Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Doctor's .appt. & Worst. Night. Ever. [.pictures!]

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
User Profile
my doctor's appointment went okay. i was a bit scared when he went to check for her heart beat & we heard nothing, but a very faint "bump, bump." then, all of a sudden, .Joleigh kicked real hard & the doctor jumped! it was extremely funny. he said she's alright & that we had a hard time finding a beat because of how she is positioned. her head has been facing downward since week 22.

as for the gluclose test, i was never told not to eat beforehand! the girl who drew my blood told me that eating breakfast or anything, for that matter, could cause the test to be inaccurate. if it comes back positive for gestational diabetes, i have to speak with my doctor about retaking the .O.N.E. hour test (obviously fasting this time around) because the five hour one is a pain in the butt. ugh!

so that was the doctor's. all in all, it wasn't too bad really. my baby is doing good, which is most important. i love her.

[next part = tmi]

as for my night, oh my god, talk about torture. out of nowhere i developed this severe migraine. i thought i would be able to stick it out if i just laid down in the dark, but i was wrong. it didn't get better, it got worse. by midnight i was vomiting & i ended up glued to the toilet because i had diarrhea. it all just came out of absolutely nowhere. i'm confused as to why? any ideas, anyone? i'm currently 25 weeks & 5 days pregnant.

i called my boyfriend & he drove down to my house to take care of me. by the time he arrived i was sweating, yet shivering. he brought me some tylenol extra strength gelcaps. i took two, as the box prescribed to do so, and laid back down. within a half hour, i was passed out cold. could all of these symptoms been the result of a severe migraine? i woke up feeling refreshed. i'm a tad bit nauseous still, but it's not ruining my day. Joleigh's been kicking a bit here & there, so she's fine, too.

i did, however, find a tick on me yesterday morning. i removed it & the site of the bite is a touch red, still. i was thinking that perhaps what happened could have been the result of .Lyme .Disease? i showed my doctor & he told me to keep an eye on it. i'm thinking of calling him back either today or tomorrow & asking that a .Lyme's test be performed. am i overreacting? i'd rather be safe than sorry.

.Today's .Picture: 25 .Weeks & 5 .Days
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 17th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I found some information on the symptoms of lyme disease.

Typical symptoms include fever, headache, fatigue, and a characteristic skin rash called erythema migrans.

If you look up the name of the rash you should be able to find pictures of it. Nausea and diarrhea are not typically symptoms of this. I would keep an eye on the spot you were bitten and make sure you don't develop a rash though.
|

User Profile
replied July 17th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Did you have any visual disturbances prior to getting the headache? That is a symptom of classic migraine. Migraine headaches can increase or occur during pregnancy due to hormonal changes. If it happens again, you can try caffeine to help alleviate the pain, or running ice water over your head. These are treatments which would have few side effects for the baby, and will give you some relief. The reason that these things work is because when you have a classic migraine, the boold vessels in your head suddenly contract, stemming the blood flow to your head. This is what causes the visual disturbances like "sparklies" , "floaters" or reverse tunnel visioin. Then, in the next phase of the migraine, the blood vessels dilate, allowing the blood to rush back into your head. This is what causes the pain and horrible nausea. Caffeine and ice are both great vaso-dilators, which will help to contract your blood vessels again. The only medication I was allowed to take for migraines when I was pregnant was Midrin. I had to take it right at the onset of the visual disturbances for it to work. Excedrin Migraine is a no-no, as it contains aspirin. Tylenol does very little to help, and Ibuprophen is also not allowed in pregnancy. I hope this information is helpful to you. If the migraines continue or worsen severely, please bring it to the attention of your health care provider right away.
|

User Profile
replied July 17th, 2007
Experienced User
thank you for the information. it started as a mild head-pain, but out of nowhere increased into this unbearable migraine. i have had a couple of them throughout my pregnancy, but nothing as bad as the one i experienced last night.

i called my mother this morning & asked her what she thought. she said the vomiting could have definitely been a result of the migraine. she told me to rest today & see how i feel. if it happens again or gets any worse, call the doctor tomorrow & see what they have to say about it.

i have been doing quite a bit of online research about .Lyme .Disease. i've read on a couple of sites that not everybody developes a bull's eye looking rash. in fact, my neighbor's daughter was just diagnosed with .Lyme's & she only had a thin red line across the bite site. so, i think for my own sanity & just to be safe, i'm going to call & ask that i get tested. it's a simple blood test, no big deal.
|