Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

Tooth removal ?

I can stand the chronic pain from nerve damage after my broken neck was misdiagnosed by my HMO as stress, although my spinal cord was kinked and folded over upon itself for 4 years until I convinced them to do an xray and titanium lamination, after which I was told if I waited 2 years the nerve pain would calm down. 2 years only made them free from malpractice suits due to the statute of limitations.
However, the TMD is literally killing me. I have had so-called "TMJ athrocentisis surgery", now discredited, to 'flush' the TMjoint, where they noted that one joint had no more disc and the other completely out of place. I have had dentists cap the ruined back teeth, which has only increased the bone and facial pain. I spent years proving that I do not have migraines, but instead venous occlusions (like microstrokes) due to massive inflammation radiating from my jaws. I cannot sleep more than an hour without clenching, which is what is killing me. After 3 vials of botox each done in 12 injections the lengths of the 2 masseters, I can still chew shoe leather, although my cheeks have sunken hilariously. The botox is only safe for temporary relief, which for me is minimal and only if I tape my mouth shut, sleep on my face, and use the u-shaped springy bite wings from the drugstore (I've wasted $15,00 on dentists and am broke). I have the usual chronic illnesses due to disturbed sleep and am either in worse-than-migraine pain with spasms radiating to my toes, or recovering my ever-fewer wits like a concussion victim. Either exhausted from atrophy or in pain causing spastic colon. The strongest prescription painkillers barely dent the pain of my swollen jawbone, facial bones and nerves, and baclofen, and MS muscle relaxants like zanaflex only make me weaken further after slight temporary relief.
I haven't given up, but I could sure use some ideas on how to hang on until better therapies are devised. I have had mere hours of relief, usually followed by worse pain attacks, from physical therapy, sacrocranial massage, accupressure, massage, yoga, meditation, etc. I wonder if the biggest mistake of my life was not to take out my teeth because I have talked to many impoverished chronic pain sufferers who finally couldn't afford to pay for anything anymore, lost their teeth, and were cured.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile TMJWorld
|

User Profile
replied December 1st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
do not get your teeth removed. that is extreem and not the best idea. if the problem is not the teeth you cant go back and not only that you just created another very big problem
|

replied December 1st, 2008
TMDDYAN - never imply that Botox is injected in the TMjoint
Botox should never be injected in the TMjoint. The use of Botox is ONLY to the jaw (masseter) muscles as I clearly stated in the post you replied to. And I repeat that Botox is not a cure, as too many dentists are starting to say; at best it provides temporary relief and diagnosis, and repeated use would destroy the masseter (jaw) muscles. It can also be expensive to test ahead of time for antibodies to Botox (meaning it won't work well), or sensitivity (of which I can find zero in the literature).

I will be charitable in my reaction to your response to me, and assume that you did not fully read my post. I am dying slowly because I have central sensitivity and sleep deprivation due to longterm, severe, chronic TMD, and you are reflexively, like many dentists, saying that it is never worth removing one's teeth. I have tried everything you espouse and more, yet my head is so inflammed that I have virtual menningitis without the virus.

Let me ask you a question. What if that is the only way for me to stop dying, and stop being completely disabled, were to take out my teeth -- would you in that case agree, as has been the case for a few other people with no more TMjoint discs and chronic trigeminal, bone, and meningeal inflammation, that is the only relief? Or, would you continue to say that I am [sic] extreem?

I am happy for you that using consevative measures has cured your TMjoint pain. I wish that I had known what you now know before I reached my current level of chronic, severe, TMD pain, inflammation causing venous occlusions, sleep deprivation and associated disorders. You offer no alternatives, ignore the fact that removing teeth has worked in rare, severe cases or TMD, and tell me it's not worth considering. Your attitude from doctots for years has ruined me financially, says there is no relief from pain levels, C.S., and microstrokes that have driven a high % to suicide. Are you really willing to say that removing teeth is never worth it?
|

replied December 4th, 2008
update on severe TMD
am getting new mri's and sleep study. The reason 3 vials in 3 months of Botox was excessive and leaves me able to chew anything is because Botox was only to the masseters, which are helped by temporalis and other muscles. Luckily for me, I have not developed systemic problems from my Botox, although the systemic effect of fewer pain attacks is something I better enjoy, since I can't keep doing it any more.

Central Sensitivity from years of untreated pain might be causeing the attacks, and I'd just have to medicate myself to dullness indefinitely. However the local inflammation on the right side preceeding attacks means maybe tehre is an organic/mechanical problem, so the good speciaists at U Cal Orofacial pain at the dental school will do one more round of examination over the next 3 months.

Will update with diagnosis and prognosis.
|

replied March 6th, 2009
jforgizmo how is your pain?
jforgizmo,

I suffer from TMD also and I am trying to find answers. I have severe headaches and I have had a dentist try and fix my bite but after 6 months it seems to have gone back to the old position and the severe headaches are back. I have been a walking pharmacy the past 2 years trying different medication from my headaches. I am currently getting Botox above my eyebrows and in my neck to help with the pain and muscle spasms. I have not tried it in the masseter muscle yet. Have you found any pain relief?

Thanks you for your response
|

replied August 4th, 2010
TMJ is ruining my life!!!
Im new here tonight! I spent another full day in bed in undescribable pain!!!!!to make it worse I missed a Dr. appointment with my pain managment Dr.!!!! he has replaced me Peracet with something called Opans extended release no help at all!! Im very interested in Botox!!! dose anyone have ANY suggestions!!!!???????
|