Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

had a Colonoscopy But Still Have Unexplained Bleeding

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
I had a colonoscopy a week ago out of town with my sisters doctor who is supposed to be an "expert" at finding ibd and chrohns disease. I had the colonoscopy due to occasional bleeding while having a bm. The doctor found 3 benign polyps and removed them but other than that he found nothing wrong other than hemhoroids and IBS.
Everything was ok untill today while having a bm I had more bleeding and mucous as well as what looked like a few blood clots mixed in. I called his office and he returned my call saying I should go to the emergency room asap. I'm really hesitant to go to the emergency room since the colonoscopy turned out pretty normal with no serious diagnosis. Could this bleeding be from my hemhoroids? Wouldn't something more serious have shown up during the colonoscopy if there was something wrong with me?
I also had an abdominal ultrasound the day before the colonoscopy which showed a few cysts on my kidneys which have been there for years now and have been checked out a couple of years ago and weren't a problem. The doctor freaked out and ordered a CAT scan that same day which also found a cyst on my ovary. The report also called it a "complex mass" that he is acting real worried about as well as being worried about the kidney cysts. I went to my obgyn and he read the report and said not to worry that ovarian cysts are normal at my age and that is is too small to worry about. He said he would do a ultrasound in 3 weeks to see if it's still there and said that CAT scans commonly word things as complex, and mass's even if they are a normal cyst. It just seems like this doctor overreacts a lot and scares me to death.
I'm really scared and don't know what to do now. I'm starting to hate going to the doctor in fear of what they will find and don't want to overreact if it's just my hemhoriods bleeding. Help!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 16th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
The bleeding could be from further up in your GI tract, like in the ssmall intestine or stomach. Your doctor is covering his bases by having you go to the ER. You might call back and ask about further testing, such as an upper endoscopy. I hope you get this figured out!
|

replied January 30th, 2010
Frustrated too
I also had a colonoscopy recently and everything was "normal" however I still have the very painful symptoms and weirdly enough the week before my colonoscopy I ended up in the ER due to severe pain and they found a ovarian cyst. I'm so frustrated - this is my 3rd colonoscopy and they never follow through with what tests etc. should be done next.
|