Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Tooth pain after permanent crown (Page 1)

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I had sensitivity to hot and cold a top back molar. When I went to the dentist they discovered the tooth was cracked. She drilled the tooth and prepared it for a temp crown. A couple day later that tooth was hurting and I had to take tylenol for the pain. I called the dentist before the permanent crown was supposed to be put on to inform them of my issues and they said it was normal and that once the permanent crown went on the pain should stop. Well it's been one week today since I had the permanent crown put on and I am still in pain. It is cold sensitive and it aches like a pulsating pain. I still have to take tylenol everyday to help it. Is this normal and will it eventually go away, or did my dentist miss something? They took x-rays before and after the crown.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper bossmama78
|

replied July 4th, 2009
Community Volunteer
It really does take time...I have been this route myself...Give yourself some time...

Caroline
|

replied September 15th, 2012
Continued pain after tooth capped
My tooth pain started just after getting a cap. Each time the pain would start right after eating. I would take pain meds and it would go away after 30 min. I went back to doctor and he grounded down on the tooth to level it out. Still no results. I went back last week he did the same, no result. It has now been a month and my jaw hurts so bad I can't sleep and wake up with my jaw hurting from my ear to my neck. This is not a throbbing pain, it is a constant ache. I have had quite a few caps put on over the years, but never experienced anything like this.
|

replied August 31st, 2013
My first cap was bigger than the second one and because it went deeper into the gum, it tended to get infected because the trauma of the crowning procedure left the surrounding gum stressed and loose. What helped a lot was carefully irrigating it (with a Waterpik). Now it is much better and I always still irrigate before brushing and actually have been anyway for about 20 years prior to the crown repair. The irrigation removes food from under the gum line.

But be careful about angling the stream. Start out so that the downward angle is shallow to test how much aggressiveness the gums can tolerate. So, it's a good idea to begin shallow and go downward if comfort permits.
|

replied April 14th, 2014
I have recently found out that the GUMS are the reason why we have pain. The gums take a huge beating during the process and it might take several weeks for them to recover. Don't use harsh mouthwash like Listerine and make sure you use a waterpic and no longer floss. Rinse your mouth out regularly with a gentle mouthwash and brush with a soft brush from the gums down. Take an ibuprofen when necessary until it's better.
|

replied July 5th, 2009
X-rays don't usually show the crack and how far it goes. It IS possible your dentist didn't remove the entire crack or the crack extends all the way through the tooth in which case it cannot be saved by any means.

Continue to monitor your symptoms for a little while longer though. Cold sens is normal for awhile. Also biting can cause pain if the crown is too high - in which case it would need to be smoothed down.

Hot sensitivity is bad. And pain for no reason can be a bad sign esp if it's waking you up at night.

Your dentist should be willing to get you in for a recheck without dismissing your pain as "normal" especially if it's throbbing.
|

replied July 12th, 2009
I have a similar situation but without the throbbing toothaches.. I have sensitivity to colds and hots on the tooth after one week following permanent crown placement. Is this normal? It hasnt been waking me up at night or anything, just get sharp pains when i have cold and hot drinks.
|

replied July 13th, 2009
Hot is not usually a good sign. Could mean the tooth is dying. If it hasn't been that long since the crown was put on and biting isn't hurting I'd give it a little more time. Obviously, if thinsg get worse call your dentist.
|

replied July 23rd, 2009
On a somewhat unrelated note, I would ask for a blood test of liver enzymes. If you're taking that much Tylenol it could poison your liver. You aren't supposed to take that stuff for more than three or four days.

http://www.ucsf.edu/science-cafe/articles/ fda-acetaminophen-liver-failure-discussion -includes-ucsf-study/

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art .asp?articlekey=629

Okay, so this has been almost a month since the original post. If you're fine now you probably stayed on the right side of the line. But be careful, those articles are no laughing matter.
|

replied May 18th, 2011
re Pain under a crown/even a new one!
Even with a new crown, the tooth's nerve can just die at any time! The root, no longer being supplied with fresh oxygenated blood, next goes through a decaying process where rot forms. Gasses from rot eventually causes facial swelling and increasing pain. Consistent pain is abnormal and your dentist should be notified immediately so that the degenerating root must be removed and a Root Canal is given. He may even opt to send the patient to an endodontist to remove that diseased nerve and pack the canal with a solid filling which is then re-covered by a new crown. Bonnie,RN and dental patient
|

replied May 18th, 2011
re Pain under a crown/even a new one!
Even with a new crown, the tooth's nerve can just die at any time! The root, no longer being supplied with fresh oxygenated blood, next goes through a decaying process where rot forms. Gasses from rot eventually causes facial swelling and increasing pain. Consistent pain is abnormal and your dentist should be notified immediately so that the degenerating root must be removed and a Root Canal is given. He may even opt to send the patient to an endodontist to remove that diseased nerve and pack the canal with a solid filling which is then re-covered by a new crown. Bonnie,RN and dental patient
|

replied April 5th, 2012
I had a crown put in a couple of weeks ago, and I only have sensitivity when biting down on something hard, such as an almond. The strange thing is, that I didn't feel anything when the temporary crown was on. The dentist leveled and checked the bit multiple times, and that didn't resolve the issue. This was due to a cracked tooth, so I'm not sure what the solution is.. the sensitivity I can live with, but I never had that with other crowns.
|

replied April 23rd, 2012
This post contains lots of great information about crowned tooth. This is such a great resource that you have provided and you give it away for free.
|

replied June 13th, 2012
Sharp throbbing pain!!!
I'm facing a similar situation at the moment. I just got a permanent crown on my front tooth yesterday. I felt the sharp throbbing pain yesterday and it just got worse today. The gum doesn't hurt and there is no sign of inflammation (swollen) but the whenever I touch the tooth it hurts like crazy. I can even feel the pain when my heart beats (blood flows). I suspect that when the dentist installed the post core, he pushes the core in too strong. The same strength was applied when installing the crown. Too much pressure pressing against the jaw I guess. I will give a week to see if the pain will go away or not. Just took 2 advils and will take more in several hours. I've had several crowns put on but this is the only time that it hurts so bad.
|

replied July 13th, 2012
Permanent Crown
I had a permanent crown put on a very back bottom tooth on Monday, July 9, 2012. I had a root canal done on this tooth 4 weeks ago. I don't have problems with hot and cold but my gums ache like crazy around that crown is that normal?
|

replied August 9th, 2012
Do you answer these or do people just post?
|

replied September 7th, 2012
Crown
hehe omg idk.... but I just got 2 crowns on my teeth yesterday for the first time ever and im 15 it freaking sucked it hurts right now and yesterday At the end when he said he was almost done I was umm dude I can feel what you are doing to me so stop because it fricken hurts and he was like hold on were almost done I just got to get rid of a little more tissue and my eyes O_O were like that so yeah I felt it and he was like well that was a challenge for me hope you had fun and im like hell nahh im gettin out of here
|

replied September 15th, 2012
I have a crown that is causing me pain what happened is I have a full upper denture i wanted to replace it because it is worn out and i needed a partial for the lower teeth I went to two dentists trying to find one to do a root canal on one tooth and remove a wisdom tooth that had broken off, neither would do it they both wanted to extract so i submitted to this and when this dentist got finished with the two bad teeth he proceeded to taking out a perfectly good tooth that had a perfect root canal and crown. while doing that he knocked a cap off the tooth next to it and after he glued that back on they took me off the nitrous oxide and said i would have to come back and remove the rest of my teeth. at the time and under the influence of the gas i thought it was hopeless i might as well go for it. a couple of days later the tooth he knocked the crown off of started to hurt I have been taking ibuprofen 8 pills a day for about three weeks I went to yet another dentist to see what he said about pulling the rest of the teeth and to see what was causing the pain in the crown and he couldn't find the source of the pain and i am still in pain that was 4 days ago he was going to look into my insurance and find me some funding for a partial i need 2 root canals and a crown on the front teeth but now i believe i must have a crowned tooth with a crack in it which is causing my pain thanks to the above information
|

replied October 25th, 2012
I got a permanent crown on 9/5. The side cracked off on 9/23. Had a 2nd crown put on tooth on 10/10. Since then, it's really sensitive to cold and has a dull, constant throb. When I eat anything hard ( nuts), it hurts. Have been to the dentist 6 times with this one crown. Dentist said my bit was off & adjusted. Still have throb, sensitivity, & it feels like a foreign object in my mouth.This is crazy & scary. Have never had dental issues, other than a couple of cavities.
|

replied November 22nd, 2012
2nd Molar Cracked and Crowned
Just got back from the Dentist office - I had my Molar Crown done today, the old filling was silver - which caused the crack to form in 4 seperate sides of the 2nd molar as a result of chewing pressure. That filling was removed out and a crown impression was taken 4 days back. Now I have the permanent crown installed and it hurts really bad... I can't chew - Get a throbing pain and sensation. Can't drink cold liquids.. Super super sensitive. and doctor didn't care enough to even mention anything about pain killers so I am stuck really bad.
|

replied March 22nd, 2013
Hi just been readin all your posts... Have any of you had any luck in resolving your pain? I have just had root canal done on my tooth which was infected and decayed after which my dentist gave me a crown to save my tooth. For 2 weeks after the procedure I had no pain, for which I am now suffering. I have been back to my dentist prescribed 2 lots of antibiotics and told I have an infection... I feel like something else is wrong... Hot and super cold drinks are the worst, I have to drink Luke warm water. I have been taking co codamol for almost 2 weeks and they are only supposed to be taken for 3 days. My dentist after going back a 2nd time advised me that my root canal has been successful, he adjusted the bite of my crown and has not mentioned what I should do about the pain.. Should I get a 2nd opinion or hope that the pain goes..
|

replied March 28th, 2013
About two weeks ago I had three crowns put on. All on the right side. Two were replacements, and one was for a decaying tooth. I've had a lot of pain with hot and cold drinks on all of them, and I can't chew on that side either.I went back to the dentist today, because it wasn't getting better. His opinion is that I've got a lot of gum irritation, and because I had so much work done that my teeth are just sensitive right now. No sign of infection. He said pain can happen when the tooth has been worked on and is basically loose in the socket. It tkes a while to seat itself and become tight again. If there's no releaf or it gets worse next week, I should go back in, but he thinks I should see an improvement in two weeks. He said he could do a root canal and that would for sure stop the hot and cold pain, but for right now, we see if we can avoid it. If you're still having pain after a root canal, that would indicate something more that your dentist should check out.
|

replied April 4th, 2013
Crowned back molar sensitive to hot and cold
I had my top molar 2nd from the back crowned without root canal treatment, I opted for a gold crown because i am a tooth grinder unfortunately. My top molar had a silver large filling in it, and when my dentist removed the filling i had some hairline cracks in my tooth. Anyway she prepared it for to be crowned and I had the permanent one done. I have sensitivity to hot and cold now, aches now and again, my fear is now maybe I did need root canal treatment on it afterall. I am going to give it a fornight to see if it settles down or I am going back. Also I have gargled with lux warm water with seasalt in it, it calms the tooth down, and using a sensitive toothpaste, it helps me.
|

replied April 6th, 2013
Excruciating pain continues after crown
Single mom without dental insurance. Cracked molar caused the most excruciating pain I've ever felt - extended from jaw to inner ear. Unable to sleep, eat or work. Found a dentist who took new patient emergencies, and he first said the tooth would need to be extracted. Then, after learning I had to pay out of pocket, he told me he was going to do a crown to save the tooth, which is $1500 more than extraction. He also gave me an estimate for a root canal on the bill, as if he was already planning to do that next. The temp felt fine -my tooth pain was gone. But after the permanent crown was put on today, that side is in constant pain, so sensitive I can't touch it with my tongue. I told the dentist I couldn't bite down before I left his office but was dismissed. I knew something was wrong but they insist it's normal. I've had root canals, bridges, crowns - never hurt AFTER the repair like this. Today's xrays revealed 8 new problems with cracked or old fillings that need replacing to the tune of another $3000. I'm feeling this Dr is just racking up sales and doesn't have my best interest at heart. Can't afford to date different dentists until I find a good one - I'm in pain, taking Ibu and Aleve way too long and just feel scared and helpless, esp when you spend money you don't have and it doesn't resolve the pain.
|

replied May 21st, 2013
Just received a permenant crown yesterday for a tooth that was broken. After being preped for the temp. crown(upper left, bicuspid) not only did it become painful but it also affected the lower left molar, which in turn has become painful as well. Only thing I can figure is that the prep for the crown is sending off signals to my other teeth, which is why the bottom molar is in pain as well. Yesterday I went back to the dentist to get the perm. crown placed. I informed my dentist of the pain. He inspected the tooth and said that the tooth looked fine and that the perm. crown should stop the pain. He told me to give it a few days or so and then come back if the pain continued. He also preped me for 2 more crowns(right side, bicuspids), they too are now irritated. My dentist has done crowns on me prior to these and they all came out just fine. There was only 1 time ever where the tooth was irritated from the temp. crown. I took 2 ibuprofen every 8-12 hrs. or so. However, the day before I went back to get the perm. crown the pain/sensitivity just simply vanished. Im praying that this pain will do the same. Any thoughts on what could be going on here? I know thats a vague question given the fact that it could be a number of things.Im irritated at the fact of, Before all the drilling in my mouth began to attempt to "fix' the issue I had no pain at all. Now that the issue is "fixed" it hurts and Im left taking 2 Ibuprofen every 8-12 hrs. Should have left well enough alone!
|

replied May 21st, 2013
Temporary crown turns permanent...Still painful!
Leah33 wrote:
Just received a permenant crown yesterday for a tooth that was broken. After being preped for the temp. crown(upper left, bicuspid) not only did it become painful but it also affected the lower left molar, which in turn has become painful as well. Only thing I can figure is that the prep for the crown is sending off signals to my other teeth, which is why the bottom molar is in pain as well. Yesterday I went back to the dentist to get the perm. crown placed. I informed my dentist of the pain. He inspected the tooth and said that the tooth looked fine and that the perm. crown should stop the pain. He told me to give it a few days or so and then come back if the pain continued. He also preped me for 2 more crowns(right side, bicuspids), they too are now irritated. My dentist has done crowns on me prior to these and they all came out just fine. There was only 1 time ever where the tooth was irritated from the temp. crown. I took 2 ibuprofen every 8-12 hrs. or so. However, the day before I went back to get the perm. crown the pain/sensitivity just simply vanished. Im praying that this pain will do the same. Any thoughts on what could be going on here? I know thats a vague question given the fact that it could be a number of things.Im irritated at the fact of, Before all the drilling in my mouth began to attempt to "fix' the issue I had no pain at all. Now that the issue is "fixed" it hurts and Im left taking 2 Ibuprofen every 8-12 hrs. Should have left well enough alone!
|

User Profile
replied January 22nd, 2014
Crowns are often needed when a large cavity threatens the ongoing health of a tooth.Crowns can be made from many materials, which are usually fabricated using indirect methods. Crowns are often used to improve the strength or appearance of teeth. While inarguably beneficial to dental health, the procedure and materials can be relatively expensive. So use good material used crown so it will not gives you that much pain...
|
12 >>