Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

Bulging Veins In Hands (Page 1)

Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
I'm 34.

Over the last few months, i've noticed that the veins in my hands seem *much* more prominent when my hands are lowered (and of course, they disappear when my hands are raised). I literally looked in the mirror one day and said, "my god, I have old-man hands!"

i never really noticed this before, so I can't say they weren't like this previously.

I know this is nothing to worry about, but i'm wondering if it really did just start to develop or I just didn't notice. However, is there anything that would cause the veins to "suddenly" start bulging out more?

I've also had issues with my hands feeling a bit more sore occasionally. Could this be related?

Sorry if the category is inapproriate, but I couldn't find a better one.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper needofhelpnow
|
Users who thank jneau for this post: needofhelpnow 

replied May 14th, 2008
Bulging veins
I am having the same issue. Does anybody have any answers. I am 38 and started taking some BP medications
|

replied March 24th, 2011
I have just noticed the same on my hands. The veins do really stand out when I just put them in front of me..like typing on the CP. And they look so bad when I lower them to my sides.
I have been on BP tablets for the 3/4 weeks. I am wondering if the blood pressure pils are the culprit for all this. I used to train at the gym only last year,but because og my high BP,I have stopped at present. Ihave been on the BP pills but the BP is still high. SO I too would be interesten to know if these tablets are making it worse. Would appreciate a good answer.
|

replied February 7th, 2012
swollen viens
I am 39 and just noticed my hands look see threw and you can see ever vein in them!! I recently had pain weird pains in my jaw and back.I went to the hospital but they could find nothing!!!
|

replied May 14th, 2008
Wow, that's a flash from the past...but figured I'd follow up.

I'm normal. What I was experiencing is completely normal. I was just going through a period where I was extremely paranoid about everything going on with me due to some palpatations I was experiencing (palpatations will make you VERY aware of your body Smile )
|

replied March 24th, 2011
I have this hard heart beat,which becomes a kind of palpitations which keeps me awake at night,and also I get this pulsations in my ears every time I lie down too. But it can come on any time regardless whether or not I am being active in and around the house. I have been told that this is due to my high blood pressure!!! I am nearly 71 this year. I hate getting old....!!! giggle
|

replied May 14th, 2009
That is funny I have been very paranoid lately becuase of palpatations and noticed the same things with my hands. Did you ever determine why the palpatations? I keep having mine but have had a stress test and ekg and nothing significant found. Just curious if yours went away on their own of if they determined a cause?

Thanks,
|

replied May 22nd, 2009
Large Veins in the hands
Mine are like this also, and my son, close to 40, also has them. They don't bother me. But they are not very pretty. I think excepting things that do not hurt us is a big part of growing up, instead of running to the doctor or a operation when we don't like how something looks. I except it and go on with life.
|

replied May 30th, 2009
bulging veins and chest tightness
I am 37 and am experiencing the same thing with my hands and with heart palpitations. I actually feel like I have severe chest tightness at times as well. Did you also experience the chest tightness? I am tempted to go get some testing done but I hate the idea of all the high medical bills.
Any thoughts?
|

replied June 8th, 2009
I am only nineteen and recently noticed that the veins in my hands are also becoming very very prominent...I did start taking a beta-blocker/blood pressure medication (propranolol) about a month ago....could this have any affect on it?
|

replied February 26th, 2010
Enlarged veins on hands that fill up and then go down.
I have noticed in the last couple of days the veins on my hands fill up and then go down. Some aching. I feel okay. Is there a reason to become alert about this? I have been under tremendous stress this last year but everything is clearing up.
|

replied June 10th, 2010
why do my freakin veins bulge?!
Me too!!! It's sooooooooo gross!!! Like gross like, I'm hyperventilating right now kinda gross!!! This is not sarcasm and I don't think it is normal and something that you should just accept. There's something wrong and I have to find a cure for this cuz it's really freaking me out.
|

replied June 10th, 2010
why do my freakin veins bulge?!
Me too!!! It's sooooooooo gross!!! Like gross like, I'm hyperventilating right now kinda gross!!! This is not sarcasm and I don't think it is normal and something that you should just accept. There's something wrong and I have to find a cure for this cuz it's really freaking me out.
|
Users who thank janedoe786 for this post: needofhelpnow 

replied June 12th, 2010
bulging arms -hands veins
Hi, sorry for my English.
I am a woman, who since young have had bulging veins, and am skinny. It looks very ugly, and some people gets scared. I found somewhere (I lost the link) that it is a condition related to poor circulation or heart problems.

I do not exercise, am weak almost always (I have small heart and had some corticoadrenal disfunction in the past). Many times I have difficulty breathing.

Not every situation is the same for everyone despite seems to be the same -as people who lifts weights, etc.)
I have to have donde a tilt test to see what is going on, because have had seizures due suppossedly to heart syncope. But it is kind of risky test, because you are expected to faint and they inject you trinitroglicerine or similar. So I am scared.

It is not the same to make exercise and have bulging veins as have a circulation or adrenal problems or other(which can be fatal if not addressed at time). My veins have lots of "meanders", like a river. Time ago they had no such meanders.

I am looking for a physician who has experience and will not give me lots of drugs as many use to do.

Take care. Best wishes.
|

replied January 16th, 2012
From an alternative view point, a good supplement to support the circulatory system would be a Vitamin C COMPLEX.. A complex includes bioflavinoids, hespirdin, rutin, etc. This will help to strengthen your circulatory system. That is what I do.
|

replied May 2nd, 2012
I've had heavily veined hands ever since i can remember and now in my old age, my hands look like maps of the Yangtse-Kiang river system. However, I exercise regularly (yoga, aerobics and walking) and I'm very active. I'm not on any medication, though i do take vitamins E and C and people generally think i'm much younger than i really am. But the veins are whoppers. Thank god they're not on my face. In a way they quite fascinate me. I think my circulation must be pretty good. But i've got a friend only a few years younger than i and her hands are plump and white with not a vein in sight. On the other hand her face is much older looking than mine. So we can't have everything.
|

replied July 12th, 2010
Help,Veins Popping Out On Hands
I'm 61 and I'm freaking.3 days ago my veins popped out all over my right hand and is very painful.I have no insurance so can't go to a Dr. because then it will be considered a pre-existing condition.is this the end or what? Extreme tingling in both hands and right big toe.Maybe I am in a panic over the whole thing. I do take a water pill for BP. I workout like a 20 yr old
|

replied August 22nd, 2010
Protruding veins and heart problems
Sounds like a great research topic for those who are interested!

I don't think this is a coincidence! I am almost 37 and have very similar symptoms: bulging veins and difficulty to take a breath from time to time and occasional chest pains. Recently I saw a doctor about my chest problems (and probably will have more tests coming up), but on the first visit I was told that I had a good pulse and that my heart is strong. Go figure! But after reading all of the above comments I am convinced that there is a connection between the protruding veins and the heart problems. Doctors don't always have the answer, and it seems like this is one of those cases where we just have to wait and see! Just do your best to stay healthy!
|

replied May 21st, 2012
thinner looser skin as we enter middle age and the fat layer thinning just under the skin contribute to this.

The blood pressure med angle is interesting...I have had fairly low blood pressure most of my life (96/78)and have had this problem since my mid 30's. It is part of life no big deal. I think some of the post on here regarding pounding heart shortness of breath with no cause when checked by Dr. sounds like it may be an anxiety attack.
|

replied August 23rd, 2010
bulging hand and feet veins
im 32yrs old and have very low self esteem because of my bulging ugly veins in hands and feet the only way to relieve them is by putting up my feet and hands,people comment esp children and say yuk gross and its very embarrassing. i have been to gp blood pressure normal but they wont help i also have spider veins on face and legs since puberty i have 5 children. i have tried private clinics but too expensive.its affecting my relationship because i hate my partner seeing them and its even making me feel low in myself..please please can anyone help with this Sad
|

replied April 13th, 2012
I have advice if it causing you low self esteem....
I am 21 and have large, veiny, gross hands too.

I used to have such low self esteem that I seriously couldn't walk out the door and go to classes or work because my hands bothered me THAT much! I am a little OCD. My recommendations:
1) Keep your nails looking amazing- get a manicure:)
2) Wear long sleeve shirts that cover even a portion of your hands. Even during summer! It boosts your self confidence:)
3) MOST importantly: I finally found a man who loves me just the way I am, flaws and all. AND you know what?? His hands are SO much bigger than mine, and scarred, and dirty after working with seafood and meat all day long. He thinks mine are beautiful and feminine in comparison. Go find yourself a nice, blue-collar guy with gruff hands:)
|

replied May 25th, 2012
morganconway I just love your post. You go girl! I think we are always most critical of ourselves.
|

replied September 28th, 2010
Bulging Veins/Poor Circulation
Everyone! I think that it has alot to do with not drinking enough water, poor diet, and low/shallow breathing related to stress! I think when we are dehydrated or have lack of oxygen, or are under too much strain,the blood becomes thicker and then the circulation suffers and the veins start bulging. I have noticed when I drink adequate water, and eat small/moderate healthy portions of raw/fresh/natural foods/ greens and fruits, very little meat, the veins subside significantly. When I focus on breathing deeply, am relaxed and have had enough water, the veins are DEFINITELY less prominent.
I think this goes for MOST sicknesses or diseases in life!!! I don't even listen much to Doctors anymore, all they want to do is prescribe MEDS. How should they know really what is best for MY body? I find listening to my body, focusing on eliminating stress and eating right usually works best!!
|

User Profile
replied October 19th, 2010
Experienced User
Hmm.... Ive been having Palpitations as well... Im pretty sure its because all of a sudden a few months ago i stopped working out every day and started drinking heavily every day... it was all fun and games for a while, then i started gaining weight VERY FAST.. and started noticing all this weird stuff going on in me.. i get bad palpitations that just make me paranoid... and just now I sneezed and my left hand felt all weird, like it had been stepped on and the veins in my hand here tiny.. like scary thin.. but all seems normal now, the veins in my left hand are always a little more raised than in my right.... its weird when you start thinking about whats going on inside you... there is a lot going on!
|

replied October 24th, 2010
Similar
I'm wondering how many people here have had issues with anxiety or panic disorder (fear of death is often a symptom and heart-related fears the general manifestation).

I also wonder how many here are on the computer often. I notice this about my hands after I've been typing for a while. And then when I take my hands off the keyboard for a bit it goes away.

Just some thoughts, since I've noticed the same thing and am hearing a lot of similarities with my own thoughts on this spoken by you all.
|

replied November 20th, 2011
Hi I suffer from anxiety (fear of death) but I don't think that's related to my hands recently turning and discolouring to blue/grey/green and my veins will start showing up more. I'm really acres I'm thinking is this a sign of death. My hands literally discolour my palms an my fingers and nails turn blue. Please answer to help. I'm only 24 and no medical probz before
|

replied March 15th, 2013
I am not a doctor in any way but if your limbs/ fingers are turning blue this is a sign of lack of oxygen.
|

replied October 24th, 2010
Similar
I'm wondering how many people here have had issues with anxiety or panic disorder (fear of death is often a symptom and heart-related fears the general manifestation).

I also wonder how many here are on the computer often. I notice this about my hands after I've been typing for a while. And then when I take my hands off the keyboard for a bit it goes away.

Just some thoughts, since I've noticed the same thing and am hearing a lot of similarities with my own thoughts on this spoken by you all.
|

replied January 27th, 2011
Predisposing factors
stop smoking so much...
|

replied January 30th, 2011
massive swollen veins
Well I'm only 15.

I have been taking concerta (a medication for ADHD, Bipola and stuff) for a year but for 6 months have had HUGE, THROBBING MASSIVE SWOLLEN veins in my hands, fingers, arms, sholders, feet and neck!!!. To the point where i walk around with my hands in the air just to avoid the pain. I drink alot of water and exersise and eat healthy, but i look and feel like a freak. it hurts so much and makes my arms look blue. I feel like im dying, help!!! suggestions?

lizzie. Sad
|
12 >>
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Goce Aleksovski
User Profile
Anand J. Singh