Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Celiac Disease Forum

Celiac Dermatomyositis

Must Read
Is Celiac disease a food allergy? (it is not) What causes Celiac and what puts you at risk for developing it? Basic facts about Celiac Disease here....
What can trigger celiac disease? And who is at risk of developing the disorder? Click here to learn more....
A range of symptoms manifest during Celiac Disease. Learn what signs and symptoms to look for, and when to seek help....
Is there an association between dermatomyositis and celiac disease and can celiac disease be included within the spectrum of the gastrointestinal manifestations of DM ? I'm a DM patient and I have all of the Celiac symptoms ! Do I have Celiac disease or dermatomyositis has the same symptoms like Celiac ? Any other experiences or suggestions, please?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 13th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I am not aware of the condition you have referred to , but there is a definite link between Dermatitis Herpetiformis and Celiac. They are both caused by the ingesting gluten containing foods. How did they diagnose your dermatitis condition?
|

replied March 5th, 2008
Celiac and DM
Hello, My Mom passed away 4 years ago from complications of DM. She was not given a diagnosis of DM until 3 day before her death. And at that time Celiac Disease was also mentioned. We were never able to know for sure if she had Celiac Disease also. We asked the Drs. if anything could be hereditary, because at the time I was not well, we were told NO. But now 4 years latter I was just diagnosed with Celiac Disease. I personally do feel that there is a connection to CD and DM. I had Gene testing done also and hound that I carry 2 genes for Celiac, and was told that both my Mother and Father carried the genes, so I am pretty sure that my Mom did have CD also. If you have any new info on the two diseases, please let me know and I hope that you get that you start feeling better. Mindy
|

replied November 8th, 2008
Dermatomyositis
Hi, my dad had dertmatomyositis and died of complications as well. At the time almost 20 years ago now, they really did not know anything about DM. I was of course never told if this could be hereditary and have always been concerned. What gene did they find? and what specific testing did you have done to determine if you had the gene?

My cousin has now been diagnosed with another disease Scoloderma (may not be spelled correctly) and the symptoms are very similar does anyone know if there is a link between these two?

Thank you. Mary
|

replied November 8th, 2008
Re: Dermatomyositis
Hi Mary,

I had gene testing for Celiac Disease, DQ2/DQ8 are the specific genes for CD. The following link is to a report on Celiac Disease. It mentions the different auto-immune disease that are sometimes connected to CD. CD tends to be linked to many symptoms and other diseases, making it very hard to diagnose. You may find it helpful.

http://yourtotalhealth.ivillage.com/gluten -intolerance.html?nlcid=dg|10-29-2008|

Also if you consider getting tested for CD you should have your labs sent to PROMETHEUS. Most labs are not familiar with CD and don't always give a proper reading.

I wish you the best,
Melinda
|

replied March 7th, 2010
Amyopathic Dermatomyositis, Celiac ,Gluten Intolerance,Colitis
Hi,
I have Amyopathic Dermatomyositis.I have also recently been diagnosed with Microscopic Colitis.Did some lab work with Enterolab.I carry two genes for Gluten Intolerance, but not Celiac Disease (which my sister has).The gluten really affects the microscopic colitis, so I have been off of it for 5 months. Amazingly, the redness on my face and the bumpy patches on my elbows, and the bumps on my hips are gone!!The nailbed swelling and Gottron's papules are still there, though- bummer!There seems to be a lot of confusion about Celiac Disease and Gluten Intolerance.I would describe it this way. Both Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and Primary Hypothyroiditis have different causes.Hashimoto's is autoimmune, the other is not. The symptoms are the same(low thyroid) and the treatment is same-supplementing with synthetic thyroid.Back to the Celiac Disease and gluten intolerance. Both cause stomach upset and bowel problems.Both also can cause malabsorption of vitamins and minerals.I am only 42 and I feel fine, but my numbers are bad. I have just started iron infusions for anemia and I am now taking a lot of calcium and Vitamin D for osteoporosis in my hips!!! I am hoping that being on a gluten free diet heals my intestines so that they start absorbing more nutrients. In the mean time, my stomach no longer aches all of the time and I am not always running to the bathroom ( I was told it was just IBS).Just found out my daughter has gluten intolerance , as well. She is now going gluten free and she feels much better. I have beeing reading so much about gluten and other autoimmune diseases. I really think that there is a connection between the inflammatory conditions caused by gluten( when one is pre-disposed) that may exacerbate autoimmune diseases ( like dermatomyositis).
|

User Profile
replied February 23rd, 2011
Yeah I was recently diagnosed with DM and I think that I had a gluten intolerance for years. I was just not as aware of my body back then, and just took the running to the bathroom as normal for me. A lot of my DM symptoms have gone away since the diet switch. I doubted that the gluten free was working- went of of it- and man did I feel bad. So I am sticking with the gluten free although it is difficult to follow. I was told that one's immune system is in a way wrapped in their gut, that it makes perfect sense that if for instance a gluten allergy was not taken care of that it can really mess up one's immune system...maybe even getting the ball rolling for an autoimmune disorder. I found a study of a woman in france who had DM and went on a very strict gluten free diet and all of her symptoms went away. Most of my muscle spasms, burning, numbness, and stomach issues have gone away. I can walk easier...but I have a long way to go. Apparently these things don't fix themselves over night...it could take a year or so to be fixed. But I am already seeing positive effects. I just need to be very strict to this and hope for the best.
|