones, like when I have too much on my plate I re-examine them & prioritize (lots of things we say we have to do, we don't really have to do) or when I think something is dirty I consider my options& come up with a compromise that all can live with, re dirty needles my dr always opens a new one in front of the patient so I actually see that it's a new one, perhaps you could ask that this be done?
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD
User Profile
Dr. Jeff Bailey
User Profile
Anand J. Singh
User Profile
Anand J. Singh