Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

When to Start Feeding Them Pablum/ Solids

Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
Well hello! I have no idea when to start feeding my little one pablum. WeLL its Heinz product now. She's three and a half months old and is having a bottle every 2 - 2 1/2 hours. I think she needs something more filling then just formula. Can anyone help? I know it's a questing always asked. Sorry about that! I read the books and they all say 5 months. Maybe I just got the wrong books Razz.
Thanks!
Jodi
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile dungirl88
|

User Profile
replied July 11th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Most physicians here indicate that babies should be on breastmilk or formula alone until they are 6 months old. However, when you baby is old enough to sit up unsupported, and starts taking keen interest in your food-grabbing your plate, following your spoon to your mouth and looking at you like "Where's mine??" then these are good indications thaat he/she is ready for first foods. I do not know wat Pablum is-we do not have that here inthe states as far as I know. Some people put cereal in baby's bottle, and some people are against doing o. i did not do it because it went against the reccommendations of my pediatrician. But a lot of people do that and have children who grow up just fine.
|

User Profile
replied July 19th, 2007
My son is 4 months and Ive been feeding him rice cereal and now oatmeal cereal for about a month now. (Its the begginers by heinz.) And hes just recently started eating the begginers baby food. He gets about a tablespoon of cereal in the mourning and a tablespoon of baby food at night. With just the formual all he wanted to do was eat so we trid him on the cereal and after a while of that and with him doing good on it we tried baby food.
|

replied July 25th, 2007
Experienced User
I would try giving your introducing your baby to rice cereal, it is the first food a baby is supposed to eat, because it is a single grain cereal I would try it first in small amounts{couple of bites}. Mix it with your baby's formula in a small bowl make it kind of runny so that it is thin enough to swollow, and then gradually over the next couple of weeks make it a little thicker, as long as your baby can tolerate it. If you would like to try vegetables it probobly wouldn't hurt but I would wait a little longer to start feeding in large amounts. Start out with just plain vegetables to make sure your child isn't allergic and then you can start giving them the mixed vegetebles. Usually fruit you should wait untill they are around 5 months. It can sometimes give them a diaper rash. And after feeding the cereal I would give them the rest of their formula they usually get really tired after eating it. Good luck! Smile
|

User Profile
replied July 26th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Would someone please explain what Pablum is?
|

User Profile
replied October 7th, 2011
its infant cereal. If your baby cant get enough formula food then you give him/her a little pablum with there formula and it help then get full faster. but you have to go by the right age. if your baby is under 6 months looks for beginners. You slowly give then a little more over time but only if she or he can handle it.
|

replied July 26th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
sillyakchick wrote:
Would someone please explain what Pablum is?

i think it's rice cereal? i know it's a canadian thing...
|

User Profile
replied October 7th, 2011
its infant cereal. If your baby cant get enough formula food then you give him/her a little pablum with there formula and it help then get full faster. but you have to go by the right age. if your baby is under 6 months looks for beginners. You slowly give then a little more over time but only if she or he can handle it.
|

User Profile
replied August 1st, 2007
Experienced User
My daughter is about 4 1/2 months olds. I started her on rice cereal when she was about 3 1/2 months. Before then....i had to put the cereal in her bottle b/c she had reflux. Most doctors say that you can start feeding rice cereal when the baby is 4 months old. Some can start before that.
|

replied August 5th, 2007
Experienced User
When to Start Feeding Pablum?
Sillyakchick.....Pablum used to be the BRAND name of the cereal for babies. It has in the past few years been taken over by Heinz.

It is exactly the same as your rice cereals in the states, we just call it pablum...
it's like calling vegetable soup CAMPBELLS vegetable soup, instead of vegetable soup...
Or like calling toothpaste AQUAFRESH toothpaste...It is just the BRAND name.

I had to laugh because my hubby is from the US and when we first started our son on solids, I said...ok...we have to go and get some pablum...he laughed and said...Pablum...what the heck is that?????

Oh, and about the question of when to start solids. My pediatrician said around 5 to 6 months, but you can start them earlier like the person in one of the previous posts said...they begin to show interest.
I started mine on PABLUM...(LOL)..rice cereal for about 4 days..tolerated well..then I tried some peas with it..he seemed to get alot of gas, I since found out that when introducing vegies, start with the yellow ones first, easier on the stomach..so I then gave him carrots, then after a couple of days we did the sweet potatoes.
I just bought some squash and will try green beans next week.

The one question I have if anyone can answer is do I get him strongly eating vegies, like so I know he will eat them, before I introduce fruits???Or do I have to worry that much that he won't eat his vegies once he tries the fruit?
If anyone can give me their opinions on that, i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Susie.
|

replied November 17th, 2009
Can anyone tell me if pablum makes your baby constipated?
|

replied April 8th, 2010
Pablum-Cereal-Vegs and Fruits
Hello,

From the owner of a health store: Yes, pablum or cereal makes babies constipated because they do not have the enzymes to digest it properly. The best time to introduce cereals is about 10 months. Cereals are highly recommended by pediatricians and family doctors because of the content of iron in these that is required for babies after 6 months. However there are other sources of iron for babies, egg yolk and meats/fish are the best.

Veggies are the foods to start with. 1 month later you may introduce fruits.

Note regarding solids before 6 months, as per nurses and Dr.s: Solids before 6 months are of no value to the baby as all the baby needs comes in breastmilk or formula. This applies to babies that were born full term and healthy.
|

replied September 28th, 2010
When To Start Feedind Them Pablum/Solids
A: If you do decide to introduce Pablum ( rice cereal ), and are worried your child will get constipated or severe cramping. Don't fret, just give him diluted prune juice (no sugar added, half water half prune juice) give your baby about half an ounce a day and he/she should be fine. Also a tip, because your baby has been used to the bottle (sucking on the nipple) spoon feeding may not be the best idea. Starting it off in the bottle. Then when you decide to feed byt spoon to get your baby used to it, give him/her a bit then give them their pacifier( this will trigger the suction and help them swallow).

Hope this helps.

& don't be afraid to ask your pediatrician as well as fellow moms !
the more the merrier Very Happy

P.S don't forget to still warm up the pablum, as well as to burp your baby afterwards
|

replied December 1st, 2010
Pablum Constipation.
"Can anyone tell me if pablum makes your baby constipated? "

I learned during one of my parenting classes that Rice Cereal causes constipation, and its one of the most common causes of it. You can try other beginner cereal's instead, theres Oatmeal, etc... That may work better for you!
|

replied February 12th, 2011
there is now rice cereal by nestle with probiotic in it, which helps with gastric motility. i give my baby goodstart probiotic formula, and will introduce the probiotic rice cereal hopefully without constpation trouble.
|

replied February 17th, 2011
answer
Pablum is baby cereal , just another that it is called by.
|

replied March 10th, 2011
Pablum
These are the ingredients of Pablum (from Wikipedia). Note that it contains NO rice.

"Pablum Mixed Cereal was made from a mixture of ground and precooked wheat (farina), oatmeal, yellow corn meal, bone meal, dried brewer's yeast, and powdered alfalfa leaf, fortified with reduced iron � providing an assortment of minerals and vitamins A, B1, B2, D, and E.[1][4] Pablum is palatable and easily digested without causing side effects like diarrhea or constipation. It is also unlikely to cause allergic reactions,[citation needed] as it does not contain eggs, lactose or nuts of any kind (although it may contain wheat and corn, either of which can be allergenic for some individuals)."
|

replied March 20th, 2011
I START WEANING MY SON WHEN HE WAS 5 MONTH OLD WITH BABY RICE. BEFORE THAT HE WAS BREAST FEEDING, MOST OF THE DAY SE SPENT DRINKING AND DRINKING... YOU WANT TO TAKE IT SLOW AS THE TUMMY IS VERY WEAK . MY KID WAS VOMITING FROM COW MILK PRODUCTS ... 3 1/2 MONTH, I THINK ,IS MUCH TOO YOUNG.
|

replied October 24th, 2011
If your child was vomiting you may want to try milk formula later or even try soy. Vomit may show that your child can not digest cows milk. My child couldn't and we are now using soy formula. Soy formula may also cause constipation so keep the prune juice handy.
|
Quick Reply