Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Anyone Get Pregnant While Using Mirena Iud? (Page 1)

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
I am 29 and have Mirena IUD for almost 2 years. I have never been ablet o feel my strings although DR. says they are there. Past couple weeks I have had these "episodes" as where I am having sort of like a hot flash.. body is on fire then cools off then I am nauseated for the rest of the day/night. Everyday nausea... ugh i hate it. I took a hpt and it came out neg. I tried to find my strings again but still can't feel anything in there. Are they like WAYYYY up there. But anyone ever get pregnant on Mirena IUD?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper cthomas09
|

replied July 16th, 2007
Hi there I personally have not got pregnant while using this IUD but know that it is possible. With regards to you not being able to feel the strings I know that they can sometimes become wrapped around the cervix, if you can reach you could brush your fingers around the outside to see if you can feel them there. If you can't you should contact your doctor who will check that they have not withdrawn into the uterus. If this happens it could cause infection and could be why you are feeling hot/cold just now.

Good luck. x
|

replied April 4th, 2011
I had the mirena since February 2010 and haven't had any weird symptoms until about four weeks ago. I believe it is very rare to get pregnant while on mirena but not impossible. I started to have pregnancy symptoms like tender breast, nausea, tiredness, moody, and cravings. I went for a check up and I was told that my strings could not be felt or found. That got me worried, so my doctor did an ultrasould to see where my iud is. I had it done on Friday and was told it's still in there but not all the way in. They also didn't see any sign of pregnancy but I was told if I am pregnant it may be too early to see. I would have to be around five weeks or more pregnant to see anything. I had blood drawn to check for pregnancy. I Hope I'm not and hope it's just from stress or something. My results should be in today or tomorrow will post the results as soon as I get them.
|

replied April 5th, 2011
even though i was that 1 in 10,000 to be conceived on the mirena i went ahead and went with it after i had my second child, i have now had it since dec of 2010 and have had no problems
|

replied October 7th, 2011
what were your symtoms of pregnancy when you had mirena?
|

replied October 23rd, 2011
Pregnant on Mirena
i had a miscarriage in july 2011, shortly after that i got the mirena. my period is late and recently i've felt like i was going to get my period. i have the cramps but i started spotting. like dark brown, it's never on the pad just when i wipe. my breasts are kind of tender, cramps, fatigue, heartburn at times. could i be pregnant???
|

replied April 25th, 2011
iud
are you pregnant? i have the exact same symptoms with my iud and the pee tests are negative, i feel like i should go in for a blood test .
|

replied May 8th, 2011
R u pregnant?
So what did you find out? Everything you have felt I am going through...DESPERATE
|

replied June 22nd, 2011
im gainning weight and craving and im on a diet ive been loosing it and i starting gainnin it back ive had mirena since july 2010 but ive been feeling alittle bit weird
|

replied July 31st, 2011
So I am having similar symptoms of pregnancy and have had a Mirena IUD for 5 months now. My periods increased from 4 to 8 days in length but maintained the same flow. However this month I am going on 3 weeks late, no spotting even at all! I took 3 HPT, 2 were un-readable, 1 was negative. However afetr readign several posts from several sites Ive seen a commonality in false negative HPT. So Ive just had blood and uring work done today. I am freaking out!! I am always that lucky smaller than small percent that experiences the side effects to the fullest with EVERYTHING! My side effects with this IUD began about a month ago. Headaches, breast tenderness, cramping like Im going to begin a period, lower back pain, insomina, extreme fatigue, hunger, cravings, weight gain, severe bloatedness (its ridiculous), frequent urination, shortness of breath which is prob due to the bloatedness, and ofcourse the biggest sign in now being 3 weeks late. Ive read that it is possible to not ahave a period at all while havign the IUD but only after a year of insertion. Any comments or suggestions are more than welcome!!
|

replied August 10th, 2011
I just had my second mirena put in two months ago (after having the first one for 5 year) and have never gotten my period while I've had it. I have been feeling nauseated and tired this week though, so that's why I'm checking these postings because I'm afraid I might be pregnant!
|

replied August 15th, 2011
im having the same issue. Ive had my second mirena put in back in dec after havin the first one for 5 years but now i am having all kinds of symptoms. Nausea , fatigue, im eating more than normal, mood swings, hot flashes, sore breasts and actually ive lactaded a little. which might be TMI but for me thats really scary since last time i did that was when i had my second son in jan of 06...
|

replied November 27th, 2011
So after 5 years did it fall out or do the Dr take it out Please help me???
|

replied December 20th, 2011
Hey there - just wondering if you have an update on your circumstances? I am going through the exact same thing... Would love to hear from you!
|

replied January 26th, 2012
IUD and pregnncy
just think the first one had slowly been depleating the hormones for 5 years. now you have a new one so your body just got a major hit of fresh hormones, these will give you sore and swollen breasts, period and pregnancy symptoms, and the body being overwelmed by the blood flooding with this new hit will make you fategued and feeling sick also most people when they first get the iud have just recently had babies so the hormones where extreamy high in the fist place where as 5 years later the hormone levels are minute. i hope this helps
|

replied February 28th, 2012
IUD
My IUD is almost ready to be taken out. the Dr. said august, my have been having weird symptoms, I didn't think any thing of it, UNTIL my friend mad an off handed comment about my being pregnant. now I am paranoid, and I know that the IUD is suppossed to last 5yrs, and mine should be coming out in about 6mo. maybe that is causing my paranoia. IDK. my breast are soooo sore, like it hurts to take my bra off my nipples are really sore as well.(TMI) I'm also having a little bit of cravings, and upset stomach, that could be from anxiety, as I never had morning sickness with my first child. I have been looking it up and some people do get pregnant on the IUD but it's a very slim chance . Nothing is 100% though and that is why I am worried. I replyed to this post because it caught my eye when you said about all the new hormones from an IUD being freshly implanted but knowing that mine is due to come out soon, I am kind of worried. Going to the doctors today, and even if I'm not pregnant I NEED to know what is going on with my breasts because its been like this for a few weeks and is just getting worse. I don't even want to wear a bra or have my boyfriend touching them!!!
|

replied April 30th, 2012
Pregnant with IUD?
I'm in exact same boat as you. Will be 5 years in Aug that I've had my IUD and having very tender breasts. Considered having preg test but haven't yet. I think I'll wait til Mother's Day and consider the result my present (whatever it may be!). How are you? Hope you are not pregnant! Thanks!
|

replied April 17th, 2012
mirena iud
this is my first mirena iud and i've had mine almost a year june. and this paST week i too have been feeling weak and nauseated, cranky and i just took a hpt and it read positive. so i'm hoping if at all possible it is a false positive.
|

replied April 17th, 2012
mirena iud
this is my first mirena iud and i've had mine almost a year june. and this paST week i too have been feeling weak and nauseated, cranky and i just took a hpt and it read positive. so i'm hoping if at all possible it is a false positive.
|

replied April 17th, 2012
mirena iud
|

replied September 7th, 2011
I got the Mirena put in after having my second child in Jan 2009 and only had 2 periods following. When the third period never came I took a pregnancy test that was negative. The fourth missed period also gave a negative test. When I asked my doctor about it, she just smiled and said, "You're one of the lucky ones". So it is possible to have your period stop prior to a year after insertion. I went without a period for 2 years (Still had all the other symptoms though each month ugh) but 6 months ago it started up again, but now im more irregular than I was before. Hope this helps.
The reason I came to this forum today, is that I'm afraid I might be pregnant now. I'm 3 weeks late and having many of the crazy symptoms I remember having at the beginning of my first 2 pregnancies. I'm concerned about what complications the iud may be causing if I am pregnant, and maybe since Ive had it for over 3 years now it stopped working? I haven't taken a test yet, though, because I'm afraid of what the answer is.
|

replied September 7th, 2011
*correction: my mirena was put in Jan 2008
|

replied September 21st, 2011
mirena iud
i have had my mirena since sept 2008 & am right there with ya sarah37 but i have taken 2 tests & they've turned out negative... i have gained 10 lbs in the past month though and am concerned about a false negative, i didn't know if that would make it easier for me to get pregnant if it has been budged while doin... you know or while the doctor was checking it out, but its good to know i'm not the only person who thinks they're pregnant on this iud. i've also had tightness in my chest & shortness of breath
|

replied May 14th, 2012
That is so strange that you say that! The same is going on with e. I've had the IUD for 3 years with no period, but in the last 4 weeks, I've gained about 30 pounds horrible mood swings and my breasts are so sore it's ridiculous! And the craziest part is that I've been spotting and I haven't had a period since I had this IUD inserted. I'm also having these really bad cramps. I'm really nervous. What was your outcome?
|

replied September 30th, 2012
?
ive had mine for 3 years this is my first one and im having the same issues and it hurts everytime i have sex
|

replied September 18th, 2011
Pregnancy with an IUD
Pregnancy with an IUD

If you become pregnant with an IUD in place, your doctor will recommend that the IUD be removed. This is because the IUD can cause miscarriage or preterm birth (the IUD will not cause birth defects).

When to call your doctor

When using an IUD, be aware of warning signs of a more serious problem related to the IUD.

Call your doctor immediately if you have any of the following symptoms. Remember the word "PAINS." Each letter stands for a word associated with a problem:
Period is late with a copper IUD, or you have abnormal spotting or severe bleeding
Abdominal pain, severe cramping, or abdominal pain with sexual intercourse
Infection with or exposure to a sexually transmitted disease (STD) or symptoms of a vaginal infection, such as abnormal vaginal discharge
Not feeling well or having a fever of 100.4F (38C) or higher
Strings from IUD are missing or are longer or shorter than normal

Call your doctor to schedule an appointment if you:
Cannot feel the string of your IUD. (Use condoms as backup birth control until your doctor has checked your IUD.)
Have severe or prolonged vaginal bleeding.
Miss a menstrual period, unless you have the hormonal IUD. It is normal to miss a period or stop menstruating while you are using the hormonal IUD, and this is not a cause for concern. If you have a hormonal IUD and miss your period and wonder if you are pregnant, talk with your doctor. IUDs are highly effective. But if you are concerned, you may want to have a pregnancy test to find out for sure.
Copyed from WebMD
|

replied February 21st, 2012
I got my minera in feb. 23, 2011 and I have been having cramps
And I haven't had my period since a week before December 30,2011
And I also had an infection they gave me pills for I went to go to bed
Last night and I notice my breast was all sore and they are getting bigger
Also I have 2 boy's and I got the minera cause I dont want any more
Right now is there any one with the systems and does any one know
If I could be pregnant or not cause none of the symptoms quit some
Times the pain is so bad that I don't even wanna move or do anything
|

replied November 30th, 2011
mirena
I know this is a very late response but I am doing some research and decided to comment. The mirena can cause you to have no periods at all as can other body control. I find it fortunate to not have to deal with pads and tampons.lol. I've been on mirena since august 2009 . At first there were horrible symptoms and infections. Whatever problems a female can have;you name it I've had it. Eventually it got better. No periods, no symptoms,only occasional spotting and pelvic pain. My doc swears I was normal and that everything would subside and for he most-part it did. So, don't freakout. Like any foreign object tour body could be wanting to reject it or like body control's purpose. The body thinks and reacts as if its pregnant. I really hope his helps someone. Thought I should share my experience.
|

mirena
I know this is a very late response but I am doing some research and decided to comment. The mirena can cause you to have no periods at all as can other body control. I find it fortunate to not have to deal with pads and tampons.lol. I've been on mirena since august 2009 . At first there were horrible symptoms and infections. Whatever problems a female can have;you name it I've had it. Eventually it got better. No periods, no symptoms,only occasional spotting and pelvic pain. My doc swears I was normal and that everything would subside and for he most-part it did. So, don't freakout. Like any foreign object tour body could be wanting to reject it or like body control's purpose. The body thinks and reacts as if its pregnant. I really hope his helps someone. Thought I should share my experience.
|

mirena
|

replied January 8th, 2012
This is the same as me but I don't get my periods at all anymore and I've only had it for 6 months. I have no clue what tO do please help me too
|

mirena
I had a Mirena, got pregnant...terminated the pregnancey, however at the clinic they said it was no where to be found and that i should have my dr do an abdomal xray. I called my Dr and they didnt seem concerned and said we will talk about it at your next appointment in 3 weeks.....
|

replied February 9th, 2012
Same situation with Mirena
Hi, I am in the same situation, what have you done? Whats happened? Please Im desperate!
|

Im in the same situation now. Whats happend, what have you done? Please, im desperate!
|

Im in the same situation now. Whats happend, what have you done? Please, im desperate!
|

replied September 30th, 2012
mirena? confused
ihave been on the mirena for almost 2years I haven't had a period since a month after it was placed last few weeks I've been nauseous Moody cramping almost constantly. my breast are much larger too big for my bras alwayshungry hot then cold tired but can't sleep n terrified I have two children am a newly single mom and I'm not sure what to do please does anyone know what might be wrong with me o would go to a doctor but can't afford one
|

replied July 6th, 2011
I was on the mirena back in 2005 after I had my 2nd daughter i was on it for a good year or so when i started dieting and found it hard not to eat. I called my doctor and told him I thout I was pregnant and jus as I thout I was about 3 months. I had all kinds of ultrasounds done and they culd not find that mirena in july 2007 I delivered a baby boy
|

replied September 21st, 2011
Where did your IUD go?
Where did the Mirena go? Did the doctor have any idea?
I delivered a baby boy in april of 2011 and have had the iud for two months now but I am afraid I am pregnant. I feel extremely tired, nauseated in the morning and extremely hungry.
|

replied October 23rd, 2011
should I be worried?
I had my mirena put in back in Jan. 2007. I've had a cycle faithfully for the past 3 1/2 years and it just stopped a few weeks ago. Your situation sounds very similar to mine so I was wondering were you having a cycle while you had your mirena and should I be worried?
|

replied August 22nd, 2011
i have a question for u i went to see my doctor last week because i was having a lot of pain in my abdominal area when she check me and said that my strings were lost. so my question is can i get pregnant if i had sex anytime between when i started get the pain and when i got checked
|

replied July 17th, 2007
Went to the Doctor
yesterday and iud is still in place. He has no explanation yet as to why i am having these symptoms. Sent me for a whole bunch of blood work and set me up for an ultrasound. we will see what happens. I am quite anxious
|

User Profile
replied July 17th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
i have the mirena and a few times i've been convinced i was pregnant and taken a test. it's never happened yet to me. i think it is VERY rare to get pregnant with it
|

User Profile
replied July 17th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Honestly, with the mirena it is probably more likely that you have some sort of infection or something. I had the mirena and am kid-free, like most women who have had it. (I hated it, but that's a different story) The mirena IUD is more effective preventing pregnancy than a man getting his tubes tied, if I remember correctly. This info is from the planned parenthood website.

"Effectiveness

The IUD is one of the most effective reversible methods of birth control. Of 100 women who use ParaGard or Mirena, one or fewer will become pregnant during the first year of typical* use.

Tell your clinician immediately if you have

* severe abdominal cramping, pain, or tenderness in the abdomen
* pain or bleeding during sex
* unexplained fever and/or chills
* flu-like symptoms - muscle aches, fatigue
* unusual vaginal discharge
* a missed, late, or unusually light period
* unexplained vaginal bleeding

Pregnancy — Most pregnancies happen to IUD users when their IUDs slip out without their knowing it. The chance that a pregnancy will happen while an IUD is in place is very low. If it does happen, have the IUD removed, if at all possible, as soon as you know you're pregnant. Women who choose to complete a pregnancy with an IUD in place must have close medical supervision throughout their pregnancy."

Once again, the chance you are pregnant is very low and your symptoms don't necessarily point straight to pregnancy. It is extremely unlikely you are pregnant, and slightly less unlikely that you have an infection. Any unprotected sex lately? Bladder infection? These could all cause a more internal infection that might be bad.

Good job seeing your doc. I hope it all comes out well.
|

replied July 13th, 2011
Hi! I've had the Mirena for about a year and two days ago I woke up with major off and on pain. My period started so I thought I was cramping. I went to work and I still felt like I had period cramps back cramps. The pain didn't get much worse that night but was still there. I slept through the night fine. I woke up the next morning getting ready for work and getting a 14 month old ready and I was in pain. I started crying because I was by myself and I couldn't get us ready to leave the house I was in too much pain. I finally got us in the car took my son to day care and went straight to the doctors. The doctors took a normal pee test and normal vital signs test. Within like 10 minutes the doctor comes in and says we need to talk...your pregnant. She said since I had an IUD in I needed to go straight to the emergency room because I might have an egg growing in my tubes. If the tubes bust It would be deadly. So I made it to the hospital and they did more test confirming again I was pregnant. They did ultrasound and found the egg was still in the Ovary at a normal spot for how far along I was. The doc took the IUD out and we have to go back thursday for blood work to make sure the baby is growing okay. But yea people it does happen! my IUD was in the right place but failed after a year of being in there. I was in complete shock!! I had major pains in my stomach behind my belly button and from my ovaries down. It hurt to touch, stand walk around. Almost feeling like a painful gas pain in your whole stomach. I even thought I started my period, but it was just the hormones from the IUD. If you don't feel right get checked!! a whole day in the emergency room to find out what is wrong is way better then waiting too late and getting surgery.
|

replied October 24th, 2011
Pregnant with IUD
I have had my IUD for 4 1/2 years. Thought I was coming down with an illness cause I was achey and tired but then I started having major cramps and off and on stabbing pains near my left ovary and uterus. Had a few pregnancy tests because they tell you to check every now and then cause your periods can be absent or randon. Well, those 3 tests are positive. I did all 3 cause I was in shock and didn't believe it. Off to the doctors in the morning and see what happens. The risk is high and I'm not sure what the outcome will be but I've been reading posts since I found out and thought I'd let people know my story. Good luck to everyone posting on here.
|

Did you Know that Margaret Higgins Sanger Slee (September 14, 1879 - September 6, 1966) was an American sex educator, nurse, and birth control activist? In 1921 Sanger founded the American Birth Control League, which later became the Planned Parenthood Federation of America.
Sanger was a proponent of negative eugenics*, a social philosophy which claims that human hereditary traits can be improved through social intervention. Sanger's eugenic policies included an exclusionary immigration policy, free access to birth control methods and full family planning autonomy for the able-minded, and compulsory segregation or sterilization for the profoundly retarded. In A Plan for Peace, an essay in the April 1932 issue of Birth Control Review, Sanger proposed a congressional department to address population problems. She recommended that immigration exclude those "whose condition is known to be detrimental to the stamina of the race," and that sterilization and segregations be applied to those with incurable, hereditary, disabilities. Sanger saw birth control as a means to prevent "dysgenic" children from being born into a disadvantaged life, and dismissed "positive eugenics" (which promoted greater fertility for the "fitter" upper classes) as impractical. Though many leaders in the negative eugenics movement were calling for active euthanasia of the "unfit," Sanger spoke out against such methods. She believed that women with the power and knowledge of birth control were in the best position to produce "fit" children. She rejected any type of eugenics that would take control out of the hands of those actually giving birth. Sanger claimed that birth control advocates and eugenics advocates shared a common goal of "assisting the race toward the elimination of the 'unfit'". While Sanger supported negative eugenics, she asserted that eugenics alone was not sufficient, and that birth control was essential to achieve that goal. Taking sharp issue in plain words with certain other eugenicists, however, Margaret Sanger completely rejected the idea of killing the unfit, expressly denouncing euthanasia as a eugenics tool. In Pivot of Civilization Sanger wrote, "Nor do we believe that the community could or should send to the lethal chamber the defective progeny resulting from irresponsible and unintelligent breeding." Sanger denounced the agressive and lethal Nazi eugenics program. Sanger believed the responsibility for birth control should remain in the hands of able-minded individual parents rather than the state, and that self-determining motherhood was the only unshakable foundation for racial betterment. She advocated coercion to prevent the "undeniably feeble-minded" from procreating.
* Eugenics is the "applied science or the bio-social movement which advocates the use of practices aimed at improving the genetic composition of a population", usually referring to human populations. Eugenics was widely popular in the early decades of the 20th century. By the mid-20th century eugenics had fallen into disfavor, having become associated with Nazi Germany. Both the public and some elements of the scientific community have associated eugenics with Nazi abuses, such as enforced "racial hygiene", human experimentation, and the extermination of "undesired" population groups. However, developments in genetic, genomic, and reproductive technologies at the end of the 20th century have raised many new questions and concerns about the meaning of eugenics and its ethical and moral status in the modern era, effectively creating a resurgence of interest in eugenics.
|

replied June 30th, 2013
This article made me a little bit angry! Humans should not be playing God.
|

replied July 23rd, 2007
Can You Get Pregnant While On the Mirena Iud?!
Hi. My name is Samantha and I have two children my oldest is two and my youngest is 6 months. I have been on the iud since feb 27th. Lately I have been so sick every morning sometimes even throwing up. I have also been so tired. I have not gotten my period yet last month I got it at the end of the month I don't remember the day lol. I have taken a pg test and it came out neg. I think I took it too early though. Anyone have any advice on what is going on lol I would appreciate it thanks

Samantha
|

replied April 28th, 2011
could i be pregnant while on mirena
i have been having some similar symptoms that i had while i was pregnant with my 2 other kids i have mirena but have only had it for about 5 or 6 months at first i could really feel it and so could my partner but i couldn't find it the other day and i started 2 get concerned because i was being very emotional and have been getting extremely light headed, had back pain headaches, nausea and very tired all the time i get so light headed sometimes that i feel like i might pass out and even have black outs at times where everything goes black n i lose my balance but I've done that before and i was just extremely dehydrated and I've been going through some relationship issues and that might be my explanation for my emotional mood swings and i took a $1 pregnancy test n it came back negative but its only been about 2 weeks that I've had these symptoms n its only been about a week and a half since i last had sex and with both of my last pregnancies I've gotten pregnant the day after my period n felt a lot of these symptoms within the 1st couple of weeks of being pregnant, the last time i had sex i had just gotten off my period but didn't think anything of it because i have mirena and its supposed to be more effective then most birth controls but once i started experiencing these symptoms i became concerned and decided 2 make sure it was in place n i didn't feel it at first but finally i found it but it wasn't as easy 2 find as it was when i first got it like its up and back further than what it used to be and i saw another comment about weight loss shifting it and i have had some weight loss since i got it i got it a month after i had my second child and i still hadn't last my weight from being pregnant i weighed about 160 or 170 and i now weigh 140 its only 20 or 30 pounds but it has really made a difference I've almost got my flat tummy back does anyone know about how far along u have to be for it to show up on a blood pregnancy test because if i am pregnant i have to be at least almost 2 weeks or more
|

replied May 12th, 2011
pregnancy blood test
How are you feeling? Did you take a PG test? FYI, in 2009 I went into the hospital for semi-emergency surgery. After the mandatory urine PG test came back positive, a blood test was performed which detects the amount of PG hormones in your blood. The results indicated that I was 1 to 1 1/2 weeks pregnant. My period wasn't even "late" yet. So, to answer your question about how far along you have to be for it to show up on a blood pregnancy test, not far along at all. According to my doctor, within one day, the hormones start to build up in your blood. Please post a reply so we all know how you're doing.
|

replied July 13th, 2011
I'm 4 1/2 weeks and they were able to detect it yesterday
|

replied July 15th, 2011
iud pregnant
i myself have gotin pregnant with the depo bcp and i was still bleeding. i took 3 tests today with my 3rd iud and they came out positive. it was light and i followed all the directions to the -t-! if i am i want a girl really badly! ive had enough boys! i got 3 of them! if i am im also hoping that the baby will be healthy and normal little girl!
|

replied September 2nd, 2011
I too have the iud and I am a nurse. After reading all these comments I am concerned about a suspician I have had all along. I beleive we get pregnant on the idu often, but then because we have the iud, the body usually doesn't stay pregnant. This is why we have all the pregnancy signs. I am a nurse and have asked my doctor, but I really don't think any health care clinitions want anyone to know, especially the companys that profit from these iud's. I am not sure, but I am started to really feel this way. I have been sure I was pregnant at least a few times, then the symptoms all of a sudden disappear, I have even had weird looking discharge then immediately symptoms disappear.
|

replied September 27th, 2011
HELP!
I have only had the IUD in place for about a month and a half. I know that a back-up birth control is recommended, and stupidly, I didn't listen. I've read all these comments and I, too, am getting very concerned. I have no children and was only suggested the IUD because of extreme periods, so I don't know what being pregnant feels like. But within the past week or so I have had the most horrible headaches. I thought at first it was from not having caffeine all day, I got a dr. pepper and soon realized that wasn't the cause. Every time I bend over I get light headed and nauseaus. I've thrown up two mornings but feel more sick around dinner time. I am also having back pain and randomly crying. I'm 4 days late on my period. Someone who has had children, please tell me what you think!!!! I'm desperate Sad
|

replied June 30th, 2013
if you think you are pregnant get an hPt.
|

replied October 24th, 2011
I have the same suspicion
I would like to concur with this statement. I have te paraguard and I have been almost sure that I was pregnant, I have five children and I know exactly how it feels to be pregnant and I would experience te tiredness, sore breast and nausea and then it goes away. Even during them times I can swear my body is telling me I am pregnant, my cycle when it comes it's much heavier and hurts so much more. It's almost like a sick feelings not related to PMS. Someone should tell us something.
|

replied December 16th, 2011
Dconcern I have had the same thing for months happen to me. I feel pregnancy symptoms than discharge and light bleeding then the symptoms are gone.That is scary to think with this IUD we can possibly be miscarrying. If what you say is true than I do not want this IUD anymore!
|

replied April 18th, 2013
i agree, i also have had same symptoms at least 3 times and have been on the hormonal iud for 4.5 yrs ready to take it out as just got married. i already have kids but i am very aware of what your saying, i also believe its very suspicious.not happy!!!
|

User Profile
replied July 24th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Well your period is probably just going away- this happens to many people on the mirena. It happened to me. Most people like it.

About feeling sick, though, that could be a side effect or it could be unrelated. If you just started feeling tired and sick, is there perhaps another reason? Another illness? Or it could be a side effect of the mirena. But not pregnancy.

If you can still feel your strings, there is no need to worry about pregnancy. You are probably just losing your period. When I was on mirena I took a pregnancy test every month until I was convinced that I wouldn't get my period anymore. But like I posted above, the chances are about 0% that you are pregnant.
|

replied July 20th, 2011
fyi
that's not necessarily true! My friend got pregnant, while her IUD was still in place, and she could still feel the strings! Yes it rarely happens, but it Happens!
|

replied August 11th, 2011
getting pregnant while on MIRENA
I had mirena in since may.It came out after 2wks of having it,I went back to the dr and they put another in.I just went to the Drs this past Monday(8/8/11) and found out that im 8wks pregnant and that the mirena was still in place and they removed it right then,after it was removed the dr said it was broken.I go back in 3wks for an ultrasound to make sure that the baby is growing like he/she should.
|

Out of 100 women using a birth control method?
How many become pregnant each year with typical use?

IUD-1
Contraceptive Injection (DepoProvera-About 3
Pill-About 8
Condom-About 15

Association of Reproductive Health Professionals Brochures for Patients
A Woman's Guide to Understanding IUDs

Odds are better for prevention then with other forms of birth control. But there still not that great.

The current U.S.A. population is over 311 million people (311,800,000 in mid-2011)If they were all sexually active female w/IUD's, there would be 3,118,000 unplanned pregnancies each year. On the other hand if the whole USA was female, we wouldn't be able to have babies.
|

User Profile
replied July 24th, 2007
Experienced User
I'm not using Mirena but I have the nonhormonal paragard IUD. I know somebody who got pregnant w/ mirena. Nothing is really 100% effective. But let me remind you that getting pregnant while the mirena is in place is very rare.
|

replied October 8th, 2012
I had the copper iud a while ago and got pregnant on it. I was having heavy periods in the begining and the doctors told me they might lighten up after a while, Well, they kept getting heavier and heavier. After about 1 1/2 years it was out of control. My period was so heavy that I bled through a super maxi in about an hour or two. I went to my PCP and she sent me back to the clinic that I got it put in at. When I told them they immediately took it out, She told me that it was not placed correctly so that was probably why I was bleeding so much previously. Well, no one thought to give me a pregnancy test at that time and they told me I had to go to planned parenthood to get a new one put in because they did not do it there anymore. Well planned parenthood could not give me an appointment for over 2 weeks so I was so worried that I was going to get pregnant accidently. My husband and I used condoms to be safe but one time we didnt so I went and got the morning after pill just to be safe. When my appointment day finally arrived they do a pregnancy test before they start you on a contraceptive and surprise, surprise, I was pregnant! I was upset at first because my daughter was only 1 and I was not planning on having another one right away, but I am glad I did because my son is wonderful. He is now 2 1/2 and I had the mirena put in at my 6wk check up. I started reading these posts because I have not had my period in a while and am getting worried. I never really tracked it but I always got my period pretty regularly and the last few months I felt like I was getting it twice a month. Now it seems like it is late and I am worried to take a test. I would really like to have another one but feel like I should because that would be 3 for me plus 2 step-kids we have custody of. I am in school and we dont have the greatest job, just seems irresponsible.
|

replied January 17th, 2008
pregnant with iud
Hi my name is crystal i have had my iud for four years. I have never had any problems until about a month ago. I started having breast pain, back pain and missed my period. I chalked it up to stress but decided to call the dr when it got worse and i also started to get very queezy. I went today thinking i was having an ectopic pregnancy and it turns out im one of the very rare cases whos iud is still in place and he said the baby is 8 weeks and groing well not in the tubes but invetro. I am still in disbelief and scared. So yes i guess this is possible im the first my dr. has ever seen and we removed the iud today so well see what happens. Hope this helps. Anyone else?
|

replied March 22nd, 2011
Iud
Did it hurt when had your iud removed
|

replied March 25th, 2011
hope not
im having the same stuff going on back pain brest hert and so tired all the time and have a blader infeshen with i onlny get when prago so i hope im not i all ready have 2 kids 2years and 8 months
|

replied March 26th, 2011
what may have lead to ur prganancy
did th doctor give any explination to why u got pregnant, maybe antibiotics or what i am worried for a similar reason...
|

replied April 1st, 2011
Got pregnant with Mirena
I was having lots of symptoms, and the nurse I see thought it was fibromyalgia. Turned out I was three months pregnant before I saw the doctor and she gave me a pregnancy test. I had the Mirena IUD for 2 1/2 years. I recently did weight watchers and lost 50 pounds. My sister in law told me that she has heard of others who lost weight and then got pregnant with an IUD. I guess weight loss can cause it to shift and go to the wrong place.
|

replied August 2nd, 2011
IUD & Pain?
OMG I was on weight watchers and lost 55 pounds over the past year and I got my IUD put in last year before that I had it for 5 years with no problems,, other than not getting my period for months but that is common with the Mirena. Since the new one had gotten put in I have had heavy,longer and timely periods, like clock work for the past 8 months. So when I missed my period by 2 weeks then I stated having nausea, lower back pain, migraines, and dizziness I got worried, my back pain is so bad right now I can't lay down it feels like my lower back is pulling apart, I called my dr today and I'm going in Friday.
|

replied March 29th, 2011
Well, My husband thinks Im crazy. Ive have the IUD in for almost a year now...and its my second time having it. I've had no problems with it the first time, but this time is a little different. I was in the hospitle in the beginning of Nov. last year and they gave me anitbiotics, then by the middle to the end of dec. I started to feel nausia and tired and dizzy, like I did when I got pregnant the first 2 times with my boys. I was also late on my cycle. I chocked it up to jet lag from moving to Hawaii, and the IUD makeing my period go away. I took a test and it said neg. So, I put it in the back of my mind intill about a month ago. I started feeling fluddering...then it turned into I can feel it more often, now I can put my hand on my tummy and feel it. It dont do it when my husband tries to see what Im talking about...But I swair there has to be something in there. Also, Ive been geting very bad pains in my tummy around where my overies should be...good thing Im going to the docter in a few days...maybe they will tell me Im not going crazy!
|

replied April 10th, 2011
thats like the same thing with me, i had mirena for almost 2 years and about feb everything started to happen, i dont remember my period for feb or march, but i do remember a little bit of spotting, i feel so icky in the morning, like i can puke, im always so tired now, heart burn like no other and like you i swear i feel something moving around in there, but everytime i take a test, it comes back neg, what did your doctor say, should i go?
|

replied May 11th, 2011
I've had the same problem! I've had my mirena for a year now and it's been more annoying then helpful. For the first 10 months I was randomly spotting. Then at month 11 and month 12 I started having a full period. Now I'm expecting to have my period and there's nothing. I am now technically 3 weeks late. And now I feel fluttering like you have just mentioned. It's funny because I can feel it through the top of my stomach and I can feel it on the inside. I try to tell my husband or show him and he doesn't believe me either. I really started thinking maybe I'm pregnant. But I have taken two pregnancy tests and they were both negative. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow, but I just feel so crazy thinking about all of this! What ever happened when you went to the doctor? What was the fluttering about?
|

replied July 4th, 2011
OMG I AM IN THE SAME BOAT AS U I UNDERSTAND I BEEN ON THE IUD FOR ALMOST 4YEARS AN NOT A SINGLE PROBLEM NOW I GOT FLUTTERING AN WEN U PUT UR HAND THERE ITS MOVES AN U CAN FEEL IT AN I BEEN SICK BUT NO VOMITING AN SO TIRED AN MY EATING HABITS ARE GONE I ONLY EAT ONCE AN NOT EVEN ALL OF IT AN I LOST 10LBS IN LESS THEN A MONTH AN I HAVE LOTS OF BACK PAIN AN AN CRAMPS LIKE I WANT TO COME ON A PERIOD AN I HAVE NOT SEEN A PERIOD OR FELT IT IN 4YEARS BUT LAST MONTH I DID SPOT AN THE DOC SAID IT WAS NORMAL IT SOMETIMES HAPPEN I TOOK 4 URINE TEST ALL NEG SO TOMORROW I WILL BE GOING FOR A BLOOD AN IF THAT IS STILL NEG THEY NEED TO DO A SONOGRAM AN I WAS WONDERING IF U KNOW IF U R ON THE IUD DO THE HCG IN UR URINE STILL SHOW UP WEN U TAKE A TEST
|

replied April 28th, 2011
- I still cant believe this , How can woman get pregnant with the IUD inserted ? . Its crazy and shocking at the sametime . Well let Me at least introduce Myself , My name is Emillyy and now im Only 17 I Had My first daughter when I was 15 and about 11 days after I turned 16 I know its crazy but It happen to Me . Why ? Well its besically I didnt know about Birth Control ; Well I did now but I didnt think I WOULD GET PREGNANT so fast but it did happen and CAN happen to anyone . And YES I have the IUD ' and sometimes feel wierd , I sometime wounder if Im pregnant too ? ''/ Sometimes I wonder alot because lately I being feeling My belly gettin harder , and when I press it down it feels wierd , I have also notice tenderness on My breast .... Well Byeee have a Good onee ! * (:
|

replied May 2nd, 2011
OMG!! thank you so veryuch for this info.I've hadmine for 3yrs and now im experiencing something different with the same symptoms that you were having. Please let me know how everything worked out for you!!once again thankyou*
|

replied May 2nd, 2011
OMG!! thank you so very much for this info.I've hadmine for 3yrs and now im experiencing something different with the same symptoms that you were having. Please let me know how everything worked out for you!!once again thankyou*
|

replied May 3rd, 2011
i know it's been two years ago, but how did the pregnancy turn out??
|

replied May 13th, 2011
iud and got pregnant
i had an iud and got pregnant, at 9 weeks i had miscarriage, and then had it taken out. latter that year got pregnant again and have a very healthy wonderful little boy, something are just met to be.
|

replied June 22nd, 2011
Did you take an at home prego test bc I have had mine in about 4 yrs also and I'm having the same symptoms but I took a test and it was negative but I'm getting a belly and have cravings and all the same feelings I had with my daughter.
|

replied June 23rd, 2011
me too
hello! I have had my IUD for almost 3 years now and I AM GETTING A BELLY!!! and like everyone else, home preg test was negative. i have the tender breast, dizziness and nausea like no other!!!!!! but i know when im pregnant, its uncomfy to lay on mmy stomach but it hasnt been. i just dont understand. Im trying to get an appt with my gyno but apparently they dont feel that its urgent enough! did you take a test?
|

replied June 25th, 2011
Pregnancy while on mirena?
I have had my mirena for 4 years now i have not been feeling good for a few weeks now, so i was worried about being pregnant. My abdomen and breast are really sore im nauseous and dizzy a lot along with some discharge. I had lost about 30 pounds and just resently gained about 10 back, I took a pee test but that was negative thinking about calling doc on monday?
|

replied June 30th, 2011
I have had all these symptoms also. My appt is at 3:15 today. This is my second Mirena. Did not have any problems the first time except when it was time to remove it and put the new one in place. Strings were too short, had to take painkillers and was out of work two days due to pain.
I have been feeling "strange" for three weeks now. Took a pregnancy test last week, it was negative. I have gained 10 pounds in the past 5 weeks, eating weird, lots of fluttering and weight is all in my midsection. Back aches, pain in shoulders and lower back on right side. No breast tenderness, tho, which I had with both of my other children. I'll let you know what the doctor says today!
|

replied June 30th, 2011
I have had all these symptoms also. My appt is at 3:15 today. This is my second Mirena. Did not have any problems the first time except when it was time to remove it and put the new one in place. Strings were too short, had to take painkillers and was out of work two days due to pain.
I have been feeling "strange" for three weeks now. Took a pregnancy test last week, it was negative. I have gained 10 pounds in the past 5 weeks, eating weird, lots of fluttering and weight is all in my midsection. Back aches, pain in shoulders and lower back on right side. No breast tenderness, tho, which I had with both of my other children. I'll let you know what the doctor says today!
|

replied August 19th, 2011
Can I get pregant after 4 years using Mirena?
Yes, this very helpful. I have had the Mirena for four years and I have start feeling symptoms. I have cramping, loss of appetite, sore breast, and nausea. I am not sure when I had my period, because it normally light and last couple of days. I too am stressed out, but this unusal for me. I decide to google the possibilty og getting pregnant using Mirena. I have had an ectopic pregnancy in 07, which my dr suggested the mirena. Don't believe it is the same thing, cause the pain was unbearale. I have not had a pap this year, not sure if still in place. I am going to take a test and go see my doctor. I read the dosage is released half the amount after the first couple of years, so it is a possibility.
|

User Profile
replied January 18th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
Good luck, I hope you and the baby are ok Wink
|

replied January 24th, 2008
never had a baby before
So everything that I have read, and all the information that my doctors have told me, is that you should have had a baby before.

Getting a Mirena put in seems to be the best birth control method for me, except that I have never had a baby before. Why do they suggest a woman have had a baby before? Have any of you with a Mirena been like me and not have a child?

Any info helps, as to why, your experiences, anything! thanks!
|

replied April 27th, 2011
Its because they have to contract your uterus to install it. And if u have children your uterus will contract alot easier. Even after having 2 kinds it still hurt to get it in.
|

replied May 20th, 2011
Hi my name is Jessica, I had the mirena put it two weeks before my 18th birthday. When i first got it in, I had a lot of cramping and discomfort the first day. The day after I was fine but I had this really nasty period that lasted for like six months( the reason i say nasty is because it was brown and was thick nasty blood). After that stopped I was ok and didnt have any problems. Well here it is almost 3 years later and still no problems. Now, though, I am experiencing lower abdominal cramps, very moody, craving the weirdest things, and think that I may be pregnant. I've never had kids and it should be a less probability that I should get pregnant because I've never had kids and the mirena shouldn't be able to fall out. When you have kids i've heard that your cervix doesn't exactly close all the way and to have the mirena put in you have to be diolated about 3 cm. So if your cervix is kinda opened after you have a kid, then the mirena has a better chance of falling out right? I dont kno, but I have lost weight and like one of the other ladies said that if u loose weight maybe it shifts the mirena? I havent been pregnant for almost three years now with the mirena, and if this is a not pregnancy then so far the mirena has been good to me Smile
|

User Profile
replied July 25th, 2011
I've never had any children and I've had the mirena in for 2 and 1/2 years now. Recently I've started having the same problems as everyone else. But you don't have to have had a child to get the mirena in.
|

Especially eHealthy
Well all of that information is old and outdated from the 70's. It was relevant back then because the technology was new and still really being tested. Nowadays it is a lot safer and many trial clinics and modern research has shown that it is perfectly safe to insert an IUD in a woman who has not given birth.

The only thing you have an increased "risk" for is ejecting the IUD because your uterus is smaller. This is not harmful, however it will make the IUD ineffective. IUD displacement is easily checked for ever day by just feeling inside your vagina and checking your cervix.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
I had mirena and no kids. My doc wasn't concerned at all (either of them, I had two)

No problems, either. Turns out it wasn't for me, but it didn't dislodge or puncture or any of that scary stuff.
|

replied February 22nd, 2008
jensandsmark, I had Mirena fitted almost a year ago now and I've never had kids. They told me that it was easier to insert if you'd given birth before as the cervix is more relaxed but I didn't have any problems at all. Just felt like period pains while they fitted it and a lighter-period and pregnancy free year!
|

replied May 21st, 2008
ok im 20 years old and have two kids i resently have been feelin sick and throwing up and stomach hurting and i have had my iud since jan 07im always sleepy and i really dont want another kid im scared and really want all this to be in my head plus after a year of having my i u d i missed my period for the first time please someone help im super scared
|

replied June 12th, 2008
Wife became pregnant with using Miena
My wife became pregnant with using Miena, we used Mirena for over 1 year the first time then later had it removed to have another child, after the birth of our second child she had it put in place again, now she has had it in place for over a year and a half but she has been feeling sick and very tired so she went and had a pregnancy test taken and it came back positive. Confused
|
Users who thank johnlecol for this post: butterflylove82 

replied May 21st, 2011
How long did it take after the IUD was removed?
How long did it take your wife to get pregnant after taking the IUD out? I am planning on having another child and wanted to plan ahead.

Thanks,
Brandy
|

How long did it take after the IUD was removed
Depends on the person. It took my friend a year after she had her IUD removed to get pregant, but I got pregnant after 2 months of not having it. Also watch out I had twins, they said it was due to more hormones in my sytem.
|

How long did it take after the IUD was removed
Depends on the person. It took my friend a year after she had her IUD removed to get pregant, but I got pregnant after 2 months of not having it. Also watch out I had twins, they said it was due to more hormones in my sytem after having the IUD removed.
|

replied June 14th, 2008
I am pregnant with a Mirena
Hi All,

I went to the Dr. on Monday thinking I had an ovarian cyst burst because of very low abdominial pain and bleeding. I almost passed out when they told me i was pregnant. I have 3 children and I have hit that 40th birthday so I was not thinking of having anymore children. They then told me they that it was an ecoptic or tubular pregancy and very dangerous. So after many hours or tests and ultrasounds and running around between Dr. offices it was confirmed. Tubular pregnancy between 4 to 6 wks along. The Dr gave me methotrexate, a cancer chemo therapy drug, to try to make my body miscarry and hopefully not require surgery. Day 4 blood work is looking right so hopefully day 7 will on Monday.

Thought I would share my story. The Dr. office told me I am only the 5th woman in the US to get pregnant with a mirena.
|

replied March 29th, 2011
My friend in arkansas got prego with mirana and had the baby. so there's number 6
|

replied September 6th, 2011
so if u are only the 5th person to get pregnate all these other ppl up here are lairs lol i came here for true help and got a bunch of lies
|

replied June 27th, 2008
i hope you cant get pregnant using mirena
wow, i didn't really think i would find all these confirmations of getting pregnant using mirena. i don't know if i am pregnant but looking back to my first pregnacy, i felt like crap right away at about the three week mark, headaches, tired, felt like i was getting sick with the flu but no cold. cramping and tighting in the pelvic area. and well long and behold ive been having some of the same things going on now for the last few weeks. really just realized it today and thought wow crap. ive had the mirena birth control in place for over a year but just became sexually active recently, with a new boyfriend. this is crazy i thought this thing was suppost to be full proof. well i did buy a test to take tomorrow morning, im kinda scared to take it. im a single mom i thought i was protecting myself using birth control but would have taken other steps if i new it was really common to be that rare percentage. i think they need to change that statement. anyone have false pregnacy signs with this birth.control?
|

replied June 27th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
TECHNICALLY rare means UNCOMMON...

But... .2% failure rate is NOT 100%.. That means that 1 in 500,000 women will become pregnant... Approx...

NOTHING is 100%

I became pregnant on an IUD, NOT mirena, I had an abortion, then had another IUD inserted. I have no regrets, and make no apologies.
|
Users who thank red72cup for this post: kristy..... 

replied May 28th, 2011
Hi, 2% means that 1 of every 50 women will get pregnant... not 1 in 500,000 - just thought I'd clarify that!
|

replied June 17th, 2011
Just to clarify
Just wanted to point out that she said "point two percent" not two percent
|

replied June 30th, 2008
WORRIED!!!
Hi my name is Ashley and I have had the mirena since April 08 and have had no problems until about 2 weeks ago when I started bleeding heavy and then it just stopped. I bleed heavy for about 2 days and now i have spotted EVERY SINGLE MORNING since then. My husband says he can feel the strings during sex so I felt for them and sure enough they are really out there. I had already had them trimmed and u could barely feel them after that. I have been nauseas recently but never thought the 2 had anything to do with each other because the mirena was so effective. I called the doctor and they said irregular bleeding can be a sign of pregnancy with mirena. My doctor is out of town (OF COURSE Smile) and when I was pregnant with my first son we got a false negative with a doctors pregancy test. I went to a different doctor who was so confident with mirena he did a pregancy test with my urine and before i could get my pants off for the exam he said it was negative. Then during my exam he told me he could not find my strings. After sweating from the pain of him poking at my cervix he told me he found the strings and that there is NO WAY that me or my partner felt my strings because they are too far up. My doctor is out of town for another week and I am still bleeding every morning. I had no morning sickness with my first son so the naseua is not what is worrrying me it is the blood. Will someone please give me advice on what to do. I dont want another baby(probably why i got the iud lol) but I want a healthy baby if I was pregnant. SO SOMEONE HELP ME! WHAT DO I DO!?!?
|

replied July 31st, 2011
I am in the same boat....what happened??
|

replied September 2nd, 2011
I would definatley go to the ER, you could be pregnant or have an infection or any number of things, better safe than sorry.
|

I am the mother of 5 wonderfull children and i had my iud put in 6 weeks after my last child and now 15 months later i am having all the symptoms of pregnancy!!!! this cannot be happening to me my strings are still intact is there any way that maybe the iud causes these feelings? lol Fingers crossed im afraid to even take a pregnancy test! after 5 im pretty much a walking breathing prego test
|

I am the mother of 5 wonderfull children and i had my iud put in 6 weeks after my last child and now 15 months later i am having all the symptoms of pregnancy!!!! this cannot be happening to me my strings are still intact is there any way that maybe the iud causes these feelings? lol Fingers crossed im afraid to even take a pregnancy test! after 5 im pretty much a walking breathing prego test
|

replied July 21st, 2012
could I be pregnant
Ive had the marena since 2009 and ive never felt my strings but this past week ive been sick at night heart burn my breast are super heavy and i have weird cravings the smell of taco bell makes me sick and i love taco bell the thought of food makes me sick.. Ive gotten pregnant 2 times on birth control but chose marena because it was supposed to be more effective.. My cramping is so bad I have to curl up in a ball after few hours it goes away.. Ive thought I was preganant but I dont want to get my hopes up.. I lost my son when i was taking Yaz birth control so it scares me.. I think my best option it to go to doctor.
|