Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cholesterol Forum

Is Coconut Milk High On Cholestrol?

Must Read
Do you know the difference between good and bad cholesterol? When does cholesterol pose a threat to your health? More info here....
High levels of bad cholesterol in the blood can increase your risk of heart disease. So how do you know if you're experiencing high cholesterol, or not? ...
Who should request cholesterol testing? And how often? Learn how to check your cholesterol levels and what the optimum cholesterol levels are....
I was going through a cooking website and came across an interesting recipe for a vegetarian dessert. However, it had a lot of coconut milk in the ingredients.

Could anyone let me know regarding the cholestrol content of coconut milk or coconut cream. Both are basically the same but different in consistency only.

This is what I was reading about coconut milk:
http://www.health.food-recipe-cooking.com/ brown-rice-health-benefit.htm

Thanks in advance.
ExecCeo
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Finkledink
|

replied February 1st, 2008
Cholesterol is only in animal products.
There is no cholesterol in coconut milk, or in any vegetable/fruit/nut. Cholesterol is only found in animal products.

However the saturated fat content of coconut milk is quite high. This is probably bad news, since saturated fats can raise your cholesterol levels,, but there are some people who have been saying that the saturated fat in coconut milk is different from the saturated fat in other things, and even go so far as to say that it's good for your circulation. The most unbiased opinion I've ever seen on this stuff says that the jury is still out. Not enough testing from either side - it's mostly just the "it's bad" group pointing out the saturated fat content, and the "it's good" group pointing out anecdotal evidence of healthy Somoans.

The best advice seems to be to use coconut milk in moderation - so, what else is new?

Here's a pretty good answer from Dr. Andrew Weil:
http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA316479

As far as coconut milk and cream, it's really just marketing of different qualities of coconut milk. Coconut milk is made by taking the meat, pureeing with water and squeezing out the milk, just like with other nut milks. As far as I can tell, coconut cream is just the extra fatty part that rises the top of the milk, after it's settled. You'll usually find it sticking to the top of the can. You can get lighter coconut milk that has less of this stuff and has a lower fat content. It works just as well in most recipes.

I believe there are also some products that are marketed as coconut cream that have less water content then our standard coconut milk.
|

replied March 4th, 2008
Hah, I love how "taking the meat" is a phrase in the Vegetarian Forum. Just sayin!
|

replied March 4th, 2008
The rich english language
Just wait, later I'm going to slowly tear the SKIN off of a BLOOD orange, dice several RIBS from a celery (oh yes, with their VEINS!), cut the EYES out of several FINGERling potatoes and leave them on a pile of old corn EARS. I'll finish off my evening by consuming an entire HEAD of lettuce and the HEART of an artichoke... with fava beans and a nice chianti. slurp slurp slurp.
|

replied March 19th, 2008
Ahhhhh, you made my day finkledink. I love the puns.
|

replied November 15th, 2008
I know this is an old post but if anybody else looks I figure it might help. Yes coconut milk is high in saturated fats but it is the kind that is good for you, yes there is such a thing. I realize not all studies are conclusive but some have found that colonies which use coconut in their diet have been found to have little to know heart disease as well as some studies have found it helps with proper brain development as well as old wives remedies such as a mild laxative and to help break down proteins. My advice is do as much of your own research as possible to come up with a solution but I find coconut to be beneficial.
|

replied November 15th, 2008
Supporter
It may be better than other saturated fats, but it is in huge excess: http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/nut-and -seed-products/3113/2

However, I agree that there are studies coming out that disprove the old statements that all saturated fats are bad. The study used to test coconut milk was using hydrogenated coconut milk, meaning that trans fats were involved. Thus, the coconut oil and milk you eat is likely better.
|

replied November 17th, 2008
I am sure that the SF in the coconut oils are in plenty of excess, as evident by the Nutrition Info you provided. I still do prefer coconut milk as a base fatty for some recipes I do due to its good flavor and it good properties as compared with other oils and creams.
|

User Profile
replied March 25th, 2011
I'm willing to bet good money that the saturated fats in coconut milk is a little different than what you find in average candy machine. If you're really that worried about it, use it in moderation. I haven't seen much in the way of scientific research, but most "health nuts" I know say it's a good source of fat.
|

replied April 2nd, 2011
======================
COCONUT is now considered healthy after year 2000
-----------------------
rumor from 30 years ago was it was bad
==========================
|

replied May 5th, 2012
Coconut oils
Do your research before you bet good money, in this case you lost. The palm and or coconut oil in the candy machines are processed and hydrogenated which makes them unhealthy. Virgin coconut oil and coconut milk are healthy do to not being hydrogenated. The saturated fats in the Virgin oil and milk versions are medium chain triglycerides , the healthy form of fats. Coconut milk is closest to mothers breast milk in this sense.
A good rule of thumb is; if you take something natural and give it to a chemist he will return it to you in an unnatural and unhealthy form.
|

replied June 9th, 2012
There arw twelve different kinds of saturated fat. 4 of them we have more frequently in our diet. Cocnut oil is rich in lauric acid. That is an ecellent kind of fat for our health. You should not worry to add it to your diet if you do it slowly. A bit today and when you get used to it, have a little bit more until you body is fully adated to this diet change.
|

replied August 13th, 2013
Canned coconut milk
I usually buy Thai Kitchen coconut milk and, on the can it says 60% of daily value of cholesterol per 1/3 of cup. I grew up in a tropical country and always had coconut milk straight from scraping the coconut (long process, but delicious), so I'm concerned if the canned versions adds chemicals or process in a way that it becomes unhealthy.
|

replied October 24th, 2013
Coconut oil to more use in India. It's people to made foods in coconut oil.
|
Quick Reply